Celestion Vintage 30 vs. Eminence Governor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Aug 27, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

It seems like I saw a thread on this before but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps it was on another forum. I've heard from several people that like the Governor more than the Vintage 30 and claims that it tames the high end. Does anyone have experience with these 2 speakers? Also, how would 1 of each sound in a 2x12 cab??

2. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

I switched from v30's to the Governor and it does the trick of removing that v30 spikey mid hump. I would not put them both in a 2x12, you'd still get the v30 effect you're trying to remove, I have a 4x12 with Wizards and Governors and it sounds great for all types of music, especially moderate to hard rock. The Wiz/Gov combo is pretty common. That's what I would use if making a new 2x12, but it of course depends on your music style.

3. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

What about replacing a V30 with a Wizard in a 1x12 combo?

4. mims2

mims2 Member

I play literally all styles in a cover band. What would be better, 2 Governors or a Governor and a Wizard in a closed back cab?

5. mims2

mims2 Member

anyone else got any opinions?

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Get a Warehouse Veteren 30, it's everything you love about the Celestion without the high midrange spike which just wears you out. I have owned all 3 speakers and while I liked the Governors better the the V30's, I like the Warehouse speakers a lot more.

7. frankiej

frankiej Member

Someone once told me the Private Jack has everything the 30's do without all the complaints.

8. mims2

mims2 Member

Does anyone else have any comments about the Warehouse speakers?

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Not even, that's a greenback clone two totally different things.

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

The Wizard rules.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Definitely go with the Wizard/Gov combo in the closed back...that would be killer!

As far as the Warehouse speakers....meh. At $80 a pop after shipping, pony up the few extra bucks and get the real deal.

12. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I actually do hear some V30 in them. But they are closer to the vintage greenback texture. Very woody speakers. One of my top picks.

13. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I have a 212 with Governor/Wizard and a 412 with V30/G12H30. Both sound great, I play from classic rock to 80's metal.
    The Wizard is my fave speaker

Jan

14. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Wooooo! :dude

15. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have both and the PJ is very different from the V30. The PJ is more like a greenback than anything else.

16. frankiej

frankiej Member

Ahh yes.. I get always get the V30 and greenbacks confused.

My bad.

17. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

the wizard/gov combo might be great but the wizard seems a little more efficient so it might dominate a little...not sure. I've played through each speaker but never at the same time. The gov seems to have more mids and is a little more 'dirty' sounding.

I really like my wizard alone or wizard/ cannabis rex combo.

I used to have a v30 and replaced it with the wizard. Much more detailed and full sounding with less 'icepick'.

18. barryoneal

barryoneal Member

We have A/B'd the Gov's and V30's in our bi-Twelve. I thought they were very similar, I've heard them described as more 'papery'. Some folks preferred the Govs others the V30's. My preference was for the Governor's.

barry.

19. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I've had both in two of the same amp (Gibson Goldtone/Peavey Classic 30) and preferred the Governor's by a long shot over the V30's. The V30's sounded like ice picks in the single speaker amps I've owned. I've heard they sound better in a 4X14 situation.

20. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I switched a V30 to a Wizard in a 50 watt 6L6 combo. I wound up replacing a 1x12 cab the same way because I liked it in the combo so well. However, I've found that playing both Wizards together, in open-backs, was too much of a good thing. Not enough mid focus. But one sounds fantastic - I used to always put out an ext cab, but not any more with the Wiz. The Wizard will expand and clean up whatever other speaker it plays with. It's very loud/efficient, so you may want to keep that in mind when mating with another speaker. It didn't pair very well with a GB128 (Emi Greenback), for example.

I play more lately through a RW&B, and use the Wizard to play backing tracks through. The Wiz kicks butz with drums and bass coming through it! It's got that kind of wide open quality. I'm leaving a Wizard in the combo, as I think it covers lots of musical ground, and it sounds great to my ears, clean or dirty.