• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Celestion Heritage G12-65 vs 12-65 vs WGS

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Just wondering first off what the difference is between a Heritage G12-65 and a standard 12-65? Can you hear a tonal difference?

Then, how about throwing in a WGS 12-65 clone into the mix? How do they compare? I played through a buddies Ceriatone Overtone yesterday with a 2x12 WGS cab. Sounded great. I plugged my Budda into the cab and it also sounded great. I've got a single 12" cab that I want to get a new speaker for...thinking this might be it.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I was around when three of us compared a 4x12" cab loaded with the new Celestion Heritage G12-65s to an identical 4x12" cab loaded with the WGS ET65s. It was a "blind" test in that we didn't know which cab had which speakers.

All three of us agreed that both cabs sounded great, but one just sounded a little better. Bigger lows and an overall nicer sound. Can't really describe it, though.

Yeah, the one we liked the best had the WGS ET65 speakers in it. Since then, I put two in my Bogner 2x12" cab and couldn't be happier with the tone.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
I was around when three of us compared a 4x12" cab loaded with the new Celestion Heritage G12-65s to an identical 4x12" cab loaded with the WGS ET65s. It was a "blind" test in that we didn't know which cab had which speakers.

All three of us agreed that both cabs sounded great, but one just sounded a little better. Bigger lows and an overall nicer sound. Can't really describe it, though.

Yeah, the one we liked the best had the WGS ET65 speakers in it. Since then, I put two in my Bogner 2x12" cab and couldn't be happier with the tone.
Thx Sarge. What amp were you playing it through? Did you have your Budda then?

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Thx Sarge. What amp were you playing it through? Did you have your Budda then?
Nah, that was the Landry amps that day (we were actually at Bill Landry's house doing the comparison.) But I also own a VHT Ultra-Lead now and the WGS ET65s work great with that amp too. They actually make every amp sound good if you ask me. I love them.

jamison162

Just wondering first off what the difference is between a Heritage G12-65 and a standard 12-65?
What are you referring to as the "standard 12-65"? The Heritage G12-65 is the only 12-65 Celestion makes. On The Greenback M's and G12H30's, there are the regular ones and then there are the Heritage series, but not with the G12-65, there's only one.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
What are you referring to as the "standard 12-65"? The Heritage G12-65 is the only 12-65 Celestion makes. On The Greenback M's and G12H30's, there are the regular ones and then there are the Heritage series, but not with the G12-65, there's only one.
I assume he's talking about the original G12-65s, not the Heritage Reissue.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
I assume he's talking about the original G12-65s, not the Heritage Reissue.
Correct. I found another thread here on them and opinions are all over the board. Sounds like I cant go wrong with a WGS ET65 though...

GrecoVee

Hey Thump,
Have you had a chance to compare a 4x12 (most likely Marshall) loaded with original Rola G12-65s to a 4x12 loaded with the WGS ET65's? Just curious! I just bought an 800 series Marshall slant 4x12 loaded with original 65's about three weeks ago and I'm really diggin' it!:dude

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Thump,
Have you had a chance to compare a 4x12 (most likely Marshall) loaded with original Rola G12-65s to a 4x12 loaded with the WGS ET65's? Just curious! I just bought an 800 series Marshall slant 4x12 loaded with original 65's about three weeks ago and I'm really diggin' it!:dude
Nah, I've only compared the new G12-65s to the WGS ET65s. Haven't gotten to compare the originals to the WGS. I wonder if the originals sound better than the new G12-65s?

Iceman8.6

I've got a bunch of cabs around here all loaded with different types/combos of speakers and the closed back 2x12 with 2 8 ohm ET65's consistantly gets used more than any other cab. I had the Heritage 12-65's and IMO the ET65's do everything the Celestions did but better and the Celestions have been sold for awhile. I'm thinking about buying 4 8 ohm ET65's to put in a 4x12 for some serious thump. The price difference is icing on the cake. I've never tried the original 65's Celestion made from the late 70's to the early 80's.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone compare the G12-65 types with a 65 watt Scumback 12M or Private Jack? My understanding is that the G12-65 was made to be a higher power greenback, so I'm wondering how close the more recent high power greenbacks compare.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone compare the G12-65 types with a 65 watt Scumback 12M or Private Jack? My understanding is that the G12-65 was made to be a higher power greenback, so I'm wondering how close the more recent high power greenbacks compare.
I've read that many times and I'm only going from memory, but I don't think the G12-65s sound like higher power Greenbacks. Alot of people think that, though. Maybe I'd realize that if I tried them side-by-side.

WesKuhnley

Correct. I found another thread here on them and opinions are all over the board. Sounds like I cant go wrong with a WGS ET65 though...
I've got one if you'd like to try it out. I could bring it to ampfest on Sunday if you're going to be there.

I've been VERY pleased with the quality of WGS stuff, David, Wayne and co are great people to deal with.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
I've got one if you'd like to try it out. I could bring it to ampfest on Sunday if you're going to be there.

I've been VERY pleased with the quality of WGS stuff, David, Wayne and co are great people to deal with.
Thanks Wes. I actually just ordered one.
I'm still trying to see if I can make amp fest. Only thing I'd have of interest to bring is a Lil Dawg D-lux. Not sure if that interests anyone or not.

How does Cory have an ampm fest when his store is open by the way?

jamison162

Of course, I've had em all. Heritage G12-65's were my favorite after trying most speakers on the market. Then I bought the Private Jacks (on a whim, had previously tried the GB12's)...out with the 12-65's. The PJ's make the 12-65's sound more modern, tight and aggressive. It really depends on what you are going for.

I've got a pair of 65 watt M75's that I like better than anything mentioned above. And then there's my new 65 watt Scumnico, which I haven't tried out yet. I hear it's even better than the real thang!

mxr2000

danm you sold me with this one.. got to try one but with a Hermida 1x12 ported close back cabinet..

Trending Topics