Celestion G12H30 70th anniv : ¿Are they Blackbacks H75 reissues?

Dannyz

Thats my question. Sometimes, the 70th anniv celestion speaker gets bashed at forums for its icepick and high treble out of the box. I didnt tried them but i would like to know if they´re a reissue of late 70s H75 Blackbacks (lead cones) since it got the Kurt Mueller cone and heavy magnet. That would be a nice addition to my speaker collection.

As an additional question...what other speakers pair well with these and what configuration works best? Do they pair well with 55hz bass cones greenbacks or blackbacks? maybe g12M reissues or V30s?

Please enlighten me.

sickboy79

I don't believe the 70th G12H30 is a RI of the Blackback. It was meant to be the original. To my ears, they sound different than Blackbacks (mine are 55hz bass cone versions). The 70th G12H30 does warm up over time though and the high end smooths out. At least in my experience.

As far as pairing them, I think they are fantastic with GBs. I know others like them with a V30 or Blues but, I haven't tried those combos myself.

I'm a fan of the 70th G12H30. One of my favorite speakers for sure. Hope that helps a little.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I don't believe the 70th G12H30 is a RI of the Blackback. It was meant to be the original. To my ears, they sound different than Blackbacks (mine are 55hz bass cone versions). The 70th G12H30 does warm up over time though and the high end smooths out. At least in my experience.

As far as pairing them, I think they are fantastic with GBs. I know others like them with a V30 or Blues but, I haven't tried those combos myself.

I'm a fan of the 70th G12H30. One of my favorite speakers for sure. Hope that helps a little.
I'm running a 70th Annie in my '71 SFDR and I like it a lot. The H magnet helps keep the amp from getting flubby.

Bruce Clement

Platinum Supporting Member
My favorite speaker - well rounded and just good sounding. Tho I'm liking the new Creamback 75 lately.

abnerfm

I tried 2 of them. The first sounded like you described: icepick highs. I got ear fatigue in 2 minutes. Strangely, the second one was nothing harsh, it sounded like a Heritage G12-65 with a little more clarity and less compression. Very nice. I hope you get "the good ones" (or try an Eminence Wizard, which is great, too)

i bought one to replace the eminence that came in a jet city cab. the eminence sounded way better to me.

not a bad sounding speaker, though. pretty even range of frequencies, nothing exciting. very middle of the road.

Dannyz

I'been bumping the wrong thread lol. Sorry for that.

Anyone paired these 70th annivs with G12M ri Greenbacks on a 4x12?

Both have same cones (Kurt Mueller 1777) and similar sensitivity (98db vs 99db). The G12M ri sounds blackback-ish, more agressive than a real Greenback, more punch, more bark.
I've been guessing if the 70th anniv is the same thing but with an H magnet.

woof*

I'been bumping the wrong thread lol. Sorry for that.

Anyone paired these 70th annivs with G12M ri Greenbacks on a 4x12?

Both have same cones (Kurt Mueller 1777) and similar sensitivity (98db vs 99db). The G12M ri sounds blackback-ish, more agressive than a real Greenback, more punch, more bark.
I've been guessing if the 70th anniv is the same thing but with an H magnet.
Not familiar with the speakers in question, but my blackbacks are not aggressive sounding any more than my vintage greenbacks.

Trending Topics