Celestion Greenback vs Creamback 75 (Video)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Del Rei, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Del Rei

Del Rei Member

Hey, guys.
    Just recorded this video today.

Used a Friedman Smallbox, Gibson Les Paul and Isobox (Randall clone) with Shure SM57 and AKG P170.
    Added a little reveb from Reaper.

Hope it's useful for you. [​IMG]

Alpione, haslar, rhys and 3 others like this.
  2. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Hate to say it, but I like the Creamback.

pula58 likes this.
  3. Del Rei

Del Rei Member

Yeah, Creambacks are great!!!

Now, I did something different... Mixed Greenback and Creamback 75 together.

I used the recorded tracks in previous video and now I mixed together the two speakers in some combinations to simulate how it sounds when you use both speakers in a cabinet. It may not be real, but might help.

It was a simulation with 1 main riff (panned 40% left) and a second guitar (panned 40% right).

abnerfm likes this.
  4. Muttlyboy

Muttlyboy Member

That was great, thank you.
    I like both speakers for different reasons, and your post and youtube clip helps me to know what's up before spending the hard earned cash.

abnerfm likes this.
  5. hacinador

hacinador Member

Nice comparison. I like the Greenback MUCH more.

Adamclayton and slider313 like this.
  6. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

For my purposes, the Creamback wins....more articulation. I don't like a muddy speaker and the Greenback was that....in each mode....compared to the Creamback.

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Both sounded great but, I prefer the GB.

8. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Surprised I like the Creamback, but comparisons are funny... the Creamback also starts to sound a bit harsh but much more "alive" too. Maybe over a night of playing I would prefer the Greenback. The Green is obviously less efficient, that can make a huge difference, maybe a better comparison would be to turn it up to equal DB as the Creamback...?

9. jay42

jay42 Member

Fan of the 75W Creamback. There aren't as many amps where you can use one 25W Greenback and not worry...or blow it to kingdom come.

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

The Creamback sounds better to me.

This is a really good demo. I'd love to hear you compare a greenback, a creamback, a vintage 30 and a Celestion G12T-75 just like this.

11. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

First off, thanks for taking the time to do this and post it for us, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!

I'd say I like the Creamback better.

EADGBE likes this.
  12. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

From my own AB comparisons this recording sounds much different. I like the Greenback in this recording. I love Creamback M65's and 25 watt Greenbacks, just depending on amp and cab which one gets the spot. Thanks for recording this.

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

Your test is one of the best I have heard. It really allows you to hear the character of the speakers. Keep in mind, everyone is using different amps and cabs and that all comes into play.

For me, I replaced my Greenbacks. I think Lynchbacks, Creambacks - M65 and H75 are better to my ears and taste and style.

14. Charvel951

Charvel951 Member

Interesting video. I had both and my GB sounded clearer and more defined than the video. My Creambacks had way to much lower mids and were very muddy. I sold them and bought some Scumbacks M75PVC 65 watters. The PVC's are a very articulate speakers with my Mesa Boogie Triaxis/VHT power amp or my Steavens 100 watt 4 channel head. The PVC's sound great in a closed back or an open back. Just like the old Pre Rola Greenbacks from back in the day. He also makes a M75 which is a clearer version of the creamback. You may want to give Jim a call, he's pretty knowledgeable and usually answers the phone and emails within the same day.

hacinador likes this.
  15. papersoul

papersoul Member

I didn't like the Scumbacks. The Creambacks are what I wanted the Scumbacks..to be.
    Personal preference.
    The creambacks...are heavenly. My favotive speakers next to the Lynchback and Redback.