Celestion Redback vs Mesa C-90 ?

I have read the RB has some similarities to the CL-80, which is supposedly very similar to the C-90.

For the sake of argument, if I have a pair of open back 2x12s loaded with C-90s, and I were needing greater power-handling but wanted to retain the same basic tonality, are the RBs a good place to start? Open to other suggestions as well. Thanks guys.

Okay. 22 reads and no opinions? It's all good, I may have found a deal on a more appropriate power amp. If that works out I'm cool with the C-90s.

Mods, pls move to the tech subforum, maybe someone there has more insight.

bettset

the red back should have more headroom and a bit more bottom. the c-90 works in my lonestar cause of the bass response of the amp. i know with a 2x12 oval back i have that has an emi v12 and their 25 watt greenback type speaker......i get a great blend with the lonestar for a 3x12. change the speakers.........change the tones some :munch

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
The Redback is hands down my favorite speaker ever. Love it so much. It's my dream come true speaker. I have all the other Celestiona you can think of and have been playing since 1987.

Its fat, full, balanced, lush, thick, lush, has depth, huge body, clear, tight, punchy, and can be down right mean, which I love.

Its the only speaker that makes my jaw drop these days. So good.

My Mesa Mark V 90 and Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva both sound amazing thru my Stone Age cab with Redbacks.

I also love my Bogner can with V30/K100 and now my Splawn 412 with V30s/Redbacks.

The redback is incredible! My favorite speaker by far.

I have two Classic Lead 80s at the moment and have played plenty, including the Elite 80 and Mesa C90. I have not owned a Mesa C90, but I have played thru this speaker in the PAST, as I mentioned. It's like a darker CL80. The Egnater Elite 80 is like a CL80 with slightly filler lows.

The Mesa MC90 I read it is intended for open back, semi-open back or ported cabs. Not sure why, but Mesa states this on their site in the description. That seems odd to me since lots of similar speakers like the CL80, K100, Redback are great in closed back cabs. I love that the red back allows me to use the full EQ of my amps. I used to find my Mark V too bright and with the Redbacks, I can dial in so many more tones. With my Shiva, I can run my treble and presence way up for aggressive metal bite or dial it way back for smooth and creamy rock tones.

Try a Redback if you have the chance. Amazing in my opinion.

Redback:

Last edited:
The Mesa MC90 I read it is intended for open back, semi-open back or ported cabs. Not sure why, but Mesa states this on their site in the description. That seems odd to me since lots of similar speakers like the CL80, K100, Redback are great in closed back cabs. I love that the red back allows me to use the full EQ of my amps. I used to find my Mark V too bright and with the Redbacks, I can dial in so many more tones. With my Shiva, I can run my treble and presence way up for aggressive metal bite or dial it way back for smooth and creamy rock tones.
Perhaps they're trying to say that they favour the original spec V30 for closed configuration over the C90. Then I couldn't say about their actual reasoning on this matter.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Perhaps they're trying to say that they favour the original spec V30 for closed configuration over the C90. Then I couldn't say about their actual reasoning on this matter.
I think that is it. V30 closed bottom and C90 in open top.

On another note, I am doing Redback/V30 in a Splawn 412. Excited. :)

Wow, back from the dead... My reasoning for this is to possibly downsize my rig (the horror...) from a W/D/W Mesa RoadKing combo (C90s)+4x12 (EVs), wets are 4x12 (V30s). Power amp for the wets is a QSC RMX1450 which is creeping up on 300W/Ch into 8 Ohms stereo. I was considering putting the RBs in the combo, plus another 2x12 (Lonestar). Using the Roadking to drive the two V30-loaded 4x12s, and using the open back 2x12s for wets, but I need something to handle the power without losing the basic tonality of the C90s for the occasion I need to run the RK on it's own. Most helpful, thanks guys.

ianblond

Redback is more agressive sounding (British) than C90 (American) which is rounder and has less bass.But Redback is probably the only solution in this case.

