Celestion Greenback vs. Eminence Lady Luck (stock) Speaker For Epiphone Valve Jr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by temporary_saint, Jan 14, 2015.

1. temporary_saint

temporary_saint Member

About to buy a used Epiphone Valve Junior head and cab but the seller has given me the option of keeping the stock Eminence Lady Luck speaker or is willing to switch it out with a Celestion Greenback.

I won't have a chance to A/B them so I'm looking for some opinions.

I play a Fender US Strat with Air Norton / Chopper / Tone Zone rails pickups - shooting for a standard rock tone (my pedals will do alot of the heavy lifting).

Just wondering which speaker setup has the potential to work best?

Thanks in advance.

2. andy474x

andy474x Member

I have a VJ head and cab that I have done a lot of mods to (Bitmo Trio w/tone and boost, upgraded OT), I put an Eminence GB128 (greenback clone) in, but I ended up switching back to the Lady Luck. The GB128 was ok, but the LL just seemed to fit the cab better. The GB was a tad thin to my ear. Eminence says the LL is a very balanced speaker that allows the character of the amp to come through, and I agree. Especially if you're considering doing the Bitmo mod kit, it will allow you to get the most from the different voicings.

3. temporary_saint

temporary_saint Member

I'm thinking best to go with the stock Lady Luck and then if it's not doing what I need it to do, I'd go on the hunt for something else.

Thanks for your advice.