Celestion Greenback 25 RI's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by centsmin, Feb 22, 2008.

1. centsmin

centsmin Member

I know there are some very kool boutique speakers based on these. But is there any love for the plain old Chinese RI's?

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Yep, one of my faves!!! Nothing wrong with them, hard to beat if you ask me.

3. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i've got a well broken-in pair in my Maz 38 combo and i love how they sound. they're not for everyone though...

4. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I'm using a quad of them in a 4x12 with my old Marshall heads and I think they sound great. I actually prefer them to the more expensive Heritage versions.

5. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

I have a single Chinese greenback and, a pair of English greenbacks. They are killer speakers. I love 'um.

6. Free

Free Member

Are you kidding? Those speakers are wonderful. As some mention, many even prefer them over Heritage of any of the other models that strive to emulate classic "greenbacks" of the '60s and '70s.

7. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

I haven't heard the new heritage Greenbacks. Can anyone explain why they prefer one over the other?

8. photios

photios Member

my 4x12's are loaded with the G12M 's...a mix of Chinese RI and the older English made...with the right amp, they are tonal perfection.

9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I have both English and Chinese GBs and they sound about the same to me.

10. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

I have two Chinese and they sound great :AOK! I use them a lot and I have plenty of other more expensive options at my disposal.

11. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I have two Chinese greenbacks, I'm very happy w/ 'em.

12. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I prefer the standard RI Greenbacks because they are more efficient (98 db), have more mids, and a stronger low end. They work better for me when pushed hard with my old 50 watt Marshall as the added mids really fattens up the tone and the low end responds in a great way that's a bit difficult to describe ... the low end compresses, but still stays punchy when you lay into it.

I found the Heritage Greenbacks to be good sounding speakers, but they are very inefficient (96 db) so they are not as punchy as the standard RI. They have less mids, and when pushed hard the Heritage crunches up real quick - almost too much to the point where they begin to sound ragged. Also, the Heritage GB just doesn't have the low end punch when you lay into it at volume that the standard RI does. The low end compresses, and disappears.

This is based upon my experiences with running my '73 50 watt JMP Marshall into 4x12 cabs loaded with both speakers.

13. Dave

Dave Member

I liked the Heritage's a little better at first, but after spending some time with them and the RI, I have to agree with Fireball's assessment. The RI just has the most perfect mids and the low end holds up well in a sealed cab IMO.

14. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

I have a china gb in my peavey c-30, sounds excellent, I have a uk model also-they sound the same to me.

15. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have no issues with them at all! I use one on my 62 Fender Deluxe rioght now and it sounds great

16. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

nothing and nothing and nothing and nothing wrong w/ Chinese greenbacks....just let em break in and it'll be all good

17. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I have a pair of older UK ones and a pair of Chinese ones. I can't really say there is a difference other than the UK ones have a lot more hours on them and sound a little mellower (in a good way). I imagine the Chinese ones would sound exactly the same if they had the same amount of wear.

18. jamison162

jamison162 Member

How hot do you run that amp, ever worry about blowing it? That's one loud amp.

19. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Decided to go with two Chinese ones in my Fargen Mini Plex. Love the tone from these things. Haven't heard the heritage version, but I'm glad I didn't spring for them because the Chinese ones are treating my just fine.