Celestion Heritage question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 6ringing, Dec 16, 2005.

1. 6ringing

6ringing Member

Can someone please tell me about the differences between the Heritage 12M and 12H?
    I've never heard these, or the originals, so any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. bjm007

bjm007 Member

12M breaks up a little earlier. The 12H breaks up a bit later and has a bit more high-mids........

3. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

`H` is 30 watts, M is 20. I believe the origional `H` was supposed to be a bass speaker.

CT.

4. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I have a 20 and have played the new 30. The 20s have a much smaller magnet and are quite a bit less efficient. Either are impressive. The new HW 100 watt Marshall with the cab with x4 new G12H Heritage speakers is LOUDER than LOUD and sounds nice.

I've never owned an original 20, but have had several sets of old Greenback 25s and 30s. The 30s have more bass, more top, and more efficiency. More of a scooped mid compared to the 25s. I find them harsh with some amps though they cover a wide range of clean to distorted tones well. The 25s are less efficient speakers, with less highend. Some say less lows and highs and more mids. However the 25s I have seem to have more low end, maybe not with the decibel attack of the 30 but but in EQ balance if played at similar levels. In other words, my 25s in the studio have actually sounded fatter than the 30s on playback. The 25s breakup sooner adding a bit more compression, not quite as clean as the 30s. If you want to hear some 25s I used a cab with them in my Trainwreck video clips in another thread.

I really like the 20 watt G12M in my new 1974x combo. That amps sounds good jumped to other vintage cabs, but really is fine with the stock internal speaker. Others have reported it sounds as good as an original G12M 20 watt speaker.

5. 6ringing

6ringing Member

Great! Thanks, wonderful info as usual around here.
    I'll look for your 'wreck clips.

I'm trying to decide between the 2 for a 2x12 cab to be used with an 18w TMB I'll be building after the holidays. I think I'm leaning toward the 20M.

Thanks again!

6. oxtone

oxtone Member

Marshall has a 2x12 cab for the Hand Wired head that sounds very warm. I'm told it has "aged" speakers.

Does anyone know how they "age" them?

7. rockstah

rockstah Member

so what is the best set up with a plexi speker wise for van halen(roth era) sound?

8. 62sg

62sg Member

Original G12H30's
    John
    www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm no expert but there is also another variable to consider.

Its probably the same with the H's though I'm not sure but the M's are known for not having as much Bass Response in an open back cab as with a closed back cab.

I have an 18 watter 2x12 Combo with regular British Made G12H30's and can safely say they have way plenty of Thump. That is the Loudest 18 watter I've ever played. The cab is part of it plus the amp is running at 4 ohms. It is too Loud at full band practise with a loud R&R Drummer.

The question to ask yourself is what do you play most of the time. Are you going for a really good Clean Sound or Dirty or both? If you play dirty all the time go with the M if Sparkleing Cleans are really Important try the H.

To me the H's have a certain Sparkle to them that the M's dont Have though the M's sound incredible in a Closed Back Cab Dimed for Soloing.

As far as I know the ones you can buy on the street are not aged and will take some time breaking in. My Balls M-18 was made in 03 I picked it up used less than a year ago and the Speakers (just from Normal Playing) are just now breaking in. Now when I got it the builder noticed the Speakers had just been put in it meaning Delta Moon's Mark Johnson had had something else in it. For what ever reason when I first got it it sounded amasing but didnt quite Sing as much as it does now during Solos. Tubes and everything are the same now as was then. It sung then but has improved over time. Must be the speakers.

Good luck with your Tone Quest. :RoCkIn

10. rockstah

rockstah Member

so those more than the g12m 20 watters? and which, heritage or classic g12h 30 will that be?

11. 62sg

62sg Member

Stah...
    this for is a 4x12 cab, correct? Have read/heard evh played thru 1960 b cabs {usually loaded with G12M25watters}....but also used 1982b cabs, and these were factory loaded with G12H30's. Can be a bit confusing, regarding 'original' & 'Heritage'...as many people have pointed out. Won't know till you try em...but for my $$$, I would give the 'classicG12H30' some serious consideration.
    Hope this helps,
    BTW.....did you ever get your cab identified???
    John

12. rockstah

rockstah Member

the 1960b cabs come with 75's i though and i think you have me confused - did i have cab ident issue ? i dont think so - check my sig link

13. 62sg

62sg Member

You asked about the 'Roth' era evh....THOSE era EVH cabs came with G12's...not 75's. Marshall changed to the 75's AFTER early 'Roth'
    John

14. Luke V

Luke V Member

M= medium weight magnet ,75Hz cone
    H= heavy weight magnet , more low end ,55 Hz cone

Go with the Scumbacks, better sound, lower price. I love my 12H-55.

www.scumbagamps.com

15. 62sg

62sg Member

Mark....what I meant by 'did you get your cab id'd'....aren't you the same 'rockstah' looking for help id'ing a cab on 'Metro' forums?? When you refer to 'the Roth era'...most people would generally agree you mean early VH recordings...and my post was to assist you with that cabs EVH used from that era had 2 different G12's....25 and 30's....hence the remarks about 1960B/1982B cabs.
    John

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Rockstah do you have a cab or not for you'r amp? If not what will you be getting? 4x12 ? 2x12?

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I am currently using 2 Heritage G12Ms and two G12Hs in a Divided by 13 4x12 cab. I'm using a RSA23, a Komet Constellation, a Sex Amp, and a Bruno Super 100 into it. I also have a old Marshall 4x12 metal handled cab with 30 watters to compare it to.

The combination sounds great, plenty of lows, mids and detailed highs, but not harsh. I had 4 Heritage G12Hs in at first and it sounded too crunchy in the highend for me, but now with the G12Ms, the tone is more balanced. The old Marshall cab seems "nasally" to me now, much broader frequency response now and less spike in the mids. I think a cab with 4 G12Ms would sound great too, but I do like the extra bottom end of the Hs.

I plugged my RSA23 into a Top Hat 2x12 open back with Top Hat G12Hs and it sounded good, but definately missing the low and highs, much more mids.

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Just got back from a gig, man that cab with the RSA23 is killer. Really full and big, without all the annoying volume. There were a lot of guitar players there and many came up and asked what amp it was. Those speakers just sound great, not peaky in any certain frequency, yet all the frequencies are present. The G12Ms quiet the cab down a bit and are very musical and the Hs pump out the lows and the highs, but since they are on the bottom, it doesn't hurt your ears.

19. dehughes

dehughes Member

Have you had the chance to compare the Scumback M to the Heritage M?

david