Ceriatone choice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by benbenben, Feb 18, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

Hey guys,

I don't want to get into a debate about the brand, I'm just wanting to know some honest opinions about some of the amp models that he offers. I'm looking for something to replace my Blues Junior.

Basically, there's a few models that have caught my eye, mainly:

The Overtone Special
    The Muchle$$'s
    TW Clones
    JTM45

I'm not too well informed on the TW's but from what I've read, they really excel in the high gain area?

I'm hoping to get an amp that'll get some excellent cleans. I know the Overtone and the Muchle$$ and JTM45 are all voiced very differently.

I've got a fair few drives and my main ones are the Eternity, Zendrive, Silver Kiss and a RC booster.

I guess one of my most loved clean tones has to be John Mayers. Which of Nik's Ceriatone range you think would work well to get me in that ballpark, taking into consideration I need the amp to work well with the mentioned drive pedals.

Thanks guys
    Ben

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

not that it helps - but I'm SERIOUSLY considering a JTM45 from them....

3. benbenben

benbenben Member

Yeh, I've heard some awesome sounding JTM-45 clones! Gah

4. Kitarist

Kitarist Supporting Member

The all listed above are great amps. It really depends what kind of style do you play and what kind of tone do you want.

5. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Those amps listed are all great. I'd say they are more suited for dirty platforms vs clean platforms. Nik's Fender style amps would be better for a clean tone ala john mayer. That being said Mayer uses a dumble, so you could try the overtone which is dumble "inspired". I think if you like to use the volume control on your guitars, the Trainwreck amps can be awesome. With good pickups and pots, each number of the volume knob is like another channel on the amp! So you can get a full range of tones just from cranking the amp and working the knobs of the guitar.

I'd look at the bassman style amp, or even the super or pro. Nik may also build another style amp if you ask him. Might want to just send him an email, and ask "what is the best amp you can make me for john mayer style cleans that takes pedals such as xx, xxx, and xxxx?" and "how much and how long will it take". Nik is a very nice guy and answers his email pretty quickly.

Good luck with your search.

dk

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have an Overtone on the way soon. The other amp that looks good to me is the JTM 45.

7. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

The JTM 45 looks really nice to me as well.

8. crosse79

crosse79 Member

The Overtone will be what you are looking for However - why not you send Nik and email - he will be able to shed much light :)

9. benbenben

benbenben Member

I've emailed Nik already and he did suggest the Overtone, I just thought I'd get some added help from some TGPers.

What about speaker choice? There are a few threads about it but all with seemingly more expensive cab and speaker choices. Anything more in the Eminence/Celestion region? I'm thinking of a 1x12' first but will possibly get a 2x12' after a while

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

For Mayer tone, definitely the Overtone. It's a great amp and an absolute steal at the price. For a 1x12, an EVM12L is good, for Eminence, try a Red White and Blues for starters. Look at what some of the other D-style builders are offering for stock speakers.

11. benbenben

benbenben Member

Oh okok. What I'm planning to do is let this dude in Aus make the whole combo for me. I'm thinking of just getting the amp from Nik and getting McCustomCabinets to make me a 1x12' combo to fit the overtone in. He brings in Celestions, Scumbacks and Webers cheaper so any of those brands offer something like the EVM12L or the R,W and Bs?

12. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

i ordered an overtone 3 weeks ago (am in sydney) cant wait... and proposed the same question i wanted to be able to recreat the mayer thing but also wanted a fendrish type amp as well.... i was gonna go wither a bassman or the ovetone and nik said that the overtone was able to recreate some great fender cleans as well.....
    look forward to it....

13. benbenben

benbenben Member

What sorta speaker you gonna run it through?

14. Nathan.

Nathan. Member

My first post on the gear page :$

I know, this topic is off for a month now but, i'm wondering, if the orignal poster Benbenben and Monkjunior, have found what they looking for (the John Mayer's tone and wonderfull and warm fenderish clean) with the Ceria Overtone.

I'm looking for the same sound, and don't have the cash for a TR.

15. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

am not sure yet.... i ordered my overtone on the feb 4th... so i am guessing i am getting a little closer hopefully not too much longer....... if it is 8 weeks than i got anothe 3 to go i guess...

16. Kitarist

Kitarist Supporting Member

there are hundreds of orders for the overtone hehe
    you will get it soon

17. monkjunior

monkjunior Member

yeah its all good.... i havent built my speaker cabinet to go with it yet so it i'm not overly anxious about it....... all good....

18. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Nik, how many Overtones have you built to date?

19. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

He´s not Nik.. Kitarist is just the owner of the ceriatone forum. Therefore, maybe it would be best to email Nik directly with that question or post that question at the ceriatone forum (sometimes Nik goes there and answers a few questions).

:p

20. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I probably think slightly below 100 amps made. Why did you ask BTW? The way Nik works is he has one dedicated person that will bulld a particular amp. Some of the staff may do 2 types of amps. Usually each of them are specialized on one amp to maintain quality. So the guy that is making Overtone has a long list waiting for him. Not sure if Nik has put another guy to help him out. Slight delays are also due to components or parts not meeting their QC and they send it back to the suppliers. I think the principle is they rather wait a while longer than put in sub-standard parts that does not meet their expectation. Nik is quite fussy about stuff like this - and rightly so. So do expect a bit of delays here and there - but they try to deliver as best as they can. Mostly, they have been able to meet their timelines - so customers are happy.