• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Celestion V-Type in a 212 open back?

peter_heijnen

Hi, i'm loving the V-type in one of my 112 combo's and i just caught myself thinking about swapping the Jensen Electric lightnings in my 212 vertical Dumble clone.

Does anyone have experience with V-types in a 212 open back?

chance0

Used them in the configuration. Sounded great in a Silverface Twin Reissue from Fender. They had extended bass and crunchy highs. Very balanced. No nasty peaks/spikes, but not as much character because of that. They made all distortion boxes sound almost hi-fi in character. In the vertical orientation, I'd imagine they'd be less boomy and more crunchy.

peter_heijnen

No nasty peaks/spikes, but not as much character because of that. They made all distortion boxes sound almost hi-fi in character.
That's what i imagined could happen, and maybe a somewhat overwhelming lower mid range. Hmmm, i find it difficult to pull the trigger on speakers. I'll probably wait untill i can get my hand on a used set. Thx all for the input.

Last edited:

The-Kid

Pedal Art: CIOKS/Vboutique/Providence Dealer
Vendor
Arent these stock in Princeton 68 Customs.

They sound great!

If your d-style amp is an ODS flavor I’d suggest considering an ET65. Although... kinda hard to make a sincere suggestion without knowing where you’re trying to go.

peter_heijnen

If your d-style amp is an ODS flavor I’d suggest considering an ET65. Although... kinda hard to make a sincere suggestion without knowing where you’re trying to go.
It's not a Dumble clone amp i mentioned but the 212 Dumble clone cab. I had an ET65 in it, paired with a Vet30, but didn't like that very much and swapped those with the 2 mentioned Jensens.

It's not a Dumble clone amp i mentioned but the 212 Dumble clone cab. I had an ET65 in it, paired with a Vet30, but didn't like that very much and swapped those with the 2 mentioned Jensens.
Ah, I see now. I suppose you could experiment by removing one of the jensens, take a listen, then swap the one Jensen left in the cab for the v-type you have on hand and listen again assuming the impedance works out. Or mix the v-type with one of the jensens, again, assuming the impedance works out.

strattitude

I had a pair in a 2x12 and used it mostly open back (it had a removable backplate). Good allround tone, but it was too bright for my Brunetti Pleximan head...sold that cab now though.
Where the V-Type shines for me is in my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe v4. Better than the stock A-type for me. Better highs in particular.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, i'm loving the V-type in one of my 112 combo's and i just caught myself thinking about swapping the Jensen Electric lightnings in my 212 vertical Dumble clone.

Does anyone have experience with V-types in a 212 open back?
i have a pair in a twin reverb ii, sounds great. no issues to report.

rudyyoko

I have listened to all the celestions speakers and my favorite is the v-type. Just has the right tone for my ear. I prefer a humbucker, classic/southern rock, and overdrive sound. I have the celestion v-type paired up with a celestion seventy 80 in a seismic luke C closed cabinet 2 x 12.

Last edited:

Trending Topics