Celestion "Greenback" ID thread, pics, descriptions, etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scumback Speakers, Feb 4, 2005.

1. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

Thank you, that's the date I assumed when checking the listing out. But for all intents and purposes, if the magnet caps are original, in 1995 they didn't say "Rola Celestion", correct?

2. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

Bought them on the cheap. 1972 Greenbacks that were re-coned in 1987. I'll post pictures shortly.

3. Joshua Knudson

Joshua Knudson Member

Hi, first post here. I could use some help identifying and old celestion. Stamped t1221 and a date code on back of rim. Reconed, not tabs,no cover, not markings anywhere else. 17th day of what? Hoping someone with more experience reading the stamps can help me make out the other letters. Sorry for dark pics. Thanks. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Joshua Knudson

Joshua Knudson Member

5. Joshua Knudson

Joshua Knudson Member

6. Joshua Knudson

Joshua Knudson Member

Thanks Louis. Having trouble reading the letters after 17 for the date code. Any guesses? The fact that it is on the back (and not on the front) rim also has me perplexed

7. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

Anyone shed some light on this? It's from a cabinet for sale by Aspen Pitman of Groove Tubes I believe, the speaker in the cab is a T2139 it looks like?

[​IMG]

8. markedman

markedman Member

[​IMG]Pre Rola Celestion by John Bazzano, on Flickr

I bought this nice MESA/Boogie Road Ready cabinet and it had some green backs from July 2, 1968. I paid $800.00, I couldn't sleep the night before I bought it thinking the guy would look up on-line a thread similar to this one! The guitar Gods smiled down upon me that week. I bought that cabinet, a Boogie Mark Mark IV for $450 & Taylor 355-12 for $550. I did not ask for lower prices, just showed up with cash and a smile. I'm selling the MarkIV to purchase another crazy deal on CL (if he doesn't do a quick search before I get there!)

9. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

10. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

From a couple of guys who looked at them they both said they look like Kurt Mueller cones on 72' G12m speakers

11. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

I suppose that late the dope may have crept out a bit. But I'm still a bit surprised by the dustcap thing which is quite irregular. Unless it was spec'ed as such with the reconer of reasons unknown.

12. guitarjesus

guitarjesus Member

Yeah it was done in I think 1987, I was 8 so no idea.

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  13. Bygone Tones

Bygone Tones Member

Those old 'uncle spot' date code charts will likely confuse you, especially if you are trying to date vintage speakers. There are some errors that trip people up.

1) The month codes did NOT change in 1963. This is a mistake Doyle made based on one speaker with a letter 'I' typo. All is explained on page 134 of the Doyle book (1993 edition). It is just a typo - letter 'I' printed instead of letter 'J'.

2) It is a bad idea to use the stamp format to date your speakers. Celestion were very inconsistent with these and it will trip you up if you rely on them entirely. As an example, for a long period in 1972 the day of the month was omitted altogether, like the 'EE' coded speaker shown at the top of this page (May 72). The stamp format will definitely not help you with those.

3) Other small errors are the stamp format for 68 which is always DDMY, not MYDD, and the year code for 1991 was represented by either A or Z. (uncle spot chart omits the A).

There is an easier way to date your speakers. Look at the location of the stamp itself to get a ballpark date range:
    • On a magnet sticker = early 2001 to present
    • On the chassis leg = April 1968 to mid 2001 (& heritage series 2005 to present)
    • On the front gasket = 1952 to March 1968 (& modern alnicos 1994 to present)
    • On the outer chassis rim = 1944 to 1951 (or it's a chassis leg stamp in the wrong place - mid 1968 most likely)
    [​IMG]

Then focus on the pair of letters in the code. Decipher them using the date code chart. The chart on my website is accurate to the best of my knowledge. Month then year for 99% of speakers out there, just watch out for back to front codes (year then month) especially on mid 1970's creambacks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  14. Joshua Knudson

Joshua Knudson Member

So in the above (see pics) i have a 1944 or 1953 t1221? Date code looks like 17BK or 17BA stamped on back of the rim.

15. Bygone Tones

Bygone Tones Member

I can't see the photos sorry. I can see a cone stamp (looks like a waldom recone), and I can see a shot of four speakers in a cab, but no date codes.

If you have a date stamp on the outer rim of the chassis, and it is in faint ink, then it is very likely a mid 1968 speaker. A few speakers in 68 do have the stamp on the outer rim. The date codes page on my website does mention this.

Like I said, Celestion employees were never 100% consistent with their date stamping. There will always be oddball speakers that have not been stamped in the right way.

If the speaker in question is the one at bottom left of your last photo, then the frame is definitely before mid 1969. Around July 69 the frames changed to the 'four tab' type. That one is the earlier 'one tab' type.

Hope that helps.

16. Joshua Knudson

Joshua Knudson Member

Yes, thanks for the info. Great sounding speaker recone and all.

17. Bygone Tones

Bygone Tones Member

Good to hear. btw 'BA' is unlikely, could it be 'FA'? Feb 68 would be on the front gasket for sure. Whereas FA (June 68) is the period that the outer rim stamps do show up from time to time.

18. Ggeeker

Ggeeker Member

Hi gheads! Could you please comment and help. Are these from era that are valued? I found these from late 70's Carlsbro Scorpion II Custom solid state 2x12 combo (Made in England). Am I right that these speakers are made 1977? Model T1234 with 1777 cones on both.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019