Ceriatone DC-30, Suhr Badger and Power Scaling Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TroyHamilton, Jan 27, 2008.

1. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

Hey all...

Been amp-less for about a year now... so I'm thinking of asking an amp out on a date and seeing if things go well and we can have a marriage or if I should keep looking at the other fish in the sea. Give me your thoughts and insight...

I'm not playing anyplace in particular right now, so being able to control volume at home is key. I was pretty impressed with what I'd read of the Ultimate Attenuator, so I was thinking of a Ceriatone DC-30 couple with one of those. I know the DC-30 can crank, but the tone is SOOO nice on the recordings I've heard. What's everyone's expierence with these - both the amp itself and attenuated? Is it a dumb idea to consider running it into a 1x12 instead of the traditional 2x12?

Last few weeks I've been visiting a church and noticed a guy playing a Suhr amp. I must've been asleep when Suhr started making amps, but doing some research it looks like it's probably a Badger. His tone sounded pretty tight, though not sure what all he's stacking ahead of it. I dig the traditional 18watt Marshall tone and wonder what this flavor is like? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Power Scaling - thoughts? What amps are using it? Sounds pretty neat on the Badger, but I was curious who else is using it and what the results are?

Thanks much... not sure if anyone remembers me, was pretty frequent on here a couple years ago but had to sign up for a new username. (Think it was TroyHamilton15 or TroyH before.)

2. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I've played the Ceriatone DC30 amp at full volumes and also at lower volumes with the master volume down. The amp was totally sweet. Very nice indeed. You should send Nik from Ceriatone a mail. He will be more than glad to answer some of your questions. He's honest about his answers - if it sounds bad - he will tell you & offer you some other suggestions.

3. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

1x12s are fine with C-30 style amps. I've always had two ESS 1x12 cabs, but I hardly ever bother with the second speaker. In fact, I went for a 1x12 combo cab last year, which I'm still using and liking just fine. It's a great sound. Cheers,

Rob

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Trinity Amps makes a version of the DC30 on a 15W platform. They call it the TC15 I think. Might be worth looking at.

5. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Hey TH,

I own a Badger (along with a Fuchs TDS, Dr. Z Maz 18 and Allen Acomplice) and really love it. Depending on how you dial it in and what pedals you run out front and, of course, what cab/speakers you use, you can get anything from Marshall to very Dumble-esque tones. And, the amp itself has a fantastic feel.

I dial the amp in so that it's just below preamp and power amp clipping and then run a couple Jetter GSRs out front for leads (very Dumble-esque tones) and a V2.0 OCD for crunch rhythms (very Marshall tones). Instant four-channel cranked amp tone with no compromise. And, I don't have to compromise the clean tone EQ settings to get great OD pedal tones. That's a first for me!

The power scaling works as advertised and is incredibly helpful in tuning the amp for different venues. Interesting thing though. Fletcher-Munson and speaker response play a bigger role at higher volume ranges than I had imagined...and maybe even OT response is involved. If you check out the Badger demo where Peter Thorn runs the Drive/Power knobs almost to off, there's almost no perceptible change in tone, right down to almost off. Yet, do that in person and you will hear noticeable EQ changes, namely the highs become more noticeable and the bass slightly less noticeable as output level drops. The feel stays the same, but the EQ appears [to your brain, anyway] to shift around a little. However, record that same experiment and play it back at the same level and it sounds like nothing changes, just like the Thorn demo.

So, obviously, the human auditory system comes into play and I'm sure OT and speaker response do too. That said, it's pretty easy to make minor tweaks in amp EQ to keep it sounding damn near identical when you're paracticing quietly at home. But, in a band situation, I found that I don't have to make any EQ changes when turning down because the sound of the guitar in the overall mix doesn't really change. The overall frequency distribution and your place in it remain the same. Really strange! It's like the other instruments provide a mental reference for your perception of the amp tone and somewhat defeat the FM response in the brain...which makes me wonder if FM compensation in some attenutors on the market is actually a good thing or not.

It does have a buffered FX loop, but I don't like what it does to the tone when inserting FX. I tried inserting a TC Nova Reverb (which has nearly ideal buffer specs itself) and it just didn't sound right to me. I suspect it could be the power amp distortion after reverb that was causing it. So, what I did for the 1st time ever this past weekend at the gig was mic my cab into a really nice-sounding ART tube mic preamp into the Nova reverb (100% wet) into a small 4-channel Carvin PA for a wet/dry setup. BINGO! Amazing tones. HUGE. I repeated the same exeriment at home but substituted the Accomplice or Maz for the PA and, surprisingly, even though they're not full-range systems, those guitar amps/speakers sounded even better! Perhaps this is due to the fact that they're just amplifying a totally wet signal anyways. I dunno', but it just sounded great. And, the Accomplice/Maz preamp EQ was very helpful in removing boominess in the lows. NICE!

Anyways, all that babble aside, it's a great-sounding and great-feeling amp, takes pedals incredibly well, it's built like a tank and is super light and easy to carry. What more can you want out of an amp in this style? I love it!

Dave

6. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

I just took delivery of a Ceriatone C-30 last week. Its a loud mother, no doubt. I've been using it with an Airbrake and with that and the 15W setting, I can get down to a fairly reasonable volume and still maintain a great tone. If were to use the master volume, I could probably lower it even more. By "reasonable" I don't mean conversation-in-bedroom level, more like just "loud" instead of "painfully loud".

D7

7. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

s2amps - thanks for the input. I'll check out trinity's offering and see what I can figure out...

fuchs_meister - are you a sales rep for Suhr? Because you made me really want to check out a Badger. Thanks for all the great input!

8. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Nah, no sales rep. Just too much coffee and too much procrastination regarding digging into work today! LOL.

As for low cost and readily available D-style tones, I'd check out Omega for their mods to production Fenders, as well their custom stuff. Out of the lower cost D-style clones, their clips have sounded the best to me by far. Ceriatone and Brown Note have quite a ways to go, IMO.