Celestion GL12-65?

malko

I have an old Marshall JCM 800 Bass cabinet i bought about 15 years ago, it hasnt been in use in 10. Took off the back today for a look at it seems like its loaded with Rola Celestion Gl12-65s. These are not the reissues but the originals. From what i remember the cab with a Superlead 100 watt sounded very nice. Cant find too much out about these but it seems like they are louder Greenbacks. Is this true? Are they worth anything? I am thinking of making a 2x12 cab and putting 2 in and getting shot of the others. Also they are 15 ohms.Should these be treated at 16?

bbutler123

I've read a bit on them lately. As I understand it, yes they are to be treated exactly as 16-ohm. And they are said to sound like Greenbacks, just more power handling capacity. Good for you for noticing that. :)
They are possibly the most common speakers to be used in Marshall's 4x12s in history. And I read that it is felt by many that they are the BEST speakers that were ever commonly used in 4x12 cabs. They are rather expensive now, as they try to recreate the originals and call them "Heritage".

I just bought one (made by Warehouse). Can't wait to see how it sounds with my JCM800 combo.

malko

yes i seem to remember when i giged with it back then a lot of people commented on the tone. The cab is pretty battered now and a bit damp/rotten. So im thinking of taking them out and making a 2x12. Would that be okay with a JMP Superlead 100 Watt head? I assume with each of them being 65 Watt it wont leave tons of headroom.