Celestion Gold, a high powered Blue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pete12string, Mar 23, 2020 at 6:48 PM.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I wanted to put a UK Celestion Blue (15w) into my Li’l Dawg D-Lux 5e3 that has a 25w OT but I am afraid the speaker won’t handle the wattage. The amp is probably somewhere around 20w I would guess. Will the Gold be a better choice or are there other “high powered Blues” that I should check out?

2. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Yes.....and no.

I find the Gold is more scooped in the mids and has more, and tighter, lows. But really close.

I find the Weber Alnico Blue Dog's to be more "tame" sounding, but really nice sounding.

lostpoet2 and pete12string like this.
  3. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I have the Gold, Scumnico and Weber 12A125S 30 watter. All great, but the 12A125S will get you to some magic old American tones. 30 watts will work with Weber, they are conservatively rated.

Yes, Gold is very nice. There are comparisons to the Blue. I believe they are similar under respective volumes to wattage.

It's been years since I've had the Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell, but also very nice if you want to order to spec.

pete12string likes this.
  4. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Since people have been running Celestion Blues in their Deluxe Reverbs with virtually no problems for years now, a Tweed Deluxe should pose no problem for it.

Several years ago it was implied that the 'real' wattage of a Celestion Blue is 25 watts, and would suggest why DR's can run them.

pete12string likes this.
  5. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

If you want a higher powered Blue check out the Scumback S75-PVC.

Great speaker and comes in a few wattage options.

6. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I guess I should have mentioned...I've been running a Celestion Blue in my Dr. Z Maz 18. These amps are notoriously known for being very under rated on their power. I'm sure, fully cranked, I'm pushing 25+ watts. I wouldn't do that for a long period of time, but unless you plan running at full blast all the time, you should be fine.

I honestly wouldn't want to be in the same room as someone running a 5e3 and a Blue - full volume (that would be really loud)!

pete12string likes this.
  7. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

This is my experience as well. I used to own both in separate 1x12 cabinets, and I sold the blue because I found the gold to be a lot more versatile. People also say great things about the 90w Alnico Cream, if you want a slightly more mellow tone than the blue.

eigentone, magilla and pete12string like this.
  8. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I ended up getting the 90w Alnico Cream and LOVE it in 2 of my amps, not so much so in another.

It seems to work well with really bright amps, it helps tame a little of that top end and thickens up the tone a little in the low-mids.

My Dr. Z Stingray LOVES this speaker, as well as my Mesa TA30... These are two amps that can get pretty bright. This speaker really impressed me a lot, in both amps. But I didn't like it in my Maz Jr 18 Mk.II. That's a thicker sounding amp anyways, and they just didn't seem to match up well together.

pete12string likes this.
  9. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Blues can take a real drubbing before they pop. I wouldn't worry about one in a 20 watter unless you plan on running it full out with a boost in front for long periods.

rumbletone and pete12string like this.
  10. pete12string

I have the Alnico Cream too. I agree, it’s a mellow speaker. I also love it in a few of my amps - too mellow for others. I think I want something brighter for the 5e3.

11. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Gold Supporting Member

I like Blues with a 5E3 - gives it a nice bite in that high mid / treble range and has a great bark once you get some grind going. Nice clean, as well.

I’ve also used (and have on hand) a 12A125A - that’s what was in my Li’l Dawg when I got it (I got absurdly lucky and picked mine up used - has all the offered upgrades and then a couple).

That speaker was nice and offered a great tone - exactly what you would expect. Maybe a bit less of a high mid point on it than the Blue but a bit more extended in the upper treble. It sounded a bit honkier when driven than I would have liked. Great sounding speaker, just splitting hairs at this point. Very pretty clean, and for clean / lower volume applications where I want a bit more sparkle it would (and will) go back in.

But then I put my Alnico Cream in. Game over.

