Celestion Neo Creamback

Fogletone

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone played one of these new Neo Creamback speakers? Seems like a great idea to reduce speaker weight now that combo amps have become so popular.

I am sure they sound a little different than their ceramic magnet counterparts, so curious to hear opinions on these.

Now if we can only get those quality transformers to weigh a little less...

suparsonic

Just sold a Matrix NL12 with a Century speaker in it. It was pretty good but missing something directly compared to v30s' (other than weight). Like comparing Coke to diet Coke I guess. Haven't tried the Creamback.

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
I just put one in a modded (high gain) Deluxe Reverb. It's a bit weird, the speaker has good tone, but it's not particularly immediate. Compared to the G12H30 I had in there before it, it sounds more distant and less punchy. Kinda hard to put in words.

I'm holding off on final judgement, because the speaker is brand new and not broken in. We'll see what happens. I WANT this to be a good speaker.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I've put a Neo Creamback in my Mesa MarkV:35, even though it's only about 8 weeks old, and not as broken in as the C90 that came out, Im not hearing much of a difference between the two - it's still hella loud, and to me, as immediate and forward a speaker as the C90. I like to use the MIIc+ OD selection in Ch2, and they seem to get along nicely, pretty organic sounding to that selection. YMMV.

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
I just put one in a modded (high gain) Deluxe Reverb. It's a bit weird, the speaker has good tone, but it's not particularly immediate. Compared to the G12H30 I had in there before it, it sounds more distant and less punchy. Kinda hard to put in words.

I'm holding off on final judgement, because the speaker is brand new and not broken in. We'll see what happens. I WANT this to be a good speaker.
This is exactly my observation with all NEO speakers. The first Celestion NEO, the Vintage NEO and now the CB NEO. I love the reduced weight, but the response when playing feels unfamiliar and I can't seem to get used to it. The speakers simply react differently in comparison to their ceramic magnet cousins. In their attempt to tame the influence of the much stronger NEO magnets, the immediacy of the response must have fallen victim due to the process.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom