Celestion "Greenback" ID thread, pics, descriptions, etc.

louis

Hi , I have 4 pre rola G12H 75hz 8ohms (yes , 8ohms) and also
4 rola G12M 75hz 16ohms,

I want to put them in 2 cabs ,

Questions ?? :huh

-Can I mix 8ohms with 16ohms?

-If I put 4x8ohms in one cab and 4x16ohms in another cab,
how should they be wired?

-Can I play with 2 different ohmage cabs and if yes ,what is the oms that I choose on the amp selector?

Regards!...........................Louis

johan

Off topic but have to ask anyway since this thread has more Celestion info than the rest of the internet put together -

Any opinion on the old G12-75 from the 80's. I do NOT like the current 90's or 00's versions of this speaker. Probably great for modern music but I'm an old fart :)

Found these for sale. Are they close to the current 75's? Looks different!

http://www.diskantforum.se/download/file.php?id=6904&mode=view/SDC10741.JPG

http://www.diskantforum.se/download/file.php?id=6910&mode=view/SDC10753.JPG

http://www.diskantforum.se/download/file.php?id=6909&mode=view/SDC10752.JPG

Sorry for the big pics.

Last edited:

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Holy crap...big pics is right! Sheesh! The mid 80's (84-86) G12T-75's are much better than the later models, can't tell you why, sorry.

They're not my tone, but many like them for metal, thrash, etc.

devnulljp

The 9384 10" Celestion is similar to the G12H30 12" speaker in 10" size. They're killer. I have two of these and this is real close to my SA10H75 model Scumback. They're probably 15w power handling, 20w at most. You even have the desirable 002 10" Pulsonic cone, so enjoy!
Are these the same/similar?
The only things I can see written on there are 9384 and what looks like GE5 -- which I guess is May-5th-1974?
And 15 -- so I'm guessing 15W?

celestions2.jpg

celestions.jpg

EDIT: Cool, now you mention it that smudge does look like an "Ω" -- thanks
I'll have to have a look and see if there's a code on the cones.

Last edited:

Scumback Speakers

Looks like 9384 10" Celestions from your pic.

That 15 is the ohm rating (actually 16), not the power handling for watts, sorry!

GE5 is July 5th, 1972. For the year speaker you have the code is
Month - Year - Day

RYANROCK

i've just recently acquired some pre rola celestion T1221 G12M greenbacks 4 of em! in mint cond. 25w, 16ohms, 75c/s. Celestion LTD Thames Ditton Surry.
date codes......
LC20
LC30
LC23
BD17
still in the original SAi ply 4x12 cab they came in, never bin taken out, when i opened up cab to have a look i think i'm the 1st to do so since it left the factory! all the bits are all there. sound fffffffffin amazing! so clear an then when u turn up the amp they start a slight break up, groovey. compared to my other cab that i normaly use with goodman audiom 60's they sound similar (goodmans, slightly bassier/fuller, the 1's i prefer anyway) with the goodmans u can go all the way up to11! the greenbacks start to breakup a lot earlier on.
sorry no pics havnt got a camara.
so what do u think? i'm no expert on this type of speaker, but i do no there prob wortha bit! has any1 out there got any info about the greenbacks or the goodmans for that matter?
thanks

Udonitron

A year ago I picked up an old tolex-less 4x10 Marshall cab and opened her up and found plain Greenbacks inside. I decided to refinish the cab in a antique oak stain but I am curious as to what model Celestion's they are. Any ideas Scumbag? Cheers man

20100124006copy.jpg

20100124005copy.jpg

OK....wait a second...devnulljp's pics are mine!? How did you get my pics from my amp unless you were checking out my ad...hmmm. OK so now I know they are from July 5th, 1972. What are your thoughts on them? Cheers man

img1615g.jpg

Oh P.S.
A guy wants to trade me an old stained 2x12 Fender Tweed cab with one G12M in it and one new Red Coat...telling me they are equal in value and would be a fair straight trade. This:

1002241406001.jpg
1002241407001.jpg

1002241405000.jpg
1002241407000.jpg

Last edited:

Scumback Speakers

butterynuts/udonitron... do a search on this thread (aka search this thread in the frame up top) for 9384 and you'll have all your questions answered.

devnulljp

OK....wait a second...devnulljp's pics are mine!? How did you get my pics from my amp unless you were checking out my ad...hmmm. OK so now I know they are from July 5th, 1972. What are your thoughts on them? Cheers man
I was scoping your ad on CL and looking for more info on what you had :D

Noz85

Hi all

I was hoping you guys might be able to help me.

I'm in a bit of a situation, where I want to buy what appear to be 2 vintage celestions. But I'm not sure of their age.

I could do with a second opinion (or two!)

The details:

I'm looking at 2 x Celestion G12m Greenbacks

Back says:

Model number - G12m
Power Capacity - 25 watts
Impedance - 16ohms
Bass Resonance - 75

More importantly

CELESTION LTD, THAMES DITTON, SURREY

The serial stamps on the magnet struts are LC10W and MC2W
and the cones are stamped in white with 38 102 003 & 41 102 003

I'm really struggling to figure out the age of these speakers.