The amp can still get plenty bright - either on the bright channel and/or raising the tone control up to that 9-10 slot that for many is the default due to the increased gain there, but can be a bit harsh or fatiguing when not at “loud loud” louder volumes - and I typically play “moderate to loud rehearsal volumes” at home.

But the Cream just sounds so killer. Cleans are great, and it responds to all my overdrives really well - Handwired Sweet Honey OD (can even get borderline chimey / grindy for almost a Vox dirty but sparkly rhythm thing with that), 1980 TS-808 that I love (I run it dark - tone typically all the way off like Eric Johnson, maybe a bit of tone occasionally for a bit more bite/cut), King Tone Duellist - both sides)/

It sounds so good that I’ve been running my Alessandro head - which I typically run into a Hard Trucker style 2x12 with a well broken in and sweet sounding V30 (typically not my speaker but this one has been pummeled into compliance) and a 1976 G12M Blackback 55Hz - into the Cream that’s sitting in my Li’l Dawg when I want a different flavor than my 5E3. Jim’s amps are incredible, as a side note!

TL;DR? Sure, Blues are great. Golds are alright and good too, the above description is consistent with my experience. But the Cream is the best speaker I’ve played for a surprisingly wide range of applications and leaves me completely thrilled.

pete12string and buddyrama like this.
  12. Pongo

Pongo Member

This.

The Alnico Cream is wonderful paired with a Creamback H-75... It can sound great and warm up an overly bright amp in open-back, 1x12" settings, too, but I always wonder if it's more user-error on my part when a speaker "saves" my amp (hey genius, did ya remember to dial back the treble/tone knob?). Excellent "pairing speaker" though, IMO. Too bad they're like a million dollars each lol.

Regarding the Blues... nothing sounds exactly like those but a Blue (and even Blue fans differentiate between types of Blue), but from a pure sound aesthetics perspective highly recommend the Scumnico S75 over the Gold. I've literally never heard anyone play through one without thinking "I need that cabinet!" and the lowest handling it has is 30 watts which gives you more breathing room (they're also sold in 65 and 100 watt versions if you need). There are some decent sound clips on the Scumback website, but it's best to find a friend who has one and feel it live.

13. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

The Blue will likely be ok in a 5e3 if you’re judicious with the volume. If you are cranking the amp full up, you’re at the upper limit of its power handling and there’s some level of risk. If you’re also boosting it with dirt pedals, I’d say that’s too risky.

The 65W Scumback S75 PVC is the closest thing to a higher powered Blue out there. It’s very similar, and many people will prefer it to the Blue as the top end isn’t as brash and it has better note definition and clarity.

The S75 is about 98dB, so you will loose a slight bit of volume compared to a Blue.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 7:58 AM
  14. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

I have used blues and golds for years and am especially fond of golds in almost any amp...however...I have really taken to Jupiter Alnicos and would highly recommend one for use in any tweed style amp....not quite as hi-fi and strident as a Gold...softer but not flabby low end and less sizzle on the top end...really sweet mids that are not overly scooped....

pete12string likes this.
  15. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

Yeah, the late Ken Fisher(Trainwreck) was a big proponent of the Blue being really a 25 watter.

pete12string likes this.
  16. pete12string

So how about 2 Blues with a JTM45 (Germino Classic 45) @ 30 watts? Safe?

17. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

A Mesa/Boogie with a Creamback (ceramic or alnico) is, I've found, almost always an excellent combination.

pete12string likes this.
  18. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

I would think but you might want to check in with Hogy on this site.

pete12string likes this.
  19. sprawlstopper

sprawlstopper Member

Just curious: have you looked into the Celestion Alnico Ruby?

pete12string likes this.
  20. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

I've run a Blue and a G12H30 with my JTM45 for years without any problems.

BUT, I've always played clean. Never really taken the amp up over about 4 on the volume (more than loud enough for most bands, I'd imagine). If you're taking it to 10 regularly that might be a problem (but, seriously, where are you playing where you could do that?).

pete12string likes this.