Ceriatone 50 watt plexi???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gooma, Jun 6, 2006.

1. gooma

gooma Member

I`ve been looking at the Ceriatone 50 watt 1987 lead for a while now. It runs at US$580 for a full working chassis minus tubes plus postage from Malaysia.

I`m basicly looking for the AC-DC Back in Black album tone, or in that ballpark anyway. Figured that this is about the best deal out there for a PTP Handwired plexi. I`d have Nic install a PPIMV and i`d possibly pickup a hotplate also for home use.

There is quite a bit of info out there on the 18 watt TMB from Ceriatone but havent heard much feedback on the 50 watt plexi clone. If anyone has any experience with this amp or heard anything about it i`d love to hear your thoughts.

Brad.

2. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

Let me state up front that I have never purchased a complete kit from Nik! I have played some of his kits and they are very good! The first time I had a bunch of guys at my place to show off their builds the best sounding one was an 18 watt TMB kit from Nik using his tranny's. Built by a first time builder. I have purchased a number of chassis from him and his stuff is top notch. I have a Plexi 50 chassis of his that I am hoping to have finished in a few months. I got a turret board for it from a friend based on a standard layout and everything lines up. Mounting holes are perfect! His build quality is excellent and he is VERY accomodating with requests! Shipping time can get long if you are making special requests though but I guess that's to be expected! I'm talkin' about non standard chassis' and things that have to be fabricated upon order.

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

I had Nik built me a JTM45 clone about a year ago or so. It was top notch! And the sounds were very much like an old 60's JTM45. Even with shipping the price was killer for a fully tubed and working chassis. He was very prompt with emails and tweeking the circuit to my guitar types and music I played. Sadly I had to sell my amp for financial reasons, but I'd recommend Nik's work any day! Best of luck!

-Peace
    -Nate

4. gooma

gooma Member

Thanks for the feedback there fellas :)

I`ve heard nothing but good things about Nic and the way he conducts his business. I also hear his PT and OT`s are pretty good also. I just figure i couldnt go wrong with this amp as the price is soooo darn good for a PTP handwired Plexi.

I`m located in West Australia so shipping would`nt be huge to my part of the world thats for sure. It`s just that i`d like to have the luxury of actually playing the amp before buying it, but hey thats just the way it is.

5. gooma

gooma Member

Anyone else out there tried these amps???

6. Profklamen

Profklamen Member

I just bought one of his DC30 clones a few weeks ago. It sounds great, and is very well made. They are a bargain too.

7. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I've got his 18w amp. Build quality is excellent and so is the sound. I consider to buy his Lightning or DC30 as well. Anyone tried those ?

8. gooma

gooma Member

I`m really torn between the 18 watt TMB and the 50 watt Plexi clone.

I guess another option i`d look at is to have Nic install 6V6`s into the 50 watter ala the Voodoo 25 watt V-Plex, should sound nice at reasonable volumes with a PPIMV??

Man i bet those DC-30 clones sound real nice too.

9. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

I've got the 50W and it's really warm sounding. The sound projects well and it's the amp that gets the most playtime, even though I have a Marshall from '72 and a few custom made amps. Goes highly recommended and easily competes with amps costing two or three times as much.

10. gooma

gooma Member

Thanks for that, it`s really re-assuring to know, it`s a bit of a battle buying/building amps sight unseen, or unheard i should say:D so any input is really helpfull.

Just got an email from Nik and i may go for the 1986 50 watt Bass head that he makes, he`s going to see how the 6V6`s sound in the lead circuit as well as they take a bit of high end off apparently and compare the 2.

I`ve told him what sound i`m after (basicly the AC-DC back in black album) so i`ll leave it in his hands which one get closer.

Looking forward to adding one of these great amps to my collection.

Brad

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm not too sad about it ;) Well, maybe just a little.

I bought Nate's JTM45 and it is indeed a smoking amp! Based on this one, I'd recommend Ceriatone to anyone. The build quality is exceptional as is the tone!

12. Roe

Roe Member

50w - angus
    100w - mal
    if you listen to the track back in black, mal has a tighter sound than ang. Ang probably plays a smaller amp without much filtering.

13. gooma

gooma Member

Even tho i dont really play a whole lotta AC-DC nowdays i just love that tone.
    Their sound has changed slightly over the years and from album to album IMO. Guess it does come down to the way it`s recorded also.

Love Angus` sound and Mal`s probably even more, together they are pretty hard to top :D

14. Roe

Roe Member

if you like mal's tone, try a tvclassis pup and pyramid pure nickel roundwounds