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
I think that is it. V30 closed bottom and C90 in open top.

On another note, I am doing Redback/V30 in a Splawn 412. Excited. :)
Where are you putting the Redbacks? I'm thinking to put them on top and V30s on bottom of my Marshall MF cab.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Where are you putting the Redbacks? I'm thinking to put them on top and V30s on bottom of my Marshall MF cab.
I like a blend, X-pattern.

Redback is not that aggressive to me.
Neither is the Classic Lead 80, to my ears.
Haven't played a C90 in years but to me it was a darker, more neutral speaker. Sort of flat sounding, like the Mesa V30.

It's like when I heard a new Orange cab next to a new Mesa cab and for rock and high gain, I found the Orange much better.
That said, I prefer the English V30 best, over the Mesa version.

Reactions: JYD

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
I like a blend, X-pattern.

Redback is not that aggressive to me.
Neither is the Classic Lead 80, to my ears.
Haven't played a C90 in years but to me it was a darker, more neutral speaker. Sort of flat sounding, like the Mesa V30.

It's like when I heard a new Orange cab next to a new Mesa cab and for rock and high gain, I found the Orange much better.
That said, I prefer the English V30 best, over the Mesa version.
Gotcha. Yeah, I was thinking Redbacks on top and V30s on bottom, because mine are Chinese and not sure I want them pointing at me on top in my 4x12.

I'm gonna put them in my RK combo (open back) and a Lonestar 2x12 which is the closest thing I can find dimension-wise , and use the RK's power section to drive two Recto 4x12s with the Mesa V30s.

I actually really like the C90s, I'm just afraid I'm going to blow them up.

Last edited:

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Gotcha. Yeah, I was thinking Redbacks on top and V30s on bottom, because mine are Chinese and not sure I want them pointing at me on top in my 4x12.
True. Have you tried English V30s? So you like the Mesa V30s?
There are so many variables but a lot of people don't hear a difference. I am getting a few English V30s, hopefully, soon.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I'm gonna put them in my RK combo (open back) and a Lonestar 2x12 which is the closest thing I can find dimension-wise , and use the RK's power section to drive two Recto 4x12s with the Mesa V30s.

I actually really like the C90s, I'm just afraid I'm going to blow them up.
Do you have the C90s in an open or closed back?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Partially open. The c90s are the stock speakers in the RK combo and the Lonestar 2x12 cab.
I talked to Mesa. They had them voiced dark for open back, semi open and ported cabs. For my closed back cabs, I like the English CL80.
That said, the Redback/UK V30 is a thing of beauty. :)

I talked to Mesa. They had them voiced dark for open back, semi open and ported cabs. For my closed back cabs, I like the English CL80.
That said, the Redback/UK V30 is a thing of beauty. :)
So is the RB a night-and-day difference from the C90 or are they at least from the same family? Like I said, I like the C90s fine I just need more power handling. If the RB is a completely different animal, I maybe better off spending my money on a diff power amp.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Umm.. Hmm..
To me the C90 is a darker CL80. I have had both. To me rather flat reaping nse and balanced.
The Redbakc to me is more rich, full and punchy as hell. It is balanced but has pulled back highs. The lows hit you in thr chest like the K100. Rich sounding speakers to my ears. Some would say it is Dark like the C90, but it's all relative. If you are used to bright speakers, I guess it is...but I just love it.
I prefer it to the 80 or 90.
Why not try one?
Maybe look at an EVM12L or Eminence?

...The Redbakc to me is more rich, full and punchy as hell....
Why not try one?
Maybe look at an EVM12L or Eminence?
I don't think the EVs will fit in the RK combo, a quick measurement looks like the magnets wont clear the tubes. (I have a 4x12 loaded with them and they do sound great with the RK).
Redbacks seem to get a good bit of love, I believe I will try one... Four actually. Thanks.

Trending Topics