Celestion "Greenback" ID thread, pics, descriptions, etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scumback Speakers, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Well, between the 65 Amps London, the KT-66 Plexi clone I just purchased, and the 68 50 watt Marshall Plexi (unmodified), the bases are definitely covered, I think. I already know how great these type speakers sound with my 6V6 based amps, so I'm not going to bring mine (or anyone elses) as I figure most folks are using the above amps for their main gigging rigs (now that might be wrong, so don't flame me! LOL), so that's why they were selected. Also because they're probably more familiar with these style amps than single ended Class A amps.

Sure, I run my dual 6V6 amp head thru a 2x12 and a 4x12, but I realize I just like the "big sound" that amount of speakers and size of cabinet provide.

2. Jeff West

Jeff West Member

"Hey Jeff, I'd love to borrow that speaker if at all possible. I'll pay for shipping and all that, of course, let me know if that's a possibility."

Jim- I'm just back from outta town in Florida for awhile, away from e-mail . . .

Did you receive that '68 G12M-20 yet?

You can borrow any speaker I've got, but unfortunately the 2/24/66 G12H25 went open coil a couple years ago, Ted W. tried to save the cone since it looked absolutely virginal, but in the end couldn't get a new VC on w/o shimming and some other stuff that added too much mass, so he subseqhently reconed it. That's the G12H25 with the white VC former I told you I've seen taken apart. Sounds pretty close now, and just about as good, but maybe distorts a little sooner and definitely isn't original.

I've got another '66 T1217 w/1777 but it's been on loan for months to a friend in Alabama, and he recently left for Europe. I'll try to get it back for you, but not immediately I'm afraid.

I think you're covered on most other stuff. I don't have a Heritage. I have the T1901 greenbacks which are 8 ohm G12M25 55hz w/bass spiders and 102/14 cones, I've got a pair from '72 I think and I've never seen nor heard of another T1901 despite asking for years now and then on these boards. I've still got the specific T1221 greenback w/102/3 that Ted ran plots on, although I know you have some of those. Do you want to throw the McGourty 20W Alien in the ring, or are you sticking to Celestions?

If you want to borrow any of those I'll overpack 'em up and send Priority Mail this weekend.

Jeff W.

3. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Supporting Member

Regarding these older speakers, do you think the tone is more in the magnet or in the cones? I've thoroughly enjoyed all the re-coned vintage speakers I've owned or tried. I personally think the old magnets have more to do with the tone than the cones.

4. Scumback Speakers

Jeff, to be fair to everyone, send the Alien, I'm good with that, too! I've got about 8 of the G12M 102/003, or 102 3 cones, so those I don't need. The 68 G12M-20-003 should be here the middle of next week. Email me and I'll give you my Fedex acct. #, I don't want you to pay for the shipping.

GeetarGoul... I used to believe there was something to the magnet theory...right up until Ted made the Scumbacks sound like the originals I sent him to recreate. Obviously, if Ted used parts that were new, and then tweaked them, the magnet theory is out, as I'm willing to bet Ted isn't sourcing 35 year old magnets for me (not that I asked, but I seriously doubt it).

5. GeetarGoul

GeetarGoul Supporting Member

Until you and Weber came along, old speakers were the only way to go. ;) :dude

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I recently bought a 1980 2104 with Rola Creambacks...which I don't have in front of me, so I can't offer more info now, other than it says Rola Celestion on the label and these things are tan in color without a hint of green and are 75hz models. They say G12H30 on them as well.

I've gigged them a couple of times and they sound great, but after finding this thread, I'm wondering if I should pull them until I can figure out their value.

The guy who sold me the amp says he paid $700 for the pair, shipped from the UK and that they were built in the 70's.

I took that info with a grain of salt, but now I'm wondering if they really are rare, since I didn't see a single pic of one in this thread.....either that or they're so common that they didn't rate a mention. I can offer more info tonight if needed.

What do I have here?

7. Scumback Speakers

RGB, you should email drdecibel@celestion.com with your Txxxx (2104, is that the cab model #?) info and date codes from the side of your speaker frame. The pics in this thread will tell you where to look for the cone codes, so you can trace that down now, too, and send that along with your email to DrD. I took a look in the HOM and your speaker cab model, 2104, doesn't come up. Speaker frame #s stop at the 1990, so 2104 was out of that range to be identified as well.

Good luck. Send me some pics if you'd like and I'll try to help figure it out for you.

8. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Thanks SB! The 2104 is a JMP 2-12 50 watt MV combo...the combo version of the 2204....sorry for the confusion....and thanks for the suggestion! I'll email the info when I get home. I'll take some pix too. Might be easier if you can see em huh?

Thanks again!

Rick

9. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

Hey scmbag, could you update/ refresh the pics in this thread? seams that they wont appear for me and would like to see the examples, I am getting alot of requests for cone codes on my old t1221's and having hard time locating without examples~
    Thanx~ Jay

10. munceyboyjoe

munceyboyjoe Member

Greeting everyone. I've recently got hold of some Celestions I thought would be worth adding to this thread, 4 G12S's. Two bear the date code ME 28V, model code T1417, and two bear the date code HA2X, model number T1416. Both pairs look pretty much identical.
    Using the link earlier in the thread, I thought this would date them to '72 and '68 respectively. However, the stickers on them both say Rola Celestion, so I guess they aren't that kind of vintage.
    In any case, I'm still interested to find out about them if anybody knows much about them, I didn't pay a huge price for them and intend to use them so any comments are welcome...heres a pic of one of the HA2X ones;

[​IMG]

Gotta wire them up in a 4 x 12 now which I'm slightly nervous about, everything around me has a habit of breaking.

11. rastaman

rastaman Member

Scumbag, do you sell any 10" speakers that are similar to a Greenback? I have a Marshall 4/10 I'm considering replacing the speakers with the Celestion G10 Vintage. I know they say the're like a V30 but there is not much offered in the 10" that I know of.

12. Scumback Speakers

Reloaded the pics for you...

13. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

thank you muchly. The pics really help out alot :)
    ~ Jay

14. Scumback Speakers

murkat, my new webdesigner will be taking this down any day now, so download all the pics and the thread to keep, OK? I thought this was in the archives of the TGP, but I could be wrong. I'll have to check.

15. murkat

murkat I like sea otters

Thanks scumbag. All is good :) i aplaud your efforts and heads up.

Mine look just like~[​IMG]

with some road warrior dust on the top two being a slant cab. But... codes are not tobe found :( , but, they look original. may have to send them off for authentication, if there recones, and they never have been in the last 25 years I have had, then it was a great job since the ohm loads are no more than 14.4 (one is 13.7) ... interesting. Thanks again.

16. Timster

Timster Member

Awesome info Scumbag.

17. LarryN

LarryN Member

I just bought a G 12 M greenback from ebay. The label looks exactly like the second pic with the 16 ohm, 75 c/s label. Is it possible it's actually a 55hz cone? Is it true that the label means little? I guess I won't really know until it arrives. I'll check back when it does.

18. LarryN

LarryN Member

It's awful quiet in here.

19. Andy H.

Andy H. Member

Just waiting for the post to arrive... ;)

Andy.

20. LarryN

LarryN Member

Turns out to be a 102 003 cone. Sounds great. I used it at a New Year's show with a G12-65. Thanks for checking in, Andy H.