1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Celestion Vintage 30 or Hellatone 60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by strat6866, Jan 9, 2008.

1. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I have been considering replacing the current stock speaker in my DRRI with a Vintage 30 and was turned on to the Hellatone 60 which is supposedly a Vintage 30 broken in. Can anyone offer some direction or advice?
    How can the Hellatones be sold for less than the Vintage 30s?

Also, are some Vintage 30s or Hellatone speakers made in China versus England and what might the difference in price, quality and sound be.

2. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I'm interested in what they do to the cone myself. If they put like fabric softener on it or some **** like that, I'm out! Hendrix just played the stuff they gave him. He didn't put no fabric softener on his speakers...:rolleyes:

3. pgissi

pgissi Member

I think at helatones page, they subject the speaker to 15 hours of straight signal of which the makup of is probably their secret sauce

4. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Supporting Member

I have a Hellatone 30 (aged G12h30) and its a great speaker for the money. The speaker is made in China. They wire it to a sound source for 15 hours so it helps the speaker the break up and sound more smooth. I would say they are definitely better then stock V30 or G12h30. I think there is still a break in time when you get then new but a lot less then stock.

5. pgissi

pgissi Member

hated them, So I put them back in the box and expected to see them in 30 years

looks like I need to do a marathon signalling session into the speakers

I'll try some pink noise and then play them for awhile to see if there is a difference

they have an outrageous mid spike, its like an icepick to the eardrum

6. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

What do you like about the V30 in a DRRI?

7. JStizz

JStizz Member

i snagged a pair with my Avatar open-back cab. im running my Shiva el34 head through it and love them. they still needed a bit of breaking-in, but i play a lot so they broke-in real quick. to me, they dont sound any different than your standard V30. but then again, speakers are not my expertise by ANY means. if there's anything i know a lot about, it NOT speakers. i do love the sound im getting with my Hellatone 60's though.

8. strat6866

strat6866 Member

that was kind of cryptic........which speakers were you talking about?

9. strat6866

strat6866 Member

i am not real satified with the stock speaker in the DRRI. it has harsh highs and flubby lows. i have heard alot of people rave about the vintage 30s.
    is there a reason why you ask?? do you not like them?

10. strat6866

strat6866 Member

what wattage speaker is better for a 22 watt DRRI, 30 or 60?
    not sure what wattage the stock is rated for but i seem to recall 100w.

11. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

call or email Dave at Avatar... nice guy and very willing to answer questions...

12. strat6866

strat6866 Member

yup, just sent him an email a short while ago. waiting to hear back.

13. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

I wouldn't really recommend them as a DRRI speaker. That of course is my subjective opinion. Frequency response of the speaker is somewhat inverse of the amp. What kind of music do you play, and how do you drive the amp?

14. strat6866

strat6866 Member

mostly rock/classic rock.
    usually play a strat or tele through a tube screamer and a couple other effects.

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

+1

If you were using this speaker with a Recto, then it would be a great match, but for a DRRI i don't really see them working together.

16. pgissi

pgissi Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pgissi [​IMG]
    hated them, So I put them back in the box and expected to see them in 30 years

looks like I need to do a marathon signalling session into the speakers

I'll try some pink noise and then play them for awhile to see if there is a difference

they have an outrageous mid spike, its like an icepick to the eardrum

"that was kind of cryptic........which speakers were you talking about?"

I was talking about the Celestion Vintage 30 above in my post, the focus of this thread, the Celest V30 or Hellatone

They are way to bright and midrangey and truly are suited to a dark amp for the tune down crowd and the last amp in the world they would be suited for is a DRRI or any fender for that matter

My opinion of course

17. strat6866

strat6866 Member

thanks for the input and recommendations.

18. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

With that logic I should go ahead and buy the hellatone because it is cheaper. I would be a fool to just buy a V30 and play for 15 hours, it would cost me time and money.

19. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Thats why i was asking......doesnt seem to make sense.

However, despite what i've heard elsewhere, the consensus here seems to be that neither speaker (actually the same speaker) is right for my already bright DRRI.

20. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Dave at Avatar can't sell Celestions below a certain price, so he created the hellatone speakers where he strats the break in process, puts a new brand sticker on the speaker and can now sell it for less than a Celestion branded speaker. If he sells more speakers this way, he wins, plus people may just purchase his cabinets why they are getting speakers. (this is my theory)

One thing to keep in mind about celestions in a Fender DRRI is that they are 4 hole speakers, the Fender has 8 lugs so you either have to take the lugs out or cut them out. You can drill more holes in the speaker though.

Between the vintage 30 and G12H30, I think the G12H30 would work pretty well with the DRRI, the vintage 30 would is not my 1st choice. I ran my DRRI I had through a mesa 112 with a V30 just to try it out and I didn't really care for it....