Celestion V12-80 Silver Series Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. Crow, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I recently bought a 1978 Fender Deluxe Reverb and it came with a Celestion V12-80 Silver Series speaker. I'm kind of liking it, except I have to turn my treble down to about 3-4, it's rather piercing. But it has a nice low end, and it overdrives in a nice fashion. I had a 1973 Deluxe Reverb that I had changed to a Weber speaker from the stock Fender, and I don't recall those speakers being too good for me. In fact, I like this 1978 Deluxe Reverb, even needing a tune up after years sitting, better than my old 1973 Deluxe Reverb with a fresh tune-up and Weber speaker. I sold the '73.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about this Celestion V12-80 Silver Series speaker? All I can find is that it's discontinued, and was a cheaper alternative to a V30. Also, I've used V30 speakers before and didn't like them at all.

Just wondered if anyone else has any experience with this speaker.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I have a Silver Series V12-60 in my Crate V118, and it sounds fine. They were a cheaper line of Celestions, as you said, but they were made in England. The cheaper Celestions now are made in China (like the 70-80 and others). I didn't want to spend a lot on a replacement for the stock Crate speaker in a cheap amp, and found that 60 watter in clean condition on Ebay for $30, it works fine for me and gets a bit of the English sound.

Al

3. xcycle

xcycle Member

Got a v12-60 as well and I prefer them to v30s as they sound more vintage to me(don't ask...I'm not even sure what that means). Mine are well broken in and sound very good in all my amps but seem to like my Deluxe clone best. Not my first choice speakers but would be quite happy with them especially in A crAnked fender.

Eric

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Thanks for the opinions. Yes, for a cheaper speaker they do sound surprisingly good. And although I believe they were considered a cheaper alternative to the V30, they really do sound a lot better, to me anyway.