Celestion V30/CL-80 mix???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by papersoul, Aug 28, 2011.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Anyone doing this speaker mix? Problem is, I tend to load a cab with one type of speaker that tends to lock me into one of my amps. I don;t want to be that specialized so I try to mix em up. My Bogner SHiva kills with my Bogner 212 with V30s. However, I tried my friend's Splawn through it and was not as good. They recommend Splawn Small Blocks with Splawn or darker speakers, Greenbacks, etc.

So, my buddy has a process where he combines a more aggressive speaker with a less aggressive, more mellow speaker so he can us his cabs with all his heads and not worry. It was suggested I use a wel broken in CL-80 with the V30 to give best of both worlds for all my amps. Anyone try this combo? Does it smooth out the upper mids and work better with a variety of amps?

In another cab i was going to go V30/Greenback and hopefully the SPlawn would work there too. I mention Splawn because I want to get a Streetrod by the fall.

Thanks!

2. pluto

pluto Member

That used to be standard bogner 2x12 speaker mix. I'm not sure if its still the case nowadays, but a lot of bogner 2x12s used to have the 30 and 80 put together. I think the 80 does smooth out the high mid spike of the vintage 30 speaker as the 80 is a smooth and creamy speaker. I did pull out the 80 and put in another vintage 30 only to hear what it sounds like, but I preferred the 30 and 80 together so I put the 80 back in. YMMV of course depending on the amps you are using with the cab, but the amps I used with the cab were a 1st generation shiva, 1st generation uberschall and 100b and 101b ecstasy, and a couple of modded Marshalls.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks bro, I did not know that! I will try it. Any thoughts on how to set that up in a vertical 212? Was thinking of a CL80 up top and the V30 on the bottom. :)
    I am looking to pick up a Splawn Streetrod and I need the cab to work with that too. Bogner told me they find the CL-80 to be dark so it works with bright amps and works with the Bogners if mixed with a V30.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Member

The V30 doesn't have a treble spike, it's high midrange right around 1.6k. The CL80 is a more neutral speaker with more highs and lows then the V30. Together these speakers sound excellent, you will get a full range sound which can be used for almost any amplifier regardless of power ratings.

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

Does the CL-80 have similar highs to a Greenback? I am going to get a SPlawn Streetrod in the fall but can't afford, nor do i have the room for another cab just to accomodate the Splawn so was thinking of balancing out the V30 with a CL-80 in this case.

6. pluto

pluto Member

Sorry, I am not sure which one i would put on top. As to your other question about whether its like a greenback, i would say no. To me, the greenback kills the highs and has a loose bottom. To me, the 80 is very even and is fairly tight.

7. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I agree, the GB is a creamy speaker. Kind of a woody, middy sounding speaker. The V30 is tighter with plenty of mids as well, but sounds more present than the gb. The CL80 has more highs than both of those speakers, but never gets harsh. The bass is nice, not as loose as the gb and fuller than the v30. It has plenty of mids as well, not thin like a gt12-75, but not as middy as the V30. A v30 paired with a CL80 should be a great combo, but I admit I haven't tried them together in a 2x12 yet.

8. Structo

Structo Member

Yes I ran that with a Marshall 50w amp for years and it sounds great.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yep, just set both my THD 212 and Bogner 212 with the Hellatone V30/THD Celestion CL-80 mix and it sounds killer! Great with a variety of amps too!

10. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Put more neutral speaker on top , especially if micing. Then mic that top speaker.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

The CL-80 once broken in, is a bit neutral and somewhat dark....but they blend well with the V30. I wonder if a G12H30/V30 mix would be brighter!?

12. obasnoj

obasnoj Member

I have a mesa express 2x12 with a c90/v30 mix. Apparently the c90 is based on the cl80. They sound great together

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

So you think the 80 is smooth and creamy? Some describe it as clear, clean, neutral.....but I do hear it as smooth and creamy, rich. Not exactly neutral to me.

The V30/G12H30 is a similar pairing because it adds some highs and lows.

14. pluto

pluto Member

I guess i meant that it is a lot smoother than a vintage 30. I think the eq on the 80 is fairly even, but it sounded really smooth on its own in the bogner cube cab with my ectasies and shiva.

I had the vintage 30/ gh1230 combo on my z best cab, that was an awesome cab and excellent speaker combo. It was a lot different sounding than my bogner 2x12 with the 30 and 80 combo, but I am not sure how much the cab construction had to do with it.

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yea, the V30/gh1230 I thikn has a big bottom and adds a vintage vibe, not as smooth as the V30/CL80.....plus I already have the broken in 80s so that is why I use those in my two 212 cabs. Don't feel like buying more speakers, LOLs.

I am getting a Splawn and need at least two darker, smoother speakers to mix in, same with my 412.

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

It's weird, I am liking the V30/CL80 mix in my 212 but the CL-80 is almost too clean. I find I like speakers that bring more character so they don;t sound too clinical. Back to the drawing board, LOL. Might be time to go back to my original mix which was the V30/G1265 mix.