Celestion Lead 80 But With no Doping?

alivegy

I have a 2 amp stereo rig that I use to do a lot of home recording. I use the smaller combo amp of the rig as my traveling amp, since the combo gets used at stage volume the speaker gets a work out and gets broken in.

My problem is that my big amp doesn't get out of the house very much so the speakers never really get a good work out. I love the frequency curve of the celestion lead 80 and it is my main speaker, but it is heavily heavily doped due to its power rating. This makes it very stiff at the lower volume levels that I usually have to record at.

Does weber or anyone else make a lead80 clone that isn't so heavily doped? Or should I just hook it up to a cd player for a couple of days and beat the hell out of it. I love the overall tone of the speaker.

ugameus

Silver Supporting Member
Before today I would have suggested contacting WGS to see if you could get one of their British Leads with less doping. However, I just got to try a Classic Lead today for the first time. I like it A LOT better than the British Lead.

I don't know what Weber offers, but it can't hurt to send them an email.

Maybe someone can recone what you have with less dope?

alivegy

Actually, you caught me. I forgot that I have wgs British lead. What do you like better about the actual celestial classic?

ugameus

Silver Supporting Member
It is livelier. The British Leads are good speakers. The Celestion just has a bit more of a personality to it. I really like it with overdrive.

Top Bottom