• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Celestion Help!!

AFin26

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here so hello! Looking forward to nerding out about gear.

Got a question about speakers... and more specifically Celestion.

I am looking to do a trade tomorrow to pick up either a Mesa Boogie 5:50 or a F50 but I've read the Mesa speakers as standard are ok but not great.

So I was maybe thinking to swap out the speaker for a Celestion speaker but the thing is...... I don't know what I'm doing!

In terms of 'the sound' I play classic/hard rock. Punchy rhythms and bitey, gainy (but not fizzy) creamy leads.

Think 'late 70's - 87' era sound.

So my question.... which speaker?

Anybody who has any experience with this would be really helpful :) thank you

Geeze

Welcome to the Gear Page - questions answered, opinions rendered, slandered and GAS [gear acquisition syndrome] is required.

I'd try the speakers as your tastes will be different than many people's here. I'd spend some time learning the amp before I'd jump off into the deep dark money sucking hole that speakers dwell in. Twist the sh*t out of the Mesa knobs and try every combination - especially the 'That can't possibly work it violates everything I KNOW ABOUT AMPS & TONE STACKS!!!!!!'

Report back!

Russ

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I'd agree with both of the above posts, get to know the amp, then if needed, do the speaker swap. You may find that you love it with the stock speaker.

If you're determined to have a Celestion speaker in the amp, then you'll be glad to know that both of those amps are likely going to have (if they're stock) the Mesa Black Shadow speaker in them, which are made by Celestion for Mesa.

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
Don't forget that Boogie speakers are Celestiions. ;)

Seriously, learn the amp first, and remember that it was matched with that speaker for a reason. If it's a used amp, put fresh tubes in it. Give it a month, and then - and only then - consider spending money on speakers and pedals.

The two most important parts of your tone are guitar and amp. And not to muddy the waters too much, but the pickups in your guitar will certainly have more effect on your tone than the speaker in your amp. :)

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
just a note that I have mesa black shadows that are evm12's
I suppose I should be more accurate. Through the years they've used EV, Celestion, and Eminence. (Maybe others, but I'm only aware of those.)

Most Boogies, however, have either a V30 or a C90 - both manufactured by Celestion. :)

De Batz

The two most important parts of your tone are guitar and amp. And not to muddy the waters too much, but the pickups in your guitar will certainly have more effect on your tone than the speaker in your amp.
If you're aiming to play out with a band, almost certainly the biggest factors in shaping your tone are the singer, bass player and drummer (not necessarily in that order). What you hear in isolation is really difficult to translate into the band/mix context without actually doing it. You hear loads of players in guitar shops whose sounds are a bit dull or lacking bottom end, but they're the ones who get how to place the guitar in the mix of a band. Shedloads of bass end and treble might sound perfect on your own, but it's unlikely to get you anywhere in a band context.

Having said that, the Mesa Black Shadow Celestion 90 (which the F50 may have in it) is a good speaker for a lot of contexts, but not especially great for any one of them. It's a heavy magnet speaker, which broadly means big bass with control, a bit more treble emphasis and less of the grainy mids that Greenbacks are famous for. As big mike says, stock MB speakers are fine, but you can get a different focus from a change.

I suppose I should be more accurate. Through the years they've used EV, Celestion, and Eminence. (Maybe others, but I'm only aware of those.)

Most Boogies, however, have either a V30 or a C90 - both manufactured by Celestion. :)
It seems that recently Mesa have started using something new, though... could again be Eminence by the looks of them. But these shouldn't be present in a used amp from a few years ago unless replaced w. one.

lemonpaul59

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here so hello! Looking forward to nerding out about gear.

Got a question about speakers... and more specifically Celestion.

I am looking to do a trade tomorrow to pick up either a Mesa Boogie 5:50 or a F50 but I've read the Mesa speakers as standard are ok but not great.

So I was maybe thinking to swap out the speaker for a Celestion speaker but the thing is...... I don't know what I'm doing!

In terms of 'the sound' I play classic/hard rock. Punchy rhythms and bitey, gainy (but not fizzy) creamy leads.

Think 'late 70's - 87' era sound.

So my question.... which speaker?

Anybody who has any experience with this would be really helpful :) thank you
Some people say the speakers Boogie gets from Celestion sound "darker" than the equivalents sold stand alone.

You should really listen to the amp first, for several hours, then decide.

The Celestion Neo Creamback is on the brighter side, and weighs 4 pounds. If you do decide to switch speakers, that one might serve you well. Works very well in D-style amps, that has been my experience anyway.

I'd go for the 5:50 over the F-50, BTW.

AFin26

I can confirm the 5:50 has a Celestion speaker as standard. Only managed a little play with it today and it sounds killer!

It's going to take me a while to get my head around it. What with having essentially two channels but with four modes to choose from it's a tonal challenge!

0plus I don't know what do with all my drive and OD pedals at present!?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom