Celestion question Alnico blue/ Vintage 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cityinmind, Feb 18, 2008.

1. cityinmind

cityinmind Senior Member

What are the differences between a celestion Alnic Blue and a Celestion Vintage 30?

I'm thinking about getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and swapping out for one of these.

Any thoughts?

2. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

A 40 watt Hot Rod Deluxe will blow a Blue, they're only rated at 15 watts...a Celestion Gold is the 50 watt version of a Blue.

The V30 is a great Classic Rock type speaker, but in a Fender I'd recommend a G12H30 to smooth out the inherent brightness iof the Fender...

3. cityinmind

cityinmind Senior Member

You would recommend it over the Gold? Why, Gold too bright?

4. bobbymack

Not necessarily, the Gold is a great speaker. But, it is on the bright side and so are Fenders. Plus, Golds are very expensive.

I have a G12H30 in my '69 Deluxe Reverb and people comment all the time on that amp's tone...

You can buy a Hellatone (broken in G12H30) from Dave at Avatar for $79, I'd check it out before popping for a Gold.

Just my opinion tho.

5. cityinmind

cityinmind Senior Member

Well, I definately don't want to be too bright, so I am pretty convinced on the G12H30.

6. cityinmind

cityinmind Senior Member

I will be playing along side a DRRI. Do you think the Hot Rod Deluxe will compliment it well, or is it too loud? (FYI I will be overdriving any distortion, not using the onboard)

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

Remember that a new G12H30 can be really bright and icepicky until its well broken in. These things really mellow a lot with 50 hours on them.

8. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

V30's always seem to sound a bit "distorted" even when clean. I think it would be a very poor choice for a Fender amp. You'd want something with a rounder top end for sure.

9. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Kendrick amps utilizes a Fane alnico speaker in their pricey but impressive, K Spot 1x12 combo. Really warm and sparkly at the same time although Kendrick's antique pinewood must count for a good deal of it's tone along with the 12" Fane.

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

Wouldn't an HRD blow a G12H30 also ... HRD is 40W and the G21H30 is rated at 30. Depends on how loud you play it I suppose, but I'd say you might need to be careful.

11. bobbymack

That's a great point, I guess I was thinking about my 22 watt Deluxe...

How about an Emi Cannabis Rex? I've heard those sound great in Fender amps, so much so that I've been thinking of getting one m'self....

12. cityinmind

cityinmind Senior Member

I was playing a Hot Rod Deluxe in Guitar center and they had a Vintage 30 in it. It actually came that way from fender. It was some special edition or something, but it sounded a lot better than the other HRD I have played in the past

13. bynt

bynt Member

Yeah, they've released some of them (Like the Texas Red) with the V-30. My buddy put one in his Blues Deluxe and it sounds really good to my ear.

14. tonehead

tonehead Member

A lot of people are happy with Ted Weber's ceramic 50 watt 12F150 in a Deluxe Reverb and I have seen threads where guys raved about it in a Hot Rod Deluxe as well. It all depends on what kind of sound you are looking to get. If you are mostly a blues player the 12F150 at 50 watts may do well; it sounds more like an old Jensen C12N (with a more solid bottom end and less harshness on the top end), giving you that warm and singing type tone for solos but cleaning up nicely for chord work.

However, if you are going to push the amp really hard, and use distortion pedals, you might want a speaker that will carry a little more juice. If you follow the equation that you should get a speaker that handles double the RMS wattage of your amp then you may want to move up to a more efficient speaker. I think the aforementioned Fane alnico would sound great in your amp; it is rated at 100 watts and more than handles the very conservatively rated 35 watts of a Kendrick Gig Rig or K Spot. Hoever, these speakers are very expensive and hard to find at the moment. I would suggest that you look at Ted Weber's site; his ceramic magnet speakers are very affordable. If you are into more of a rock sound you might consider Weber's Ceramic Silver Bell (in his vintage line), which is supposed to give you more of that British Celestion sound and which he offers in several wattage ratings, or the ceramic Thames in his high power series, which is supposedly built like the old Fane grayframes, and can handle 80 watts. Either of these in the ceramic version would only cost between 90 and 100 dollars. You can email or call him with questions and he usually gets back to you very quickly.