Celestion G12H-30 or Classic Lead 80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Humbucker, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

Can someone tell me how the Celestion Classic Lead 80 compares to the G12H-30? How similar are they? I'm looking for a higher wattage alternative to the G12H for use in a 2x12, and I've heard a lot of good things about the CL80s. I tried out Eminence Wizards, but I'd prefer something closer to the G12H-30.

2. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I for one think they sound too dark, but a lot of people love them. Bogner puts them in their 1x12 combos standard. But I am a classic rock head, and desire the tighter bass sound of a V30. I will say they sound great for Mesa-ish grind ... guess it depends on what you are playing.

If you are looking for a Classic 80 16 ohm, let me know.

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I inquired about the same thing. The CL80 is the closest Celestion to the G12H30, but will handle high gain better. Notes stay articulated when playing with distortion. Very balanced, without the V30 mid harshness.

4. Ricker

Ricker Member

I find the cl80s to be a bit smoother than the g12h30s but as previously stated I think the bass on them is bigger but not as tight as the v30s and even the g12h30s.
    G12h30s and cl80 do share similarities with the g12h30 being a bit more aggressive and more detailed in the top-end.............I thinkg12h30s for more cleaner stuff and cl80s for more Drive orientated music.................but hey what do I know I'm a v30 guy.

Rick

5. Ced777

Ced777 Member

CL80 are thicker with more mids (but lass than V30) than G12H30. Very versatile (clean are good but not great), but shining under heavy distortion.

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Member

So, based on the comments so far, would a 2x12 with one H30 and one CL80 work well? Anyone tried that combo? I have read many times of people combining an H30 w/ a V30, but what about the H30 & CL80?

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I've never tried it, but I doubt there would be any point. They're quite similar tonally, even with the differences mentioned already - not enough that each would really add much to the combination, IMO. Also, the pair would only be rated at 60W, because the 30 limits it - so actually you'd get more power handling if you just used the 80 alone, and be able to drive it more fully. You'd be as well to use two the same - and get the same 60W with two G12H-30s, or 160W with two 80s.

I think that combinations where the speakers are less alike in tone and more similar in power handling work better - especially G12M-25/G12H-30 (for clean and lower gain), G12-65/G12-80 (for tighter crunch and smooth medium gain) and V30/CL80 (for modern clean and high gain).

Just my opinion. There are plenty of combinations I haven't tried - sometimes it's quite difficult to predict exactly what the result will be... I would never have expected that mixing a V30 with a G12T-75 would sound good, but it does.

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Member

Very informative and helpful post. Thank you for your comments.

9. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

I have a Dr. Z "Z best" 2 12 cab that came with the stock G12H30 and Vintage 30. I found the v30 to be too harsh in the upper midrange so I substituted a Classic lead 80. It's perfect. I love the combination and have yet to play a 2 12 cab that works better for my applications.

Dan

10. beej

beej Supporting Member

FWIW, that's the combo in my Guytron 2x12, and it sounds phenomenal.

11. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

Hmm. Sounds like the CL80s might be a good alternative to the G12Hs. My dilemma is that I've got a Germino with KT-88s that probably puts out over 60W cranked, so it may not be safe to run it with a G12H30 loaded 2x12. On the other hand, I never go past 3-4 on the volume. Will I be okay with G12H30s, which I love, or should I compromise and play is safe with CL80s?

12. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

I was poking around on eBay and noticed some G12H-80s and G12H-100s. How close are these to the G12H-30s?

13. Glaze

Glaze Member

Humbucker

My THD Flexi head through my Bogner 4x12 with G12H30's sounds good. Using the Flexi through the THD 2x12 with CL80's that I have actually sounds better to me. Not many people talk about the CL80's and I think this is mostly due to only a small percentage of guitar players have actually tried them. Buzz Feiten and Andy Marshall both told me they preferred this model of Celestion over all the new Celestions a few years ago. The CL80's in my 2x12 sound great and I'm really happy with them.

The best overdriven tone I ever had was a malfunctioning Vintage 50 watt Marshall Plexi head going through a vintage Marshall 4x12 with 25 watt Greenbacks in it. That Marshall head had a wire with almost every strand of copper broken in it except for a few and this caused the tubes to slowly get hotter and hotter. The hotter the tubes got the better that amp sounded until I had to shut it down for fear of melting the tubes. I ended up blowing one speaker in that cab due the head malfunctioning(I'm pretty sure it was sending a high current to the speakers to ruin them).

Many people still prefer vintage Celestions because they sound better. Be careful of vintage cabs because you really have to avoid reconed speakers and just buy a nice clean all original cab with speakers that do not need to be reconed. This is the most expensive route, but it holds it's value and goes up in value every year as long as you don't blow speakers and have to have them reconed.

Mike

14. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I'm running the CL80/G12H combo in my 2x12 & it sounds phenomenal. Brighter, overall, than my VHT 2x12 (stock, Emi/VHT 'P50's?). Tight, articulate bass, strong, but not nasal/honky mids & plenty of high-end definition. Very present, w/o being harsh. This is with- TCM FLE, Mesa Single Rectifier ((7581As) B-1:00, M-2:00, T-3:00, P-5:00 Gain-12:00, 'vintage' mode) & solid mahogany, open back cab (28"w x 23"h x 12"d).

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I've tried the CL80 and didn't like it as well a the g12h. Yes it does have alot of bass and more presence, but the highs seemed a tad peeky side to me. There is a good chance my amp may have been a little bright for the CL80 to begin with so I don't want to just slam it.

16. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

The Original 25 Watt Greenback speaker is the epitomy of the "Ultimate" Marshall cabinet. Celestian Greenbacks have a pleasent and full sound with excellent bottom end and very smooth mids and they can really grind it out or take distortion well. G12H30s are good speakers as well although with not as much breeakup as the G12M 25s. The G12H30 doesnt have a tendency to get "mushy" when pushed VERY HARD so as to your question about if the G12H30s can handle a lot of power, YES they can! Both speakers are EXCELLENT choices.

Shuld you buy reissue or Original stock or vintage types? The G12H30s are said to be more accurate in construction and their design to their Vintage bretheren and do sound good. Plenty of tone heads like trhe G12M-254 watt greenback reissue though it does a LOT more brightness in its tonal characteristics. I am going with a recommendation from Dave S at Legendarytones when he says and I qoute, again "IN THE END , my choice is my 71' solid-back basketweave cabinet loaded with G12M-25s with ORIG. CONES!Sounds great and BETTER to my ears than any of my other cabinets,EVEN when playing NEWER Marshalls!" THanks to Dave S. for the contributory info.

I would tend to agree with Dave. The guy has had the opportunity to play through just about every new issue, reissue, specioal edition and every vintage type speaker known to human kind. As well, his website does constant reviews on every amp/ piece of eqpt under the sun and over the years he has had just about everything come and go thru his hands! I would say if your going for high gain Master Volume modern tones in my opinion I like the G12T75s and V30s mixed in my Ubercab Bogner 4x12" with my 1981 Marshall JCM800 2203 100 watt head. As far as my Marshall 1959HW I just got I already habve a G12H30 Hand Wired matching bottom which sounds great. Clean gain type structure and holds tone well. Nice lows and actually a very even response across the spectrum. I am also going with this advice and grabbing myself and early 70s solidback w/Greenbacks for the Plexi amp. THe G12H30s will handle more power as stated above. Hope this helps some