Celestion Gold 12" Fizzy

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by oddjobpeters, Mar 9, 2008.

1. oddjobpeters

oddjobpeters Member

I have the Gold speaker in my Traynor YCV40WR tube amp. I was wondering if anyone else found the speaker to sound fizzy when running distorted tones through it. It sounds fine directly on-axis, no fizz at all. In fact it sounds amazing right in front of the cone, but anywhere off-axis, very pronounced fizz. Is it a break-in issue? I have the Blue as well and it doesn't seem to have this problem. Both only have about 2 hours on them.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Break in will usually help.

Note that this is a fairly bright, in a good way, speaker and will accentuate fizz in your pedals and amp more than a darker speaker. Some control tweaking may be in order.

3. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I'm using a Gold w/ my Allen and have maybe 30 hours on it and I think it is still warming up a bit,Give it time.

4. DavidH

DavidH Member

It's a very revealing speaker,particularly in the high end.So if the amp has fizz the gold will highlight it,or any other artifacts at the treble end of things for that matter,good or bad.I've had the same problem.Break in made no difference.

5. oddjobpeters

oddjobpeters Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I just find it odd that when listening on-axis, even at larger distances, the distortion is perfectly smooth with no fizziness whatsoever. And when I swap out for the Blue, while there is a bit of the same fizziness, it is nowhere near as pronounced - basically negligable. Maybe the Gold really is meant to be run at 20-30 Watts to get into same territory as the Blue?

6. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Based on what I've read, give them some break in time and yes they like a bit of power. DavidH is also right, the Gold will highlight all of the characters of your amp for better or worse. RS