Cello sound from a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Daniel B., Mar 10, 2008.

1. Daniel B.

Daniel B. Member

Does this exist? Any pedals that simulate an instrument such as a cello or violin? This may seem like a blasphemous question...:nono

2. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

ebow, HOG/POG by electro

3. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

If used properly an E-Bow can do a very good string simulation, and you can get some Cello-like sounds on the lower strings.

4. Daeveed

Daeveed Member

You could also probably get by with an e-Bow and an Octave pedal.

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

+ 1 on the E-Bow. That and maybe a Menatone Howie through a Vox, Dr. Z, or some other EL-84-type amp.

6. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Fret hand hammer ons and volume rolls. Experiment with the repeats on your delay. Sounds cool.

7. marmelade sky

marmelade sky Member

no pedal for that purpose

E-bow is quite fake, and only reacts on 1 string at a time.

the best is to get a violinguitar playable with a bow such as the togaman guitar:

http://www.togamanguitars.com/artists/index.html

big budget stuff however...

8. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Arpeggiated ebow on the bass-side guitar strings sounds very much like a cello.

It needs to be done by actually changing strings quickly, not just arpeggiating on one string. It takes some practice.

9. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

+1.

I get something similar to violin/cello sounds using this technique. Be sure to use a healthy amount of gain as this adds to the tone on the lower strings. I'm sure it doesn't sound exactly like one, but I had someone in the audience come up to tell me she didn't know you could make a guitar sound like a violin.

10. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

digitech space station will give you string swells, but they will be covered in a thick layer of space cheeziness.

I used a casio guitar (mg500, like a mg510) and a synth for a long time to do cello drones in the background.

11. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Violin Bow & some light fuzz of sorts. :)

Flat wound strings work better with a bow also.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Big Muff...a 500lb cello.

13. Daniel B.

Daniel B. Member

Some good ideas, thanks for the replies. I wish the ebow didn't cost like $100, jeez. I've seen a guitarist from Flyleaf (randomly, can't stand the band) and also Wes Boreland use an actual bow on a guitar, but that looks ridiculous to me. I need to get a synth pedal. Delay and gain swells seems like the cheapest way to get it done. Darn volume knob on my Les Paul doesn't turn very easily though...

14. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

You don't want to spend $100 on an Ebow, but you want a synth pedal? Don't most synth pedals cost more than $100?

15. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

A Boss Slow Gear can come pretty close, at least in terms of the attack. It can also do a pretty cool backwards guitar simulation that's a lot easier to control melodically than a reverse delay...

D7

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Man...I can't believe it.

The answer is simple, volume pedal (or if you have a strat work on using pinky to turn vol, but volume pedal is easier).

REALLY..honestly, 5th nd 6th string in the first 10-12 frets, give you cello, higher strings give you violin. Probably a slo-gear will do too, but with a volume pedal you can ALSO use it...to adjust volume. Stick it after dirt, and everything except delay if you use it.
    Hands-free volume adjustment.

It helps to apply good left hand vibrato when you volume up the notes. Also requires a little practive with the volume pedal, but you get the real deal, it does sound like a violing or cello.

17. Daniel B.

Daniel B. Member

I am aware of the volume/gain technique. Just didn't know if anything specific existed in the market for such sounds...really, honestly...

18. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

and the behringer knock off is about $30.

A volume pedal (or knob) will do the same thing, though.

19. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Guyatone and Pigtronix also make slow volume type effects. Both are easily found by Google. There are also many reverse delay effects which are also easy to Google.

Jonsi of Sigur Ros bows his guitar (low string only I think) with a cello bow - his sound is awesome and I don't think he looks stupid at all - just my opinion.

You could get a Sustainiac installed on your guitar - like an Ebow it "bows" your strings electrically but it will work on more than one string. However, the lower strings will always dominate if you sustain a chord. And it will cost you a lot more than $100.

20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's cool, didn't mean to be bombastic, just I was amazed, mainly because no auto-thingy like a slow gear etc. is going to give you the control that a volume pedal does, which is what can make or break that kind of sound. That along with vibrato (finger or bar) or slide (even better! which makes it effectively fretless just like the real thing) and the ability to react as a musician to the moment for a slow rise in volume or faster, etc...just, seems weird to even want something that just does it for you.

To me, but what I think...lots of folks use things I wouldn't think of using and make music I love to hear out of it so to each his own!