Celestion G12M-70

PLX

MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once
Just picked up a Laney 4x12 cab at an estate sale, and it's loaded with these.

Cannot find any specs online.

What is the wattage rating on these ?

Sam Sherry

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
That's the speaker I use in my 5E3+! 70 Watt rating.

It came in a bargain-basement cab, and it is perfect for me in this slot. Warm and clean for jazz but tightness tames the notorious 5E3 flub.

If you seek it out online you will find the metal-heads never warmed to these. As always, it's about finding the right spot.

PLX

What kind of tone are you looking for?
It's more like.. I got this cab for $50 at an estate sale, and I've never heard of or seen this model Celestion speaker.

FWIW, I found this review online :

"The G12M-70 uses a 35oz ceramic magnet with a 1.5" diameter voice coil wound on Kapton. We would class it as a 'Modern Voiced' speaker, which is characterized by a forward, prominent mid with crunch, and a slightly compressed sound compared to the Vintage Voiced speakers, but with much better definition when high gain are used, and greater versatility when used with tone shaping electronics such as multi FX, modelling preamps etc.
It has a power rating of 70W RMS (guitar signal), a frequency response from 88 to 5kHz approximately, and a sensitivity of 97-98dB (1W@1m).

It has a tight, bright and defined sound with good clarity in the treble, and has been very popular for many years in many applications. On its own (i.e. 1x12) it can be a bit bass light for some styles (e.g. some heavy metal styles), but its defined character makes it a natural for 4x12 and 2x12 applications."

I might use it for recording. Possibly replace one speaker with something different to allow me to blend different tones.

Frankly I would just use the cabinet and see if you like the speakers. If not you could always change them out 1 at a time. I suggest the Eminence GB128. A 4x12 full of them is very nice.

Reactions: PLX

PLX

Frankly I would just use the cabinet and see if you like the speakers. If not you could always change them out 1 at a time. I suggest the Eminence GB128. A 4x12 full of them is very nice.
I'm strictly in a small home studio these days - gigging days are behind me.

Usually do silent recording thru a reactive load, impulse responses, etc.

But I also play thru a cab at moderate volume and close mic.

Thanks for the tip on the GB128, I'll check it out. :aok

bigtone23

Those were kinda the whipping boy speakers in the 90s, much like how the G12T75 are the whipping boys of today. I dunno, my 1995 Marshall 1936 with the stock 75s sounds killer.
Anyhoo...
I had a 80s/early 90s era Laney straight front 4x12" with the metal grille with 4 G12M70s in it. Got it for $100. The speakers were well broken in and sounded great. When new, they are rather bright. They really sound their best in 2 and 4x12" cabs, but are good if you need to shave bass in a combo.

Tommy_G

I had a pal with a 50W Marshall JCM800 combo with 2x G12-70s.

He used pedals into the clean channel and in a band context I thought he had amazing tone. He wasnt happy so got some replacements but they never sounded as good to my ears as those but he liked the new ones better.

Maybe its like how some guys say Mesas sound best when other people play them.

Last edited:

Trending Topics