Tour Box Celestion has solved the "2 Dimensional FRFR Sound"...with a new Tri Cone Guitar Speaker... maybe

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
I saw this. I thought they did this with the F12 already?
This is another model of F12

Celestion’s F12-X200 speaker, introduced last year, was the world’s first speaker to combine the best of both these worlds, with the problems of neither, which is what the British company calls Full Range Live Response. The new F12M-150 Triple Cone is intended to provide a solution for players seeking a Full Range Live Response speaker that is more compact and lower cost than its big brother, the F12-X200. This is a 12" diameter speaker with 150W power rating at 8Ω and a sensitivity of 96dB, still using a traditional ceramic magnet.

But the F12M-150 has a unique design featuring two additional tweeter cones integrated into the main woofer cone (making it "Triple Cone"). This enables the speaker to deliver near full-range frequency performance: from 60Hz up to 12kHz, for a rich and detailed sound, whatever the actual set-up.

LaXu

The F12 does great with synths and acoustic stuff. It is hit and miss with amp modeling. For me at least. I would like a 4ohm version, too; while we're redesigning things.
What's the issue when used with amp modeling?

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
What's the issue when used with amp modeling?
It's more of a level thing. For me, at least? It does great with my SY/Boss amp modeling but I don't quite like it with the FM. In my 112 at least. Could be the cheap power amp, could be the cheap cab; could be a level/gain staging issue in the chain from the FM to said cheap pieces. There is a strange unnatural sizzle happening with it. I could do judicious EQing but at that point; I'll just stick the FM through the Mustang GT100 return and call it good.

madmarcus1960

Silver Supporting Member
The F12 is finicky about the enclosure. I believe there spec sheet calls out for close, smaller volume cab. I tried replacing the Tech21 Power Engine Double Deuce speaker with one and it sounded very boomy. The PEDD is a ported enclosure, but I punted on the experiment before trying to block them off. I didn't bother futzing with the bas EQ either, since it was already set @ 9 o'clock to suppress boominess with the OEM speaker.

For those who don't know what 'amp in the room' is:

ur2funky

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the 200 and the Kone. For 'amp in the room', Nah. My regular guitar cabs sound & feel better. If you want acoustic & synths to really sound good too, back to a real frfr.
Kind of a 'Jack of all trades' analogy. Master of neither.

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
That's an interesting concept. Maybe Celestion hear the complaints of harshness when you use a tweeter (like the F12-X200 has, and the Kemper Kone doesn't). Or maybe they found a way to give Kemper Kone response without the Kemper DSP. After all, they do make the Kone for Kemper...

I guess I'd better get my F12-X200's sold soon. No need for them now that the Kones have arrived.

BTW, those of you with Kempers, you should try a Eminence 12LTA in place of a Kone, with the Kone DSP on. It's not bad at all, not as good as a Kone though.

staythecourse

Freq Response looks flatter than the F12-X200
Maybe this new model is an admission that the F12-X200 did not quite hit the target.
Maybe more of a seamless crossover because of the tri cone design off of what looks like a single cone movement assembly.

texhex

Silver Supporting Member
It's more of a level thing. For me, at least? It does great with my SY/Boss amp modeling but I don't quite like it with the FM. In my 112 at least. Could be the cheap power amp, could be the cheap cab; could be a level/gain staging issue in the chain from the FM to said cheap pieces. There is a strange unnatural sizzle happening with it. I could do judicious EQing but at that point; I'll just stick the FM through the Mustang GT100 return and call it good.
Gonna have to wait for “Quad Cone”. Then you will see.

Ejay

I was expecting these to come with “mic free IRS” to get something simular as what Kone/Kemper does.

Kone/Kemper sounds very promising @home btw, it holds up next to a traditional speaker. I only gigged it running a Nylon string into it. Its not 100% fullrange, tad more midrangy than what you would want foh, but very pleasant to monitor acoustics to my taste, and blends well with acoustic bass and drums.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the 200 and the Kone. For 'amp in the room', Nah. My regular guitar cabs sound & feel better. If you want acoustic & synths to really sound good too, back to a real frfr.
Kind of a 'Jack of all trades' analogy. Master of neither.

Exactly.

A full range system, playing back a source that has a mic built in to it, is not the same as a guitar speaker with NO mic on it, with it's frequency limitations, in a wood cabinet, probably not in a wedge shape, not pointed at your face or on a speaker stand.

Ejay

I thought they did it back in the 60s w/ the original g20/25 etc.?
Dude...seems you don’t understand one bit of what progress is!!
Why would u use a 75,- item in a wooden box when you can get rather close to the same results putting together some cool code, dsp machines and high tech materials at 10x the costs?? And I’m right cause I can count seats!

Trending Topics