Celestion Golds - Sound different after breaking in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Meriphew, May 16, 2015.

1. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I recently replaced a blown Blue in a Morgan 1x12 cab with a Celestion Gold. I really loved the sound of the Blue after it was broken in. I own amps/cabs with Blues, Greenbacks, and Jensens, and they all sounded better over time. I've read that the Golds already have a broken in sound. Anyone have any info on if I can expect the Gold to change in sound over time? Thx!

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It doesn't come out of the box with a broken in sound, in fact it's quite harsh. I would expect it to mellow after a long while.

3. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I thought i read that they were great out of the box...still assumed they would break in...

4. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

In my experience there is a break in period.

5. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I bought one really really broken in and it's not harsh at all, though I don't know how long it took to get it this agreeable.

6. MHG

MHG Member

You'd be better off going with the new Alnico Cream, which is supposed to be closer to the Blue than the Gold.

7. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

The Gold, of all the speakers I've used, had the most obvious break in. New it was quite unpleasantly bright, it did smooth out quite a lot to the point where I liked it after maybe 3 months.

However, Golds have quite a different voicing to Blues - it'll likely always be brighter/ more prone to fizziness as well as having more bottom end and less midrange. Blues on the other hand, after a good bit of loud use, are pretty smooth up top and get a lot more creamy (for those who don't like "creamy" as a description, I mean they have a lot of mids around 500hz, plenty of upper midrange harmonics, but above that they're very mellow and don't have much above 3kHz).

8. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I did not like mine out of the box and had the high end brightness or fizziness that others talk about. Took months to break in, but finally became an awesome speaker. But I swear that even over a year it is still getting better.

9. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I've had my Golds for almost a year.. They were "fairly new" when I got them and they have continued to get "warmer" sounding and less stiff the more I play them.

When I first got them, I did my normal break in procedure where I play my iPod through a small PA head plugged into my Golds/cab. I do this every day for about 8 hours a day for at least 2 weeks (8-10 days), or until my wife says "that's enough". They are usually warmer after that, but continue for a long time to sound better.

Out of all of the speakers I've owned, the Golds seem to have taken the longest time to break in and I'm not sure they're finished?

10. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Glad I missed this period in the life of my Gold, which btw is so smooth that it seems to almost cut off offending frequencies, so barring any abnormalities this is what you can expect eventually I guess. Mine was used by a guy that gigged regularly though, and the speaker looked like he had eaten lunch off it plus there was a solder mark on the cone etc. It was sold at a small discount but I saw the seasoning as a service when he insisted it functioned well, and it's proven to be one of the sweetest speakers I've ever had.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

I have always like Golds right out of the box...clean they amaze...pushed they can get fizzy and are particular about which pedals they like to see...a Rat or fuzz work well with Golds as do clean boosts...higher gain distortion pedalns usually don't...

I don't think that I have or will ever push the Gold hard enough to where it will get the cone moving enough to break in so that I will notice it...I don't notice much of a difference over time...

Funny enough I seem to prefer the 10" Golds with BF Fender amps and 12"s with Vox and Marshalls...

I am currently using a 2X 10" cab with my 64 Bassman head and the most I can turn it up at gigs is about 2.5 so it's not really working the cone...it sounds amazing and takes pedals really well used like this...

In my brief experience with Blues and Weber Blues and a divided by 13 and 65 Amps London I hated the Blues with a passion...they sound like torn paper to me...

I am curious about the cream alnico but not enough to drop that kind of coin on it as I am really happy with my 10" Golds...

12. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

After 4 years I decided to replace the Jensen C10R that came with my PRRI. Don't get me wrong the Jensen was a nice speaker, but it could be a bit boomy on the bottom end and a bit shrill with my tele. Basically, i needed to keep the base at about 3-4 and the treble no higher than 2/5 - 3 with the tone on my Tele turned down. So decided to try the much praised Celestion Gold 10. It did take a long time to break in. I ran my Bose wave radio through it for 2 weeks straight, taking heat from my wife. Long story short, it broke in, smoothing out nicely. I really like the complex, but much fuller chimey tone. Now I can EQ the amp bringing up the treble and base to more normal settings. No more boomy bottom and nice sweet highs especially on the Tele. Keep in mind that this was all after a long break in. I am really liking this speaker in my PRRI coupled with JJ 6V6s and a larger TO20 O/T.

13. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

There is some break-in with any new speaker, but from my experience if you don't like the sound of a new speaker, you won't like it when it breaks in any more.

14. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I like the sound of the Gold, but I was used to hearing Blues for years - so it took some tweaking of my amp settings to get the Gold where I wanted it. As far as the Alnico Cream goes, I didn't want to try to push a 90 Watt speaker with a 20 Watt head. Thx to all for the input on Golds.

15. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

took me a year and a half to break in, due to me finally cranking the amp and pushing it, but boy it was noticeable!