Ceriatone/Hiwatt Clone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pale Rider, May 13, 2008.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

They are going to begin Hiwatt clone and I'm interested but I wonder about the build, quality, etc
    I have searched here for opinions but most threads just become pissing matches so I was wondering if there are any real earned opinions on the quality of Ceriatone builds-
    Thanks.

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm no expert, just a reasonably well informed amateur. I am on my second Ceriatone amp. I think they are very nicely put together. You can take a look at a gutshot of my 1987 build here - http://www.box.net/shared/static/rtzevxi8gk.jpg . As far as I can tell, the work looks neat and tidy. Solder joints are good. Apparently, the company has one person making all the amps of one particular model, so that person quickly gets pretty skilled at putting that amp type together. It's a very nice job, and a million times better than I could do.

I bought the 1987 as a fully constructed amp in a head case. The weak point for me was the head shell itself, which is fine for the extra $150 you pay for it. But, in reality, it's a pretty thin, cheap effort.
    However, I can see very little cost-cutting in the actual amp itself. Components are not top class, but are not rubbish either. The transformers are good (maybe not up to MM standard, but very acceptable) and are cheap as Nik gets them wound locally I believe, in bulk, at a very good price.

Also be aware that Nik does his own "take" on these classic amps, and some component values will be different to the original classics. This is good or bad, depending on how you think the amp sounds, I suppose.

Another bonus is that Ceriatone will add on extras like half power switches, and PPIMV's (ridiculously good value at $15) to your amp.

I'd say, if Ceriatone build an amp that is about the same budget as you are looking to spend, then you probably won't do any better. They also pack very well, double boxing, loads of bubblewrap etc.
    thoroughly recommended.

3. Cthross

Cthross Member

The build quality of my Plexi 100 looks top notch. Had it for over a year now and it sounds great. Clean and detailed wiring, shipping was quick, build time was quoted accurately, and the customer service was excellent. I had a master volume installed and it works really well. Mallory caps were used mostly, but also some JJ's. I'm still very happy with my purchase and can't wait to order another one.

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Nik does good work.

5. Roe

Roe Member

I believe the best hiwatt kit today is the sold by vintagehiwattrestoration.com