Celtic Amps Thread - (A Review of Sorts)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Last Nerve, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

So I've spent a few days with my new Celtic Amps Austin #1 (specs below) and thought I should share my enjoyment of it with everyone.
    I've had quite a few of the low watters (Valve Jr., Gries 5, Goodsell 5, Swart SE, etc.), so while I haven't spent months with this amp, I have a ton of experience with this type of amp.

Scott was a pleasure to work with. Always informative and responsive. The amp was packed UNBELIEVABLY well, and the tubes, extra knobs, and fuses were all packed in a box stuffed in the combo. I should have taken pics before I unpacked it, it was that solid.

I guess the Austin (named after Scotts new grandson, NOT the city, even though he's in TX) is around 7 watts. I can tell it is a bit louder than the Swart and Gries I previously owned (which were louder, IMO, than the others) and the range of tone from the amp is really great. The inclusion of a 12" speaker (and a great one at that) really makes the tone fill out in the end (like Oprah, pre-diet days!) and it quickly fills a room.

The amp is quite a looker as well, as the tolex job is classy and extremely well done. The amp is overbuilt in every department, including some little things like a 12' power cable.

While the amp may not be a ground-breaking new design, it is the little things that quickly add up to this being something special. Every resistor and capacitor was hand tested for tolerances and the "best" (in the builder's opinion) of all components were used.

Was a GREAT price and Scott worked with me. I think that deserves some recognition!

This is Austin #1, so it isn't on the website yet. I'm in Los Angeles, so maybe I can find a way to get some clips to Scott for this amp.

www.celticamps.com

Celtic Amplifiers Austin 1x12 Combo
    Single Ended 6V6 powered 5F2A tweed Princeton circuit in a retro
    '50s looking wine and cream tolexed enclosure
    Weber 12F150 Vintage Speaker 4 ohm
    Mercury Magnetics Transformers,
    SoZo, Sprague, Switchcraft, resin tag board.
    TAD 6V6, TAD 12AX7 and a NOS Jan/Phillips 5Y3
    Single Tone and Volume control. High and Low Inputs

Three position power switch (On/Standby/Off)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Last Nerve

And since this is a Celtic Amps Thread - let's here from some more owners! :)

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

OK, I have Dierdre. I think it is the one and only. Basically a Matchless HC-30 style head. I have had it for a couple of days now and only scratched the surface. However, it is one of the most dynamic and pleasing amps I have ever owned. It is also my first amp with an EF86 and I am really, really digging that tone. The workmanship is top notch and it is probably the heaviest amp head I have ever owned. I don't know what kind of iron is in this thing but the transformers are as big as a Volkswagen. I think it weighs more than my SimulClass MkIII Boogie wide chassis head did!

I can tell that Dierdre and I are going to have a good time together and I am actually going to try to hold on to her....but I have a problem with hot women, you know. LOL.

Mike

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Nice looking amp.:AOK

When I was looking for a 5E3 I talked to Scott and was ready to go with his model but a friend offered to build it and I ended up with the gkoelling amp.

I like the two-tone tolex. Very nice.

5. Last Nerve

Thanks, gkoelling.
    I did that amp of yours too. Nice head/cab, classy looks.

MORE INFO - Messed around with both inputs and WOW, it is like having a different amp. The High Input is like taking the Low input and cranking the gain.
    Nice crunch and quite a surprise!

Kudos again to Scott. :)

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I've spoken to Scott several times over the last few years. Even though I have not been 'serious', he's answered my questions without a hint of scorn. I REALLY want an Edana, which looks like the kind of amp I would have (Cherry) wood for. The reviews have been outrageous, and he clearly takes great pride in what he does.

While I am not in the position to buy one of his amps (been out of work for the last few months), this is one builder that I wish desperately to stay afloat until I can get one of the beautiful amps. Reasonably priced, and superiour workmanship.

Extended bump for someone I respect.

EP

7. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Afterthought:

Scott: If you are reading this, it would be beneficial to recommend cabs for your amps. What the Edana is voiced for should be on the webpage. A minor thing, since Scott is responsive, but anyone interested should get an idea of what they'll need...

8. Stratman

Stratman Member

Scott built 007 for me and I am exceptional pleased with this amp.

It is roughly based on the JTM45 type head using GEC KT-66 (Original GEC, might I add) and has a switch in the back called "Sweet/Bitch", which allows the user to change the voicing of the amp.

I typicall use this amp with channels jumped (Normal and Treble), same as the old JTM45 and Bluesbreaker Marshalls.

While I also own an old Marshall JTM45 and another JTM45RI, this is the amp that I use when I really want my tone to stand out, cutting heads against other guitar slingers.

PS: It is encased in a Cherry wood shell that is out of this world.

9. Stratman

Stratman Member

Scott also built this amp for me and I tried the first one ever made (Sold to Les Strat, down in swamp country)

You can hear some of this amps features on you tube.

PS: You can also head Edana on www.Celticamplifiers.com that me playing clean with just a touch of outboard reverb.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

^^^ The clips page on his site isn't working. ^^^

11. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

How much does one of those cost? That thing is sweeeeet!

Cheers

12. Last Nerve

You'd have to email Scott for pricing.
    The Austin is a new addition to the line and I'm not sure what he will be asking for it.

13. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

From one Celtic owner (Edana #005) to another......WELCOME !!! :BEER

The Edana is basically a JTM45 & I run it thru a Marshall 1966A 2x12 cab w/V30 & H30...occassionally pair it up with a Marshall 1965B 4x10 w/Celestion G10-35Ls & 2 Weber alnico Blue Pups.

[​IMG]

GREAT AMP !!!! :AOK

14. MLG8675

MLG8675 Member

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Last Nerve,

Do you know why Scott uses a ceramic speaker in this amp? Better head room? More volume? Being a 5F2A it would normally have an alnico.

I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Greg

16. Last Nerve

I guess he demo'd a ton of speakers for this one (being the first and trying to refine the components for later builds) and I'm pretty sure he mentioned the increase in headroom and volume. IIRC, this was also the speaker in my Gries 5 (though installed after being purchased from Gries by the original owner) and, IMO, sounds great!
    Very full, complete spectrum and no real boxiness.

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had a 12F150 in a DRRI and it's a great speaker in a Fender circuit amp.

I thought it might be a headroom and volume issue.

Thanks