Ceriatone amps - exact copies or not ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevenStrat, Feb 22, 2012.

1. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

I wonder if it's possible to copy amps like marshalls and fenders exactly.

Aren't those circuits copyrighted, thus preventing ceriatone from copying them ?

thanks !

2. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

The first Fender circuits were originally lifted from the RCA tube manuals of the day, and some say that RCA didn't originate them either. Marshall lifted their first circuit from Fender (The narrow-panel 5f6 Bassman, to be exact).

It is possible to duplicate them, as many boutique builders have. It's not an exact science, though, as the components they used then differed from what's available today. There are other differing factors as well.

3. Roe

Roe Member

no copyright. ceriatone sticks to the original circuits, using modern parts

4. wyatt

wyatt Member

No, while Fender and Marshall can claim copyright on their original printed schematic and layout drawings (the ones all over the internet), no protection applies to the circuit itself. Fenders were originally built on license to Western Electric, who used to supply sample schematics to companies because they wanted to sell them parts and tubes; the same designs were also licensed to Gibson, Valco and others. All the significant tube audio patents would have expired long before the heyday of the electric guitar amp.

But Ceriatone's aren't clones, many of their amps use the original circuit, especially the Marshalls and Tweeds (others often used tweak circuits) but their layouts, cosmetics, etc. are streamlined (cleaner) and updated, many are redesigned to use his existing chassis, etc.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. teemuk

teemuk Member

There are plenty of tube amps with circuitry that has still valid patents, Fender and Marshall included. ...But I doubt Ceriatone's copying any of them.

6. xStonr

xStonr Member

Even if those circuits were copyrited (sp?), they are manufactured out of the US so there would be no infringement.

7. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

They're not always exact copies. For instance, Nik's JCM800 models exclude the bright cap to reflect a common mod.

Mine didn't sound right until I added the bright cap back. :aok