Celestion Greenbacks - Classic vs. Heritage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ian, May 20, 2008.

1. Ian

Ian Member

Hi Guys!

I'm using an Egnater straight-front 4x12 with Celestion Greenback speakers (i.e., the Chinese-made G12M).

What kinds of tonal changes could I expect to hear if I swapped them out for the Heritage Series greenback?

I think that the Heritage series GB is made in England, but I'm not sure if there are any other differences aside from that?

I'm just wondering if this change would improve my already great tone (using a Blankenship Custom 45).

Thanks!

2. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

brighter, punchier, crunchier, more detail in the Heritage series.
    I dont think they're better per-se just different take on classic tone.

3. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I have a Blankenship Variplex and prefer the warmth and smoothness (and drop in volume) of the Heritage Greenbacks over regular 25 watt greenbacks.

4. centsmin

centsmin Member

What timing... I literally just finished swaping out the RI green backs for Heritage greenbacks about two hours ago!

I'm using a Germino Classic 45 and closed back 2x12. The differences are very noticable to me.

The Herritage speakers are 96 db sentitivity and ratted at 20 watts oposed to the RI's which are 98 db sensitivity and 25 watts. This means that the Heritage speakers are quieter and break up quicker that the RI. This is great for me becuase it let's me get cranked amp tone at lower volume. The percieved volume of my amp volume on 6-7 with the heritage is about the same as 3 wiht the RI greenbacks!

Even though my RI GB's were well broken in, I prefered the tone of the brand new Heritage GB's. I think the Heritage has more highs and more low mids than the RI's while the RI's have more upper mids and more bass. To me, the effect is that the Heritage speakers are "warmer" and "crunchier" with more fullness (cause of the low mids) and more detailed top. The RI's extended upper mids and bass translate to thinner more strident tone with less "character as opposed ot the Heritage (in my opinion). I can't wain to get the Heritage speakers broken in!

I've had RI greenbacks twice now (English and Chinese) and didn't like them either time. When I was growing up, the V30's were the kool speakers to have. I could never understand why people liked greenbacks because all I'd heard in person were the RI's. Now that I've got the the Heritage greenbacks, I finally get it. This is what vintage marshall tone is all about! I'd say a very noticeable and positive upgrage.

If you want a set , check out Avatar Speakers. they sell' um for $159 ($60 bucks off retail) a piece and provide discounts sets of 2 and 4. Plus, they ship right away. I lived 3k miles away and got mine in 3 days.

5. Ian

Ian Member

Wow! Thanks for the info guys!

The slight drop in volume would be great since the Variplex amp can get loud (mine is the 45 watt C45 version - modded by Dave Friedman).

Are you running the cabinets at 16 ohms?

I have a 4x12 now, but I am considering getting one of the Port City 2x12 O/S cabinets and putting in Heritage GB's......but I'm not sure if I could wire it for 16 ohms with 2 of these speakers???

Thanks a million for the help!

6. centsmin

centsmin Member

You could get two 8ohm speaker wired in series for 16 ohm load, or you could just run your 16ohm amp into a 8ohm cab for a downward mismatch. Many builders feel this is ok and I personally prefer the bigger, looser feel this creates.

7. Franktone

Franktone Member

If the amp is set to 16 ohms, that means that it is looking for a 16 ohm load, for proper matching for the output transformer. If you are connecting an amp set to 16 ohms to an 8 ohm load, the 8 ohm load could now easily draw as much as double the current from the amp, which could possibly cause the output transformer to overheat. This would also probably be bad if you were running the amp cranked up. A better idea is to always connect a speaker load equal to the amp setting, or greater. For example, a better idea, would be to connect an amp set to 8 ohms to a 16 ohm cabinet. The larger speaker further reduces the current delivered by the output transformer, which is safer for your output transformer, but not quite as loud. Of course the optimal setup would be to have the amp setting the same as the cabinet impedance value. This is my take on the situation. Of course, output transformers are forgiving up to a point, but why take chances?