Celestion Gold + PRRI = ?

vashondan

Gold Supporting Member
Thinking about replacing the stock speaker and really like the tone of this speaker but...do you think it maintains the Princeton thing. Don't know another word for that but don't want to lose the reason I bought the PRRI in the first place.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
Subscribed. I've seen a lot of differing opinions on what to replace the stock speaker with.

ledzep618

10" Gold is the jam if you have to stick with a 10". If I were you i'd replace the baffle for a 12" speaker though, Ive never heard a Princeton that sounded better with a 10 over a 12.

71strat

Bobby Whitlok modified Clapton/Allmans Princeton RVB ( They both used it ) to run with 6L6s, and a JBL D120F when they recorded Layla. I also believe they modded a Champ to run a D120F also. Also possibly a 6L6 but cant remember.

I myself would put the Celestion Cream in it for $20 more $$ vs the Gold. IMHO the Cream is the best speaker Celestion has made in years. IMHO its got better highs vs Blue, and better Lows vs Gold, and is very smooth, and is good in a Fender circuit.

I use 2 of them with a Blackfaced 69 Dual Showman Rvb/ODS mod. I recommend this speaker with most Fender circuits. Incl Tweed. I also use them with a LTD ED Metro GMP45 Head

If you've already got the Gold. Use it. Its a good speaker.

But if not, spend the extra $20 and get the 90 watt Cream/Alnico. IMHO the Cream is $20 better vs Gold.

Also for CHEAP.. Avatar is going to have the Fane A60/A90 Alnico for sale in early January for $225. Ceramic F70/F90s are even cheaper.

Also look into the Tone Tubby Purple Haze for more American/JBL/K120

erksin

A coworker had the Gold in his PRRI for quite a long time and it sounded great, but on a whim tried the Jupiter 10SC in it and that speaker was IT for that amp. If you like the Jensen thing and want bigger with more freq range then get the Jupiter.

I have the Gold in my 6G2 Princeton and IMO it's perfect in that amp but the 6G2 is a different beast altogether.

vashondan

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting, I'll check out the Cream and the Jupiter. The other two I had thought about were the Emi Copperhead and the Weber 10F150T. Any thoughts on those? I don't want to use pedals if I don't have to so I don't want too much headroom.

BigPapiFan

Gold Supporting Member
To me the stock speaker was OK. The Rajin' Cajun sounded very nice and louder, and the Weber Neo 10 was terrific. However, I much prefer the sound of the All Tone 1025. It has a terrific sound with a bit of top end sparkle that make the PRRI sound like a terrific Fender amp. YMMV.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting, I'll check out the Cream and the Jupiter. The other two I had thought about were the Emi Copperhead and the Weber 10F150T. Any thoughts on those? I don't want to use pedals if I don't have to so I don't want too much headroom.

The alnico cream is a 12", so I don't think that's where you're going. I haven't heard the Jupiter. If you're going for a straight in tone, without pedals, then I would consider a Weber 10A125, 30 watt, light doping on the cone.

67super

I tried the Copperhead and like the Rajun Cajun better but it sounded better than the stock speaker.

vashondan

Gold Supporting Member
Slider, have you heard the 10a125 in a PRRI? On the Weber site they suggest the 10F105T. I'll email them

71strat

Yeah sorry the Cream is a 10. I saw a thread earlier where someone replaced some 10s with 12s.

Look into the Tone Tubby Red for a 10 inch speaker. 1 of the best 10s available IMHO.

M

member 124523

I have a 10F105T in my BF. It's loud and punchy and sounds great clean. Driven, it has a nice growl. I tried it through a Celestion V type and much preferred the crunchy driven sound, but was dark and a dull compared to the weber when played clean.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Slider, have you heard the 10a125 in a PRRI? On the Weber site they suggest the 10F105T. I'll email them

Actually I have a friends '69 here for a tune up right now. It has a Weber 10A100T in it. It sounds real good but it sounds much better when crossed over to my Supro, which has a 10A125 in it at the moment. The 10F150 has a 40 oz. magnet. Not what you want if your going for guitar>amp tone.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
In have the 10 inch Gold in my Gries 12 (hand wired Princeton Reverb) and it is the perfect speaker in this amp IMO.

FiestaRed

I have a Gold 10" in the bottom 1x10 cab. Sounds wonderful.

IMG_0692_zps202ab0ad.jpg

presence

Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Weber 10a125 in my blackface Princeton clone. Sounds fabulous clean. I'm not a fan of the overdriven Princeton sounds with any speaker (plus its too loud), so I run a Bogner La Grange in front for overdrive and it sounds great.

The 10a125 was strongly recommended by the amp builder.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom