Celestion vs. Eminence: Your comments.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamison162, Jul 27, 2006.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Typically you either favor one or the other (or something totally diff.).
    I've heard/read that celestions are the "standard" by which all other guitar speakers are measure. I've also heard that they are overpriced and overrated. Anyone compared the two (like kind) head-to-head and what were your conclusions/comments.

2. krash

krash Member

I have compared Private Jack vs. a greenback head to head... PJ is louder (more efficient), more high end, more low end, and is just better to my ear in every way. I also have Red Fang, Tonespotter, Wizard ... all of them great speakers.

3. chetsmith

chetsmith Member

I had Greenbacks in my Fargen, sound was thin and not as full as I wanted, A Friend of mine sold me his Tonkers and my amp came alive full Rich bottom end louder bigger sound just over all great sound.

4. bettiefan

bettiefan Member

I love my Vintage 30's, and I usually use a combination of cabinets with those and G12-75s in the studio. For my sound, I'm not really looking to get the speaker to break up, so that will make a difference.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

Celestion seems to be losing steam since moving to China and jacking up the prices. I actually like them both, but I'm a long time Eminence fan. The Swamp Thing is my very favorite speaker for Fender amps.

Eminence speakers are made better than Celestions, and of course you can usually get Emi's for half of what similar chinese Celestions go for. But that being said my main cabinet has Hellatone 60L's which are modified Vintage 30's..those just do it for me with my Soldano amp.

6. Ironman

Ironman Member

Eminence Wizards over Celestion G12H30 Anniv.'s. Liked the Man O Wars over the G12T-75 but prefer V30's over the Governor's. Wizards are my fave, awesome speaker for classic/hard rock and then some.

7. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I'm using both brands, MESA Black Shadow, V30, G12H30, Gov, Wiz, Red Ryder, and also a Weber Thames 12 is working really well, too.

8. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

I was a HUGE V-30 fan until I tried the Emenince Red White and Blues. Huge bottom,great mids, and nice top end. It sounds incredible in my Shiva 1x12 combo. Just for the hell of it, I threw a Texas Heat into my Shiva extention cab, and the combination of these two speakers is a no brainer for blues /rock. www.hellhoundslive.com

9. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

I like both, the Emi's are generally louder and more efficient like krash said but I'm leaning towards Emi's lately because of the price differential. To me the sounds of both are great but why pay the name premium for celestion when Emi's can give me an equally good tone for half the price.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

both are great speakers co's, but since Eminence
    started the Red Coat's, I have looked back.
    Lately, the Red Fangs have been getting
    the watts overhere.

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

From the few eminence speakers I have hear I really liked them. But I still LOVE my Heritage GB's.

12. LP26

LP26 Member

I have an Eminence Cannibis Rex in my DRRI. It improved that amps tone dramaticly. I also have a Red Fang in a Vox AC15 that to my ears is the equal of the Celestion Alnico Blue at half the cost.

13. sosomething

sosomething Member

I've got Governers and Man'o'wars in my Splawn 4x12, and I really like them a lot. They took a little time to break in and sounded a little stiff at first, but they're great speakers and a really good combination.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm not that experienced with Celestions. Can say that I'm digging the celestions Tony Bruno puts in his CT 45. A perfect match for that amp. My next speaker experiment will most likely be Emminence, putting a Cannabis Rex together with a Red Fang in a Twilighter 260 (pre-reverb magnatone). Or maybe 2 of the CRex. Not sure yet.

15. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Has anyone produced a definitive list for Eminence/Celestion equivalents? I'd like to see that. The descriptions are confusing.

16. krash

krash Member

well IMHO they really are not equivalent. for the most part the Eminence speakers are more efficient, have greater range (more top end, more bottom end), at least 2x the power handling, etc. why shoud Eminence submit their speakers, which are IMHO (and in their opinion as well I would think) better, to direct comparison with Celestion speakers?

17. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Someone did that in the Eminence speaker thread. But I don't really hear them that way. They each sound like themselves.

18. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

If I had only those 2 choices, I'd go Eminence. I had a Governor, Swamp Thang, and Private Jack. All were better to MY ear than the current 'regular' production Celestions.

I do prefer a bit less efficiency, so I was using the Greenbacks in everything.

Here's where I sound like a broken record, fair warning.....

I switched over to the Southbay/Scumback speakers, and have been thrilled. I didn't want to like them, but when I played them, it was over. I now have 2 2x12's with a H/M mix and a 1x12 with a 65 watt H. My favorite of the Celestion mix was the G12H30/G12MGreenback, this just sounds fuller, lusher, and more 3D to me. More like the old celestions after a gaggle of hours.

I also have a EV for times you just want to have a 200 watt peak speaker.

Bottom line, there's tons of great stuff out there, you gotta expirement and find whats best for you. For me it's the Scumbacks, for someone else may be something different.

19. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I've got a splawn 212 with a emi. man o' war and governor and I do not like the eminence speakers. I've also got a avatar 212h with 2 celestion heritage g12h speakers that I really like. No more eminence speakers for me.

20. granite

granite Member

I swapped out the Cel V30s that came with my Orange AD30R for an Eminence Cannabis Rex and an Emi Governor. I noticed an immediate volume increase and more clarity in tone, like lifting a blanket off the amp.

I also owned a Avatar 2x12 with an Emi Red Fang & Emi Wizard. Incredible combo for Voxish type amps. Eminence has their sh*t together on their speakers. They're tops in my eyes.