Celestion Redback vs Mesa C-90 ?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
How does the Redbacks sound so warm, dark, fat, with big bass with a small speaker dust cap?

I thought it would have a large dust cap. Was surprised to see a small dust cap.

I tend to prefer large dust cap speakers like the K100, CL80 and H65, as they tend to have smoother, shaved off highs.
The red back is smooth with darkened highs, yet had a small cap. It's just as punchy in the lows as the others as well!

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
How does the Redbacks sound so warm, dark, fat, with big bass with a small speaker dust cap?

I thought it would have a large dust cap. Was surprised to see a small dust cap.

I tend to prefer large dust cap speakers like the K100, CL80 and H65, as they tend to have smoother, shaved off highs.
The red back is smooth with darkened highs, yet had a small cap. It's just as punchy in the lows as the others as well!
The Redback has the large dust cap.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
The Redback has the large dust cap.
Hmm, thanks man

Sorry.. Lol
I was looking at my H75.

I did some speaker swapping and forgot I pulled the H75 and reinstalled the Redback. The Cream backs have small dust caps. Redbacks is in the large dust cap camp. Yes. :)

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm, thanks man

Sorry.. Lol
I was looking at my H75.

I did some speaker swapping and forgot I pulled the H75 and reinstalled the Redback. The Cream backs have small dust caps. Redbacks is in the large dust cap camp. Yes. :)
What cab did you put in the Redback in (taking out the H75) and is it mixed with something else? And what are your thoughts on it?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
JYD,

On cabs...
I have the V30/K100 in my Bogner 212OS. This can be aggressive and even fizzy at times. I am replacing the V30 with a Mesa V30. It's really throaty at band volume.

2 Redbacks in a Stone Age 212C (OS). Very smooth and mean. H75, lost the balls and punch to the gut. Sounded thinner and weaker. Two Redbacks is way better. Ballsy, big, tight and mean sounding.
I am trying a Redback/CL80 next. Maybe a Mesa C90. I think the C90 does better in an open back.

My 412 had V30/CL80 and sounds killer, especially at band level.
I am currently trying V30/Redback but I need to try at band level. Also I could try Redback/CL80 here.

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
JYD,

On cabs...
I have the V30/K100 in my Bogner 212OS. This can be aggressive and even fizzy at times. I am replacing the V30 with a Mesa V30. It's really throaty at band volume.

2 Redbacks in a Stone Age 212C (OS). Very smooth and mean. H75, lost the balls and punch to the gut. Sounded thinner and weaker. Two Redbacks is way better. Ballsy, big, tight and mean sounding.
I am trying a Redback/CL80 next. Maybe a Mesa C90. I think the C90 does better in an open back.

My 412 had V30/CL80 and sounds killer, especially at band level.
I am currently trying V30/Redback but I need to try at band level. Also I could try Redback/CL80 here.
I'd like to try two RB's, but fear it may lose some of the cut from my V30/H75. ...So I may try the V30/RB in my 2x12.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
H75 just don't work for me and my amps.
I much prefer V30/CL80
V30/Redback is great and so is Redback/CL80 - to me this is warmer and thicker, punchier than the Red/H75.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I have the Redback/K100 in a semi open back 212 and it's insanely good!!!!

Favorite is V30/Redback though

Trending Topics