Celestion Gold vs Jensen P12Q in Tweed Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lou Brush, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

I recently replaced the P12Q in my tweed deluxe clone with a Celestion Gold. The Celestion Gold made the Jensen speaker sound like it was coming out of a telephone. The Gold is woody and creamy with piano-like clarity while the Jensen is harsh, brittle and flabby by comparison. The Celestion speaker was MUCH louder also. More clean headroom. That's important because tweed deluxes can be kinda wimpy in a live setting with a loud drummer. I'm not a huge fan of speaker breakup.

I was skeptical of spending nearly $300 on a speaker. It was worth it. If you're really into tone I'd check 'em out. My guitar playing friends are quite impressed with the tone. "Good balance top-to-bottom" said one. The "ice pick" highs on strats/teles are smooth and creamy. I'm guessing this speaker would help ANY amp sound it's best.

For grins, I hooked the Gold up to my JMP Marshall and now I'm GASing for a couple more to replace those V30s...

2. doublee

doublee Member

Interesting I am thinking of a Gold for my DRRI...or maybe a JBL...

3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

That sounds akin to replacing your VW engine with a Porsche engine. That was quite an upgrade!

4. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

my experience is with blues, but I have heard they are similar, only more stout bottom and a bit warmer in general due to the larger wattage/magnet.

the thing is, the blue/gold is a british voiced spkr, so your 5e3 now doesn't really have the response of a "vintage correct type" 5e3. Typically those old alnico's and ceramics don't have the range, they do fender tones though, that's part of the charm.

none of that matters if you like the sound. that's what's important.

it would be interesting to try a nice weber alnico in there and see if the fender slant to the "better spkr equation" would be agreeable as well.

basically just saying : with a gold, the voice is diff. but if you love the voice, that's great. ~!

5. sideman

sideman Member

I love P12Qs, and keep one in my GA-20 - it sounds great. I don't expect to spend $280 on a replacement anytime soon. That's nearly what I spent on the amp.