Please could somebody help me to ID these? So I know if they're worth buyin?

Much appreciated.
Noz :)

jitterbug

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they are November 10th, 1970 and December 2nd, 1970. They have the original Pulsonic lead cones. Got pics? If the price is right and they are in good working order they are definitely worth buying.

bluesjunior

I originally posted this as a new thread before I found this thread so I have deleted the thread I started and reposted my ask here.

Around 1995 I bought a Carlsbro 60 Twin valve amp head and a closed back 2 x 12 speaker cab for around £110. I noticed a difference in the sound the last couple of times playing and decided to investigate. Turned out it was just a cold solder joint and so I decided to rewire the speakers with some decent wiring and new solder. When I bought the above items the guy said that the speakers were 100W Celestions and after taking them out I found that indeed they were. I wrote down all the info and will rewrite it below. Can anyone tell me any history, value etc of said speakers.

The Label: on the back of the outer metal plate covering the magnet is a 4and one1/2" diameter, off whitish colored sticker with two 1/8th" wide black rings, one around the outer circumference and a smaller one 1and1/2" in diameter around the hole in the centre of the sticker showing the magnet plate underneath.

On this sticker is written in black lettering: Celestion International Ltd, Foxhall Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, England. Underneath that is written, Celestion, G12H - 100, impedence 8ohm, Type No. T3597.

There is a "Made in England" stamp along the inside edge of the frame and written in black paint on one of the four arms/legs is the following code, H? 24 3597 03. The question mark is another letter which looks like it could possibly be the bottom part of a W or V or such. On the inside of the speaker cone itself is printed in white the number 3609. The outer metal frame with the fixing holes on is surrounded by a ring of cork like material 1/2" x 1/4" with spaces in it where the bolt holes are.

Jeff West

Those are definitely '80s manufacture, by your info. A good guess would be it's a "V", for Aug 24 1987. Could be "W", which would be the same date one year later, but I think Celestion was changing to a short-lived different label that year, with vertical white bar on black and "Professional Power Loudspeaker". I know they did by '89 ("X").

The '80s G12H100 had 50 oz "H" magnet, fiberglass voice coil former, larger dust cap, standard (8mm) iron frontplate on the magnet (G12K85 of the time was identical construction except for 1mm thinner frontplate, yielding more attack & highs, earlier/different breakup and harsher hitting of the wall at max power), lead type spider. I've had a G12H100 for a long time and it's not particularly harsh, rather warm and smooth with good round low end. Both Ken Fisher and Billy Gibbons spoke pretty highly of them in print. Rated 100W. Not as good as vintage greenback tone IMO, but handy to take to a rehearsal in a 1 x 12 w/50W Marshall- it can take it dimed if you want w/o problem, although the back plate on the magnet can get real hot!

These were made in 4, 8, and 16 ohm versions. The typical 8 ohm guitar version was actually T3594, and usually had a doped 75c/s res cone stamped "1777". Yours doesn't have a separate, treated cloth surround attached to the paper cone at the edge, does it? Those with "cloth edge" (CE) could be a different T# and were for bass or PA. Guitar cones were paper all the way to the edge, or "PE" (with shiny doping at the edge). I'm not sure about the "3609" cone, except that that # (as well as "3605" and "1105") have been seen as factory G12H100 cones before, along with the more typical "1777". "1105" is known to be a special run PE low-res cone similar to "444" and was used occasionally in the '70s and '80s by Celestion, but I don't know "3609". Maybe there's potential info out there on T3597 in particular.

Jeff

bluesjunior

Wow, thank you so much for that info Jeff, you're knowledge amazes me. The paper cones are shiny at the edges but I had put that down to paint as at some stage someone has painted the frontage of the cab behind the grill with black gloss paint and some of this paint has colored the outer edge of the metal frame and the outer 5 or 6mm of the paper cone where it is glued onto the frame.

Jeff West

G12H-100 was one of the models we were able to get DunxB to discuss in detail back in 2004, among other sources.

Scumback Speakers

G12H-100 was one of the models we were able to get DunxB to discuss in detail back in 2004, among other sources.
For those who want to know, DunxB is Duncan Boniface. He was a lead speaker engineer with Celestion from 92-2004 and was invaluable in getting lots of details on speakers. I was in contact with him from 1999-2004 when he left Celestion, and the last project he asked my thoughts/needs on were the 10" Celestion Greenback.

Duncan went on to Carlsbro Amps, not sure what he's doing now since Carlsbro folded last year. But he was an incredible resource on old speakers, etc. for myself and many others, Jeff West included.

Hey Jeff! How the heck are you?

bluesjunior

Is any of that discussion written down anywhere and available to the general public?. Oh and by the way do you think it would be a daft idea to use one of these G12H-100's as a replacement speaker for the 12" 8ohm Eminence speaker in my 15Watt Fender Bluesjunior?.
icon14.gif

Trending Topics

Top Bottom