Celestion V30 and Creamback M65

Axisman5150

I thought the V30 was darker/warmer,which is weird saying that of a V30. Creamback sounded like a blanket was removed compared to the V30 clip. The two blended sounded best to me. Great playing by the way.

Poseidal

The two together sounded 'bigger', but I think it might be because of the stereo effect and the two different voiced speaker tricking the mind into it feeling like more depth.

The Creamback sounds really good. Blended is good too, sounds really 'huge' for lack of a better term.

JiMB

I thought the V30 was darker/warmer,which is weird saying that of a V30. Creamback sounded like a blanket was removed compared to the V30 clip. The two blended sounded best to me. Great playing by the way.
Thanks. I'm hearing the upper mids with the V30 and the lower mids with the M65. I like them combined, too.

00JETT

Ah this just reminds me why I switched to the m65 creambacks a few years ago from v30s, just love their sound! V30s were nice too, just preferred the 65s.

buddastrat

Interesting, great comparison. Last few days, I've been kicking around what a creamback would sound like compared to my V30's. I think I prefer the V30's, more open and the mids make it more "in your face" I can tell that speaker would cut thru the mix a lot more than the more scooped/distant Creamback. With V30's, single notes sing. Creamback gave the tone a little more of a "metal" eq the gain sound a bit raspier top end and single notes were a bit thinner.

Turned down, the A to D chords on the creamback reminded me of Drop Dead Leg intro tone.
When both speakers were on, it's noticeably louder then either, by themselves.

What 2x12 is that? Looks and sounds good. I want to downsize from the Bogner I have.

Last edited:

JiMB

Interesting, great comparison. Last few days, I've been kicking around what a creamback would sound like compared to my V30's. I think I prefer the V30's, more open and the mids make it more "in your face" I can tell that speaker would cut thru the mix a lot more than the more scooped/distant Creamback. With V30's, single notes sing. Creamback gave the tone a little more of a "metal" eq the gain sound a bit raspier top end and single notes were a bit thinner.

Turned down, the A to D chords on the creamback reminded me of Drop Dead Leg intro tone.
When both speakers were on, it's noticeably louder then either, by themselves.

What 2x12 is that? Looks and sounds good. I want to downsize from the Bogner I have.
Yeah, I like what I'm hearing from the V30's and I thought the same thing about the "turned down A and D chords sounding like VH.
The 2x12's are a Scumback (you can find it on Jim's site) and a Petersen that I had built with the same dimensions as the Scumback.
I like both quite a bit but I definately prefer the mix of the two. It seems too add an extra element when you play chords and really sounds fantastic. Nice playing.
Thanks, they sound great together.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I have a couple of the Creamback 65s on the way. Can't wait to get those hideous G12t-75s out of my cab!

Thx for posting the clip! Sounds great!

laneychris

Silver Supporting Member
I like them both I have the G12M 65 in a 1x12 combo and a v30 in a Bogner cube and they sound very good together I enjoy your videos and playing thanks for sharing!

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Jim, thank you for doing these clips.

I have a pair of Creamback 65's in a 2X12 (didn't care for the Creamback 75's at all)
Great sounding speakers, but they are somewhat mid scooped, and in a band situation, I find a little trouble cutting through the mix.

Eventually, I knew I would have to mix the Creamback 65 with another speaker to fill in some mids.
The vintage 30 was my first thought, and I was just about to try mixing the two.
Glad you did it for me! I think the two really work well together.

Funny how some folks consider the Vintage 30 a bright speaker.
Technically, it's not a bright speaker at all.
It's upper mid heavy, (which some perceive as harsh or bright) and actually rolls off the top end.
The Creamback 65 picks up on the high end where the Vintage 30 left off, and extends it.
And, the Vintage 30 fills in the mids that are subdued in the Creamback 65 nicely.

I'm also thinking of trying a Heritage Greenback with the Creamback 65.
I think that would sound excellent too.... a little less modern/more vintage, but still, one speaker nicely filling frequencies the other is lacking.

Last edited:

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
Nice thread, we always see folks here asking about the differences, you nicely demo'd this. I own both speakers as well, and I like them both, but my slight preference goes to the V30s, they have slightly more edge and bite, and sound great when you push them. Nice playing and cool rifs!

Seth L

For the music you're playing in the video, the V30 gets my vote. I'm a big Creamback fan, though.

buddastrat

Hey Jim, thank you for doing these clips.

I have a pair of Creamback 65's in a 2X12 (didn't care for the Creamback 75's at all)
Great sounding speakers, but they are somewhat mid scooped, and in a band situation, I find a little trouble cutting through the mix.

Eventually, I knew I would have to mix the Creamback 65 with another speaker to fill in some mids.
The vintage 30 was my first thought, and I was just about to try mixing the two.
Glad you did it for me! I think the two really work well together.

Funny how some folks consider the Vintage 30 a bright speaker.
Technically, it's not a bright speaker at all.
It's upper mid heavy, (which some perceive as harsh or bright) and actually rolls off the top end.
The Creamback 65 picks up on the high end where the Vintage 30 left off, and extends it.
And, the Vintage 30 fills in the mids that are subdued in the Creamback 65 nicely.

I'm also thinking of trying a Heritage Greenback with the Creamback 65.
I think that would sound excellent too.... a little less modern/more vintage, but still, one speaker nicely filling frequencies the other is lacking.

Exactly how I'm hearing it. I never played a Creamback and lately have been thinking about getting some. As soon as I heard this clip, and mentioned this above in my reply, that I heard that scooped mid, might not cut thru a mix as nice as the V30. That middle freq is where it's at. I prefer the V30 notes, singing and a little more muscular authority, tho' mixing it with the creamback is a really nice sound.

The V30 reminds me of a JB pickup. It has that vocal, singy thing. and some call that a bright pickup as well, but I always thought it's more upper mid thing and not too bright.

Last edited:

buddastrat

This was a great clip, And besides playing a nice mix of chords/riffs/licks...I have to say it's REALLY nice that, you're in tune! I can't tell you how many guys play so out, and I can't even focus on the demo of whatever they're showing. It's like why do they bother with the tone part, when they can't even hear how out they are!!

rant over...ha ha.

Trending Topics