Celestion Gold question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John Carson, Feb 17, 2008.

1. John Carson

John Carson Member

Has anyone tried one in a 1x12 speaker 8ohm speaker cab?

I presently have a Texas Heat and Im running my 40 watt frenzel SDP with EL34's.
    Thinking of trying a C Gold to get some more high end chime.
    Just checking for other members experiences as these are expensive!

Thanks~!

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have a few of these, one of which is in a Groove Tubes Soul-O 45 1-12 combo. Since I haven't played through a Texas Heat I can't comment on that but will tell you that the Alnico Gold is the closet thing I have found to the Alnico Blue tone wise. The chime is there.

TheGrooveking

3. PFunk

PFunk Member

I have as well with a different amp- 6V's and agree with Grooveking- with maybe a little extra bottom- but the chime is there.

4. doveman

doveman Member

I'm interested in this, as well. I have a Brown Note D'Lite 22 6V6 amp that I just built. I also have a closed back 1x12 with an original EVM-12L. I was kind of hoping I'd really like the EVM with the D'Lite but it seems a little harsh ... thinking about doing the Alnico/Gold, as well.

How does the Alnico/Gold do in a closed back cab? :cool:

5. mcdyas

mcdyas Silver Supporting Member

i've got an 8 ohm gold mounted in a /13 212D closed back cab with the other position empty. i like it with my C30 or Clubman. with the C30, a les paul into the low gain input of the EF86 channel gives a spectacular clean- really nice. it handles overdrive very well also. i liked it so much i waited until another one came up for sale on the emporium, so i have another 8 ohm gold on its way for $225 shipped/paypal'd. if you are not in a big hurry you can't pick one up used but still definitely more than a used V30.