Celestion Push-On Tabs - What Size Female Disconnect Crimp Terminal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StratStringSlinger, Apr 27, 2015.

1. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Apparently there's various size disconnect crimp terminals (aka push on connectors) with the most popular size being 3/16" and 1/4". I found out the hard way after ordering an Evidence Audio speaker cable and finding out that it was way too loose and wiggle around on my Celestion speaker. I'm guessing I need to move down to the 3/16" connector. Does anyone know for sure what size tab Celestion speakers have?

TGP Psuedo Hash Tag: Celestion ; speakers ; push on ; push-on ; spade connectors ; crimp ; connectors; speaker tab

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

It's in between 3/16 and 1/4; 3/16 won't fit. IIRC it's .205", which is around 5.25mm.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you're not going to be doing a lot of switching, please solder the connection on there. It's just more reliable.

4. StratStringSlinger

Glad you posted this before I got the 3/16" one! Why did Celestion pick .205"? I don't see them available at Home Depot so I would have to order from Parts Express. Can you or anyone else confirm it's the .205" connector I need? Thanks.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

It's a .205" for sure. Most speakers use that size

6. StratStringSlinger

So the official answer I got from Celestion UK overnight was

"
    The tabs are 6mm wide, so the ΒΌ” is the closest of the options you listed below.

One of my USA co-workers buys a #6 from Home Depot and he says that it works just fine….

Regards,"

So 6mm converts to 0.236"; I know 1/4" (aka 0.250") is pretty loose; I'm hoping 0.205" will still fit but snugly on a Celestion speaker (couple people here seem to say so). I'll go to Home Depot today to try to find this 'Size 6/6mm connector'.

7. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I was going off memory on the #6...let me know if it works.

8. StratStringSlinger

Thanks Ricks for your voicemail reply, I will report back with what I find out at the local Home Depots.

9. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

You can always tighten the grip of an oversized crimp terminal by a gentle squeeze with pliers then push on to the speaker terminal. I have done this a lot with no issues.

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I use 3/16 on most everything. That fits Weber, Jensen, Eminence, WGS, CTS, Oxford, Utah. Some others are tight though. Maybe the Celestions are metric?

11. StratStringSlinger

Just a quick update. I spent a good deal of time today searching for a female disconnect crimp terminal with a 6mm tab with no success. I tried Home Depot, Radio Shack, Mouser and Parts Express. I have e-mailed Celestion again to see if they can advise where to buy the appropriate 6mm connector. I have no idea why the worlds largest guitar speaker manufacturer would use such a odd size tab. I'm baffled.

12. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

.205" ...seriously. I buy them by the 100 pack. It's what fits all speakers with tabs

65DuoSonic likes this.
  13. wetordry

wetordry Member

14. StratStringSlinger

Thanks, I appreciate it and will maybe end up using .205" connectors but the down side is .205" connectors are still hard to find. I would have to order them from parts express and the ones they have don't have the insulation cover. Any suggestions where I can buy quality .205" connectors with the insulation cover?

At the same time, I do want to get to the bottom of this mystery; I have not idea why Celestion would choose to install a 6mm tab? I looked at the tech sheets/product brochures for some of the larger manufactures and none of them make 6mm ones. Odd.

15. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

This is the video I used on how to undo the crimps.

16. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

Here's a Celestion and a Jensen Jet (with some solder still on the tab)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How anyone can get a 3/16" female spade on these terminals is beyond me!

17. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

I have insulated and non-insulated. I tend to shrink wrap the connector after I solder it to the wire with red & black to denote polarity.

I may have got them from Parts Express

18. StratStringSlinger

Where did Marshall get those connectors!? I notice how tight they were on the speaker; the 1/4" (aka .250") definitely are not that tight; you wiggle the. A little and they come right off.

19. StratStringSlinger

Ok just a quick update to close out this thread/my efforts to find the right connector. Per Celestion UK, they use the 1/4" (aka 0.250") connectors in their own labs. Not sure why they put a 6mm (aka 0.236") tab on their speaker when there is no such thing as a 6mm female disconnect crimp connector being sold anywhere. People here have suggested the 0.205" connectors are a great fit, and they probably are, but I would have to mail order them from parts express. I ended up just using the 1/4" connectors to test my speaker cables/various speakers. Cheers.

20. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist

Wayne, you're a stubborn guy!

Celestion uses .205" wide tabs. I have 7 various Celestion speakers here, and 6 have .205" tabs. I have the picture showing it ;)

One has those solder-only little hooks.