Celestion Greenback G10 Speaker in FENDER Pro Junior IV

blackbird

Amp noob here. All i can tell you is that i love big clean fender amps but now i want a small bedroom amp for home playing to get inspired.
What are your thoughts in general about the speaker in this one and the amp overall?
How clean can this amp be (for a smalll amp , i know that is not easy) and how will it take pedals? mainly delays and Overdives (love the bluesbreaker circuit and stack it with timmy and others).

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
The Greenback 10 is middy.. my choice would be the Cannibis Rex 10.......very balanced, great clean tones. Excellent with overdrives, delays ect...

soundbee

Platinum Supporting Member
I’ve got two PJiv’s and run a stereo setup. I never felt the need to swap speakers. If your into lower volume then the trick with theses amps (and most Fender types) is to have the tone down around <= 3 which tends to have a more balanced sound. The. As you increase volume, might want to wind the tone up a bit as well.

blackbird

I’ve got two PJiv’s and run a stereo setup. I never felt the need to swap speakers. If your into lower volume then the trick with theses amps (and most Fender types) is to have the tone down around <= 3 which tends to have a more balanced sound. The. As you increase volume, might want to wind the tone up a bit as well.
What's the speaker in yours? I won't change speakers, the pro junior iv comes with various speakers. Jensen speaker or greenblack g10 or others i think. Different versions. Cannabis rex 10 is i think in the fender blues junior amps nowdays.
So I don't know what I prefer.
Whatcha think guys?

mdrake34

Amp noob here. All i can tell you is that i love big clean fender amps but now i want a small bedroom amp for home playing get inspired.
What are your thoughts in general about the speaker in this one and the amp overall?
How clean can this amp be (for a smalll amp , i know that is not easy) and how will it take pedals? mainly delays and Overdives (love the bluesbreaker circuit and stack it with timmy and others).
The pro jr is not a home amp, and it’s not definitely not a bedroom amp. They are LOUD, and at the volume you’re talking about with pedals, it’s not going to sound very good.

I bought and quickly returned one. Sounds fantastic at volumes I couldn’t play it at. My Bassbreaker gives me those tones at toddler-asleep-across-the-House volumes.

PJ sounds good clean, but will never have that warm 'piano' bass or nice reverb or anything like that. And a greenback or other vintage-y speaker will push it away from those shimmery cleans too. For the best cleans from a PJ, I'd suggest something like the G10N-40

Dino Boreanaz

I have no experience with the Pro Junior (or any Fender amp for that matter) but I have recently compared the Celestion G10 Greenbacks and G10N-40s in a Marshall amp.

Elsewhere in these forums, the G10N-40 has been described as a "chimier" version of the Greenback and I would totally agree with this description. These two speakers have a similar low end, while the Greenback has a stronger mid push, and the G10N-40 has a more present top end. I ended up deciding to keep the Greenbacks for my Marshall since it aligns better with the sound I'm looking for and it's lower power rating is of no concern to me for this small amp.

soundbee

Platinum Supporting Member
What's the speaker in yours? I won't change speakers, the pro junior iv comes with various speakers. Jensen speaker or greenblack g10 or others i think. Different versions. Cannabis rex 10 is i think in the fender blues junior amps nowdays.
So I don't know what I prefer.
Whatcha think guys?
Mine are stock ver IV's and have the Jensen P10R. Supposedly this is the same speaker Jeff Beck upgraded his when he was using these a few years back. They do take a bit to break in. But that can be fun too.

Trending Topics