• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Celestion Speakers That Work Well In Fender Style Amps ?

CA$H FLOW

The consensus out there is that Celestion speakers give you that Marshall/British sound. I wonder what a G12M-65 creamback, or Robben Ford's favourite speaker the G12-65 heritage would sound in a DR or similar amp.
What have Celestion speakers have you tried ?

Nonvintage

I have a Blue in my Princeton Reverb and DRRI's sometimes come with a Blue, especially in the Blue Tolex DRRI. And they sound great.

scelerat

Gold Supporting Member
A friend of mine plays a silver face Deluxe Reverb through a Vintage 30. It sounds fantastic. More mid rangey, I think, than stock. But still with a lot of high end brilliance.

NotWesYet

I have Greenbacks in a BF Pro Reverb and love them! Put them in at the recommendation of the amp tech. Couldn't be happier.

sannella

For me . . .

A properly biased 6G2 Princeton (most are biased WAY cold with the factory circuit) + Celestion blue alnico = complete tonal bliss.

I also have a 6G2 with an original Celestion silver alnico, which is a slightly brighter version of tonal bliss.

I also love Celestion blues in tweed Deluxes, and I have a big soft spot for greenbacks in Deluxe Reverbs.

Joe L

Silver Supporting Member
I put a Celestion Gold in my PRRI and it sound great. Compared to the Jensen C10R, the tone is harmonically fuller, and louder. Most notable is the tighter base and and smoother top end chime. Still sound very Fender.

MissoulaGriz

I'm running WGS Invader 50's (high powered greenback clones) in my 2x12 cab with a '67 BF Bassman and it's freaking glorious! Best tone I've ever had.

G'OlPeachPhan

Fender-style can mean a lot of different things in the range from tweed to blackface... A Blue works well in many of the lower-watt circuits; if you want the AlNiCo thing. Greenbacks are nice and juicy/creamy in the mids yet, with a bit more punch from the ceramic magnet.

Really digging the WGS Veteran 30 in my Vintage Sound Vintage 15 (Princeton Reverb clone). Fantastic from clean to mean. Feels as though I'm compromising nothing with this speaker, and it's made in USA. I've enjoyed Vintage 30s in the past, and I like this flavor even more... a bit more balanced and smooth, without losing clarity and punch. A very expressive and dynamic speaker.

ziehmrd

I put a Celestion Gold in my PRRI and it sound great. Compared to the Jensen C10R, the tone is harmonically fuller, and louder. Most notable is the tighter base and and smoother top end chime. Still sound very Fender.

Agree that a Gold sounds great in a PRRI.

gearscrubs

Greenbacks can be great if you need a little less bass. The newer V-Type is a great fit in the 68 CDR. Haven't played the A-type, but supposed to be American-voiced.

swiveltung

I thought the G12-65 would be THE speaker in my DR based on the descriptions and my love for Robben Ford's tone. It didn't work for me. I bought a new one and a vintage one. I didn't like either. They had this fizzy high end and just seemed indistinct.
I has a Greenback in the DR for a while and absolutely loved it. Clean and crisp but compressed when pushed hard. However, after it got well broken in it became too ratty for me. Damn, thought I had found THE speaker.

mscaggs

I ran some Black Back Celestions in a 65 Pro Reverb one time and I thought they were great...

SupremeDalek

Two part question:

1) Which Celestion speakers would you put in a BF Super?

2) How about 2 Jensen Alnicos, and 2 Celestions for a bit of tonal beauty?

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
The Weber alnico Blue Dog and Blue Pup work really well in Fender amps.

My PRII sports a Blue Dog and my SFPR sports a Blue Pup.

They've been going strong for about 15 years.

-bEn r.

Last edited:

Seegs

10" Golds sound great with Fender BF circuits...I use 3X 10" Golds (in two 8 ohm cabs for 4 ohms) with my 64 Bassman...

Gretsch&Vox

I have only read positive things about the Celestion Blue and Gold alnicos in Fender tube amps. Of course, no VOX amp is complete without them. ;)

Trending Topics