Cemetery worker charged with stealing $2,000 guitar from casket

Discussion in 'Stolen or Lost Gear Registry' started by ripoffriffs, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Darth Weller

Darth Weller Member

The guy might have owned a lot of guitars and that was the one he wanted with him. We've come to the point where a man is selfish for doing as he wished with his property and we don't even know how much he has, or remember that what a man or woman does with what they own is up to them, so long as they harm no one. I think smashing guitars is pretty heinous, some kid could have played that, but some dork has to recreate Pete Townsend's Dexi fueld hissy fit and Hendrix one upping him when he had to go on after the Who at Monterrey. But it's their gits. Rock n Roll is pretty selfish sometimes.

Stories like this are great, YOU can decide what YOU will do with your gear when you kick off now, and if you wish, give it to others to enjoy and create with.

Guy could have had a lot of loser family, maybe he knew there was a good chance his Tele would be used to buy meth and a concrete blonde, or given away as part of his daughter's divorce settlement?

roachone and sportycliff like this.
  2. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

The selfish act is someone determining what needs to be done with someone elses belongings. There are no guitar shortages and what someone owns, they can choose what to do with.

Floyd Eye, roachone and Darth Weller like this.
  3. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

Thats sad I'm sure its happened before too just sick to think about it really, But you should see what poachers/grave pirates are doing in other countries less protected OMG.

4. brain g

brain g Member

Makes me think about the line of ownership of any given instrument.

Who had owned it before, why did they sell them, were they ever stolen or pawned, played by anyone famous; what is that particular instrument's story? Did it survive floods, fires, and custody battles?
    Were they loved and appreciated, or despised and abused?

Were they played every day by a dedicated player, or left in a basement, closet, or under a bed for years, becoming the closet queen so sought after by vintage enthusiasts?

How many Les Pauls were passed over by Pete Townsend, narrowly missing being smashed, and thus survived to be played by people for decades?

How many were wrecked and then abandoned after unsuccessful attempts at installing a Floyd or Kahler in the '80s?

My plan for my death is cryogenic freezing, but as the owner of several Gittler guitars and a Gittler Bass, even if I'm able to be 'reanimated' sometime in the future, unless medical science perfects immortality, those guitars will eventually be owned by someone else.
    Being made of stainless steel, and pretty impervious to moisture, extreme temperature fluctuations, insects and mold, unless they're in a fire, they'll outlast me.

How long will it be before they pass into the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are? Will they end up in a museum? Pass from popular usage like the lute?

What if Gibson regaines their position in the market and then dominates it, eventually becoming such a powerful economic force that it can force a law to be passed that requires every owner to be buried with their instruments, thus ensuring the viability of the company for another 116 years?

Or might your guitar be the one discovered in a cave in the year 2112, after music has been outlawed by the rulers of a dystopian society?

The history and potential future of something so connected to emotion and expression and yet subject to the whims of individuals and popular culture is fascinating to me.

5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Walking Dead better have a Tele wearing walker next season.

"With all due respect" burying a Tele with deceased guy is nuts.

T Dizz likes this.
  6. NamaEnsou

But it's just a thing, and more importantly, it was his to do with as he pleased. I wasn't happy that my old drummer threw his first drum kit off a cliff rather than selling it to me, but to this day I've defended his right to do with them as he pleased.

roachone and rich815 like this.
  7. rich815

rich815 Silver Supporting Member

Because he wanted to be buried with it

8. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

You are right, his property and his wishes.

Like the guys who get buried with a car I still think it is a bit wack.

Don't get me started on Pharaoh.

roachone and NamaEnsou like this.
  9. NamaEnsou

LoL!

I agree, but still figure, whatever they want to do with their non-living property, okay.

So....the Pharaoh. They really went overboard there, huh?

aiq likes this.
  10. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I'll bet that guy had killer dirty tones.

11. mwf511

mwf511 Member

The guy probably knew his family well enough to know ,none of them would use or learn the guit.Instead of being in the front window of the first pawn shop you come to!He kept it close to his heart.

12. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Heh, I knew a guy who tried to do that. Cashed in his life savings, bought all the drugs he could, and holed up in a hotel room with party girls, intending to go out with a bang, but didn't die. How he is alive is a mystery. We worked together for a time. One night at closing he asks, "It's past eight, is the front locked? Any customers left?"
    "Nope", everybody's out, front's locked", I replied.
    Him- "**** YEAH!", and he pulls a pint of peppermint schnapps out of his pants, pops the top off, and chugs it. They should make a movie about him.

13. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    Sept 26th is the 7 year anniversary - let's keep it going, folks!

supergenius365 likes this.
  14. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Would the guitar be in any sort of playable condition at this point?

15. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Ladies and gentlemen, it's the only way to get those "haunting mids".

T Dizz and supergenius365 like this.
  16. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Mr. Conrad should just have kept his mouth shut. Why do criminals need to monologue their plans?

17. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

And here I was waiting for the inevitable TGP thread titled:

Any tips on how to get dead-guy smell off of a Tele?

18. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

19. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

I am going to request I be cremated in a giant wicker man with my gear. Post mortem though. Thats important.

Knowing my wife Ill probably end up in a small urn without the ashes of my beloved instruments and they'll end up on Craigslist listed as "guitar stuff" for 100 a piece though.

20. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

Man I am surprised by some of your responses. Yes, I would rather have my guitars passed on (or wife sell them and spend the money or herself). That's me. But if my dad, brother, sister, mom, or relative asked that they be buried with their guitar, I would respect their wishes and I would hope other people would respect that as well. It's really a dick move to question someone's wishes after their death. I am thankful that my family wouldn't be worried about value or use of a material item.

I didn't see people bashing Eddie Van Halen for giving his bumble bee for Dimebag's casket. Or who knows, maybe there were people who did criticize the decision in forums as well. If so, I am glad I didn't see it.

Carry on....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018