Celestion Gold.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Whats the latest on them anyone heard? Anyone tried one yet?

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

Avatar's site says they'll be available in August.

3. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I heard Celestion is behind on production because Europe passed a law banning the use of lead based solder.

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Tried them at the LA amp show; sounded great.

5. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Leon. . .did it sound like a Celestion Blue. . .or is it something different?

6. thegame

thegame Member

Would they be suitable for high gain, given the 50w rating?

7. Leonc

I've not heard every speaker out there, but the Golds reminded me more of Blue Alnicos than say Fanes or Weber Blue dogs (at least mine). But I don't think I a/b'ed them directly with the same amp...that would be what you'd really want to do, if possible.

8. thegame

thegame Member

I mean with high gain amps at drummer (rehersal) volume. Whats your amp setup when using the blues? Are they better than G12H30's at high gain? Because the top end is too much IMO with those using high gain amps.

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Fanes resemble Blues?

Do tell!

10. Leonc

Well it was only last May, LOL! So...my elaboration skills at this point won't be that great...but from what I recall, I'd say the Gold's had a bit more top end sparkly stuff.

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I have 2 Golds and have directly compared the Golds to the Fane AXA12s and the Golds are much more detailed, sparkly, 3D, and acoustic sounding. The Fanes are great on their own, and at 100W, they are a killer high powered alnico speaker - they can take whatever you throw at them - nice round, fat, chewy, alnico goodness. I still have a Fane AXA10, which is the 10" baby brother, and you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer 100W 10" alnico speaker, IMHO.

I haven't compared the Gold directly to a Blue, but from what I can remember when I had my Blue, they sound very close - closer than a 50W Alnico Weber Blue Dog I had, which wasn't very close at all.

I actually like the Gold best when paired with a ceramic speaker like the Heritage G12-65 or Scholz or EVM 12L - best of both worlds - even better than 2 Golds - just my personal tastes though, YMMV.

zZounds.com (where I got my 2nd Gold) says they'll have more by mid Feb for $280 shipped, which is a good price.

I have actually been able to induce a bit of cone cry or edge yowl when using a Gold on its own, with a 30W amp, using a neck HB with OD. So I'm careful about that and often use Power Scaling with the Golds, to take things down a notch or two, without sacrificing anything tonally.

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I think it might be too edgy and bright. It's got more low end than a Blue, but it's still a slightly upper mid oriented speaker. That's why I like pairing it with a ceramic. It's fabulous for cleans - very acoustic - great with single coils and P90s, as well as humbuckers.

13. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Take my word for it, buy Scumbacks.

14. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

If that prickly amp is the one I think you mean then pair the H55 with a H75 and I think you'll love the results. :)

Chris

15. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Macaroni, how does the Gold compare with the Scholz?

16. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

I just ordered one to put in a 1x12 to use with my suhr badger......after hearing the recorded clips I figured they would be a good match

17. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I'm gonna be the odd man out...

The Celestion Gold does not sound "just like" a Blue... or as good to my ears. Record them both in their ideal context and I promise you'll hear a quite noticable difference. And, I think a 15 watt Weber Blue Dog is much closer to a Blue than a Gold. The Gold is a good sounding speaker no doubt but ain't no blue IMO... with a Vox circuit anyway.

This is not a good or bad thing... just different.

YMMV

<M

18. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Quite different, but compatible for a combination, IMO. The Scholz is closer to an EVM 12L, to give you a perspective. The Gold has great clarity and detail, a big acoustic-like sound, very 3D, sparkly upper mids, nice rich bass. It's not quite as round, warm and fat as a Scholz, and the Scholz has a creamier high end, in a ceramic sort of way, vs an alnico compressed smooth high end.

19. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I haven't tried the Gold's yet. Eventually I'm going to spring for a pair to see what all the fuss is about. It seems like many have the idea that the Gold is the "new and improved" version of the Blue. I think Celestion's marketing may have something to do with that as well.

My understanding was that they simply can handle more power. They are susposed to be the alternative for someone who can't safely run a pair of blues (or a single one) in their higher powered amp. The idea isn't for everyone with Blues to run out and buy Golds to make their amp sound better.

I just don't want to set my expectations too high. I'd be using them in AC30's. The Blues are fine in there so I don't know that there is a big need for the Golds.

20. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Well, I have a Gold and a G12-65 in a closed back antique pine cabinet (Bob Burt), along with a Ragin Cajun and Fane AXA10, so that's my only frame of reference for the combined pair. I do have another Gold in a somewhat large 1-12 antique pine (BB) oval open back, and the Gold sounds great in there too.

I would say they'd probably sound good in either, depending on the situation. Maybe you could get a removable middle panel, so you can have it both ways.