Cemetery worker charged with stealing $2,000 guitar from casket

Discussion in 'Stolen or Lost Gear Registry' started by ripoffriffs, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0-guitar-from-casket-20110926,0,6121832.story

4:11 PM CDT, September 26, 2011

A grounds superintendent at a Wisconsin cemetery is accused of stealing a $2,000 guitar from the casket of a man who died recently.

Steve Conard, 39, was charged Monday with theft of moveable property from a corpse.

The family of the dead man said a Fender Telecaster guitar was in the casket Thursday afternoon when it was being moved from the funeral home to the Allouez Catholic Cemetery's mausoleum in Green Bay, according to investigators.

A cemetery employee later overheard Conard talking about the guitar, the sheriff's department said. "That's a Telly, a really expensive guitar. I have to have that guitar. It's too expensive to be in a crypt," the employee quoted Conard as saying.

The employee looked in the casket Friday morning and the guitar was missing, investigators said.

During questioning over the weekend, Conard told investigators, "This isn't something I normally do; I just have a respect for fine musical instruments," according to sheriff's department.

Deputies found the guitar in his home, the department said.

The suspect's employer, the Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, said the man is on unpaid leave pending the result of the criminal investigation.

The guitar was returned to the family and the man and his guitar were entombed in a crypt in an interior mausoleum on Saturday, diocese deacon Ray DuBois said.

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Jeez, that's low. I plan to be buried with my 68 LP Custom, I guess I'll have to take steps to make sure it's there with some family members.

3. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

Why be buried with it, instead of passing it on to a loved one; family, friend, etc. ?

Just curious.

DanSimon, No_Stairway, NicDo and 13 others like this.
  4. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

ALLOUEZ, Wis. -- Randall Jourdan will spend eternity with his beloved Fender Telecaster after all.

It was returned to Jourdan's coffin over the weekend after the grounds superintendent of Allouez Catholic Cemetery and Chapel Mausoleum was accused of taking it.

Steven Conard, 39, was charged Monday in Brown County Circuit Court with theft from a corpse. If convicted, he faces 10 years in prison and a fine of $25,000. Brown County sheriff's deputies recovered the guitar from Conard's home in nearby Bellevue, Wis.

Family members say Jourdan's hands had been wrapped around the instrument's headstock as he lay in his coffin. Jourdan, of Oneida, Wis., died Sept. 19 at age 67.

Jourdan's live-in girlfriend, Shirley Schuyler, said Jourdan owned several guitars, many of which were displayed at his wake and funeral. But the Fender Telecaster, a custom-built reproduction of one played by a famous musician, was Jourdan's favorite.

"It was his one wish to have it with him," Schuyler said. "Whether he said it jokingly or not, he always said it, and that's what we tried to do."

Deputies learned of the theft Friday from the Catholic Diocese of Green Bay's director of facilities, Tammy Jo Basten, who reported the guitar missing from the casket.

The instrument had been in the casket when employees of Ryan Funeral Home transported the body Thursday to the suburban Green Bay, Wis., cemetery, the sheriff's department said. Funeral home employees verified its presence at the request of the dead man's family before putting the casket in the diocese's burial chamber.

5. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I understand loving an instrument. But having it buried with you seems to say, "Nobody ever gets to own or play this guitar but me, even if I can never play it again." It just seems like a very selfish act.

Of course, that doesn't mean it was okay to STEAL it...

6. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

This presents a bit of a challenge

Artjr likes this.
  7. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

How many years have to pass before I can dig up guitars people have been buried with as an "archealogist?"

The Whiz and Randall Pearson like this.
  8. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

I agree. I respect people's wishes on these matters, but I'd rather have my guitars handed down to someone. I would have loved for someone to hand me down a nice electric guitar when I was younger, but I was not as fortunate, so I'd like to do that for someone someday. It'd certainly do me no good being dead and all, lol.

Gristlepig and Tiny Montgomery like this.
  9. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

i encountered someone else who wants to be buried with his guitars

what if all the strativari violins had been buried with their owners?

if the instrument is that great why bury it? not going to do the owner any good in his next life....

10. bilbal

bilbal Member

If I "wake up" and find a guitar on top of me in my casket, Im gonna be pissed. Give me a way out instead. I'll reunite with the guitar later. :)

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Why kill the guitar because the owner dies?

12. gishlullmoon

gishlullmoon Member

13. Franklin

Franklin Member

Well, in the guy's defense it was a Tele....

But I too do not get the bury me with my guitar thing. I would rather a stranger, or even somone I don't like playing it if they could enjoy it.

roachone and Tiny Montgomery like this.
  14. Canon

Canon Member

Still wondering, if the guy would have gotten away with it, how could he actually play the thing with a good conscience?, seems worse than just snagging a piece of jewelry.
    Paybacks are hell, maybe he is lucky he only is at the mercy of the law.

15. Modulator

Modulator Member

Woulda been sweet if it ended up being haunted. :omg

16. Lamont

Lamont Member

Hey , its his gutar .. If that was his last wish , so be it . Ive got my guitars all going to certain folks ,, but my 1st run Klon w. horsy is being buried or burned w/ ME , :Devil:Devil

17. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I'll be too dead to care what they bury me with.

Except a charged cell phone, water, and a sandwich. That could be handy.

roachone and eclecticsynergy like this.
  18. MG90

MG90 Member

He should have kept his big mouth shut and his plans to himself. I think he did the right thing. Saving a custom made tele from rotting with a corpse. Now who wants it all stinky and slimy?

19. BaldPaul

BaldPaul Member

Why take one with you?
    Les Paul And Leo Fender are both filling new orders on the other side.. I hear the tones are heavenly.

Mickey Shane, JAP09 and Rod like this.
  20. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

...Selfish some have posted?....I came as near to death as a person has a right with Mr.C...and I don't mean to be beating a Dead Horse...I survived, a GOOD sum of my 'gits were passed forward (which, in itself..is liberating, My Wife and I are in the process of forwarding other inantimate objects..you know? Things!!!.. which allows us to watch/see others and loved ones enjoy)...The rest..Went for the Damn medical expenses...If I wanted to be Buried/ cremated with one lousy 'Git...Bury the Bastage Grave robber!!!..Egad, I HATE a thief...and especially one the works in a grave yard where he has the means to desicrate the DEAD!!!. Tom

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012