Celluloid Nitrate Strat Pickguard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by winkofaneye, Oct 10, 2008.

1. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I managed to get hold of a guard made from NOS 60's nitrate.I have a nicely aged '62 reissue stratocaster from 1989,and I've never liked the too-white guard on it.The 'green' guards of the old 60's strats look cool to me,and would suit the guitar,but the NOS nitrate guard is white,as it would have been new.How can I age it,to speed up the 'greening' process?I dont want to dye it or spray it,just age it.I assume UV plays a part in aging,but its mid autumn here,so no chance of sun rays,what would be suggestions from fellow TGP'ers?

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

My understanding is that the original nitrate guards were always greyish green, and this obviously changed with age depending on the exposure to environmental factors. If you have a "pure white" guard, it will probably never look like a real early 60's guard.

3. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

When I say white,its not brilliant white,more of a smoky white.The old guards went various shades of green,I'm looking for a subtle shade really.

4. MikeJungle

MikeJungle Member

wow...any pointers on where i can find a pickguard like yours?

5. damo7v

damo7v Member

This is only a dim recollection, so take it for what it's worth...

I seem to remember reading that a big part of the green effect was the reaction between the white and black layers of the guards - that it was colour leaching from the black layer over time.

I suppose that would suggest that given time you're nitrate will age accordingly.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It's already had at least 3 decades to age! What else is it gonna do?

You could try a coffee/ green tea bath...or you could take up smoking...or you could book some tanning sessions and meet some hot babes too, and when they see you with your pickguard in hand..well nevermind! Just screw it on and play it!

7. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Fatboy Guitars UK.Cool site for relic stuff.

8. greenguard

greenguard Member

Who told you it is celluloid?

I got one from Fatboy UK and it is certainly NOT celluloid nitrate -- just a plastic aftermarket guard that has been scuffed a bit. :dunno

9. Redbell

Redbell Member

It probably won't age much more but leave it exposed to sunlight, perhaps?

10. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Its not the usual ones he sells.This was a run of 60 guards he had cut from original nitrate back in the summer.You can tell straight away that its celluloid from the appearance and 'flexiness'.

11. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

I have tried that and it is working,but its winter now,and UV is not so strong.I left it in direct sunlight,and it went a very slight green.Not quite there yet though.