Celestion vs. Weber Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevieRaveOn, Dec 18, 2005.

1. StevieRaveOn

StevieRaveOn Member

Hey guys,
    I just wanted to check and see if anyone's had experience with both brands, especially the models that are similar. For the GB and H30 clones, how close are they? I've noticed the Weber version of the Heritage ones are a good bit cheaper than the Celestions. The options he offers is quite nice too, I'm just curious of how much the descriptions of the Celestion models I've gotten translate to the Webers.

Thanks for your time.

2. Roe

Roe Member

weber's c1230-55 is based on a old pre rola g12h-55. It's a GREAT speaker. I'd rather buy it than the heritage g12h.
    weber's c1230-75 is based on the g12h30 reissue. It's ok I suppose.
    weber doesn't make a ceramic g12m (except for scumbag/scumback).

3. 62sg

62sg Member

The Weber 1230-55 is an exceptional speaker. I have found them to be extremely close to my 71 G12H30's...very smooth highs after well broken in...deep lows with great definition.
    John
    www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I had bad luck with 2 Weber's and with Ted, I am sticking with Celestion.

5. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I really like the Scumbacks, which are manufactured by Weber for Jim. I like the standard Celestion G12H30's too, but havent messed with the Heritage speakers so far.

6. StevieRaveOn

StevieRaveOn Member

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I'm guessing it's lookinig like the 1230-55s. I was thinking about them for a while, and you guys may have pushed me over the edge. :) I bought four 1960As off of someone and I'm looking to load them up with a variety of choices.

Anyways, if anyone else's got an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

7. 62sg

62sg Member

Stevie...good luck with the 1230-55's. As I mentioned earlier, these are great, and please post your opinions after you check them out.
    John
    www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

8. 62sg

62sg Member

Hi, Mr. Hanky...
    which speakers were they...and may I ask the issue you had with them?
    Thanks..
    John
    www.stoneagecustomcabinets

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

10. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

In '98, I ordered a pair of alnico Blue Dogs from them. They were backordered, and they kept delaying my order until I finally cancelled it. Ted seemed pretty short on time in his responses via email.
    I had also heard of some less than stellar results from my amp tech when using Webers.

Last fall, I ordered two alnico Blue Dogs, 30-watt light dope, and two 1230-55's. The Blue Dogs sound pretty good, they cry a bit, but that's part of the design with these. They have a nice midrange resonance, you can hear it lightly tapping the cone. The 1230's were a little brighter than the old Celestions I had. They are breaking in pretty nicely, less harsh.

Ted does seem a little terse in dealings though.

11. 62sg

62sg Member

12. MARCO

MARCO Member

I can only account for the Weber C1230-55's as well. They make my Celestion G12H30 Reissue's sound sterile. The Weber's, although not as loud, were more detailed, rich and not overpowering in any frequency at all....very sweet sounding is a good description. I cannot say whether they were better or worse then the original pre-rola's since I have never had the pleasure to play thru them but once a long time ago. From what I have heard, they are the nicest sounding speakers in that price range. If someone can justify to me that Scumbags or Cele Heritage are much better than Webers then speak now or forever hold your peace !!
    "NO ONE WANTS TO SPEND MORE MONEY WHEN YOU CAN GET THE SAME TONE FOR LESS"
    :AOK

13. alguit

alguit Guest

I have a 2x12 with Weber Blue Dogs in it, and the cab sound fantastic. It's nice and chimey with the clean tones and gets very warm and midrangey when pushed.

I have a Vox with Celestion Blues, and it is wonderful, too, but I can't say they're that much better than the Webers, and Ted's speakers are around half the price.

I also have a 4x10 tweed cab with Weber Blue Pups and it's a very special cabinet. I used it last summer at an outdoor gig with a Univalve (one KT66 and it was JUST loud enough with a Strat), and the soundman thought it was the best vintage guitar tone he'd heard in years (hmmmm...he didn't say much about my playing...).

14. goneracin

goneracin Member

Ive had pretty good luck thus far with the Weber stuff. In particular the c1265. I have quite a few different models around here to test when I get the time. Im also going to have some C1265's made with the heavier magnet for more low "grunt".

15. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

LOL

Can anyone tell me another set of people more finiky than musicians?

If you are an artist, you don't bitch at your paint dealer.

And there can be a lot of hand holding and special
    needs people too that you have to glean information
    from to find out how to help them best on the
    quest.

I wonder how many calls Ted gets a day.

It all goes with the territory I know.

Like a lot of the folks who hang out here,
    he does it cause it is what he's into.

There is nothing quite like good tone.

:dude

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I know from my dealings with Ted & Weber VST that he gets about 200 emails a day, sometimes more. You'd probably get a little terse if you answered that many a day, I'll bet...

17. hipfan

hipfan Member

Not to derail the thread, but I'm getting a pair of Ted's 1230's reconed as 1265's, resulting in 50 oz. 1265's. I'm hoping to get the 1265 tone (I like the mids in these speakers more than H30 style), but with a firmer low end in a 2x12. The 30 ouncers work great in a 4x12 for me, but they lack a little low end composure in a 2x12 when pushed hard by a bass-heavy amp IMO.

18. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I have only one experience
    I have an ALnico Silver back 50w/50oz
    it's run with a Mesa C90 in series in a 2x12

it's a GREAT sounding speaker
    like a great old greenback tone, but smoother topend and a lot more lowend

great, great speaker

19. Shea

Shea Member

I got a pair of ceramic Blue Dogs back around 1999 or 2000. I've never liked them. They do have some Greenback vibe to them, but they also have this nasty high end on top that's very annoying. Their high end response makes all amp distortion sound like tearing paper. It'll make an amp with presence set to zero (or no presence control at all) sound like it has the presence dimed, all the time. I had hoped this "break in" phenomenon would fix the problem, but no such luck. I hoped it would sound OK in a full band context, but nope -- my tone sounded like a mix of static and angry bees the last time I used these speakers.

They don't handle a lot of bass very well either, but in that regard they're no worse than Greenbacks.

Shea

20. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I sent Ted an email with a question and he responded very quickly. I had a follow up question and he responded immediately.

I pulled the trigger on a C1265.