Ceriatone joins Game of Klones (Now it's called Centura)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Takk, Sep 24, 2016.

1. nycLPplayer

nycLPplayer Member

Anyone true bypass theirs? Love this pedal but there are certain other pedals that its buffer does not mesh well with. Think I have it essentially figured out but if anyone has already done it let me know.

[​IMG]

the board color enhanced to see the traces

[​IMG]

Primus DuPont and dani_boy79 like this.
  2. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

You've got the right idea but it should look more like this:

[​IMG]

Erswell and nycLPplayer like this.
  3. nycLPplayer

nycLPplayer Member

ok I think I got it

[​IMG]

4. JackInR

JackInR Member

I'm thinking of buying one of these, though I'm wondering how long I'd have to wait for it? Is there a waiting list, or?

5. Yogi_Sizzle

Yogi_Sizzle Member

Oh yes there is. I got on the list 4/18/17 and I am currently 2-3 weeks away according to Nik. so be prepared to wait :)

6. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

Looks like my hammond box fulldrives...no lie!

7. Sectado

Sectado Member

hi!! hear this quick test with centura on an fender and a marshall!!

FenderBigot and Traintrack like this.
  8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Have no idea what Centura, Game of Klones or even the original this supposedly is a clone of is, but commenting on the enclosure, like everybody else seem to do, true to the original or not, based on the size of electronics actually inside it, it seems to me like waste of space, that, had it been in a smaller and more fitting chassis, could have been used better on a pedal board.

Sounds pretty good though judging from the, in my opinion rather short and, in terms of showing different settings and the pedals tone on it's own, lacking demo.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  9. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

10. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

i feel that ceriatone are trying to recreate the actual aesthetics of the centaur, as well as the sound. there are already tiny pedal klones around, like the wampler tumnus, for those who want the klon sound without the klon size. this pedal is for those who want something that looks like the centaur, pedalboard space be damned.

11. nycLPplayer

nycLPplayer Member

Really enjoying the Centura with the tone a decent nudge below unity brightness into a already light crunchy Marshall. Normally I use the Centura to bring out more sparkle and a touch of grit in cleaner tones. That said since turning down the tone doesn't throw a blanket over the highs in a hamfisted way you get a cool saggy-esq/compressed driven tone. I am wired as the early version.

I am returning my 2nd broken Bogner La Grange which did this better than ANYTHING I have ever played but these things keep dying on me.

Rai likes this.
  12. Neon Soul

Neon Soul Member

Then you've already completely missed the point of what Ceriatone are doing.

Your opinions about space saving are moot, as you've not even taken the time to learn about the product you're commenting on.

valvestate and Washburnmemphis like this.
  13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

No I don't get it at all.

But at least you get something for your money.

Why spend money on several pedals when a single pedal can fill your pedal board in one go.

I wonder why Coca Cola hasn't adopted that sales strategy yet and started selling ½ liter soft drinks in 2 liter bottles.

I'm sure their sales figures would sky rocket if they did so.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  14. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson The girls can't stand it when you're doin'it right Silver Supporting Member

I think that there was a reason why those OG Tone Benders, etc. (inclusing teh Klon) were in larger enclosures. Pack too many temperature sensitive components too close together in a heat producing circuit in an enclosed space and you are going to get unwanted heat effects and other artifacts. Anyone who has ever played a small footprint Ge fuzz for any amount of time will attest to that.

I can give progress too much credit sometimes. Like Leo Fender, sometimes the thing is right the first time, and changes would require subtle increments to match design with the original magic. Case in point, there is still a (warranted!) huge market for the 5E3 circuit in a period correct enclosure.

scolfax likes this.
  15. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Face it, its the enclosure that's selling this pedal

scolfax, valvestate and rusty like this.
  16. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Enclosure is nice and I like it. However people are hearing that the tone. As someone who knows the original klon well and has played many klones this one does it better than most and that's why I have been keeping this pedal.

rusty likes this.
  17. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I'll stick with my MO

snow and steel likes this.
  18. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

19. americanmonk

americanmonk Member

Yes. It is. But that isn't a bad thing. Bill put so much effort into both the circuit and the enclosure and to have one without the other is against the Klon "way."

What honestly kept me away from the Klone game (after selling my original Klons for $400 each to pay bills... one month before he stopped production) was that the sound of each was *slightly* off, but more so, the enclosures just didn't look very good. I'm glad Nik understands that what made the Klon great was more than a slew of electrical components in a particular order. Until I can afford an original again, the Centura will stay.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    JK1965 likes this.
  20. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't care less about the enclosure. What I do care about is tone. I do not and never have had a Klon. I do have a Centura and it is a killer pedal. It sounds great with all my amps. Those who have both say its right there with the real deal. I don't have one to compare it to. But to simply dismiss it without having one is shortsighted.

americanmonk likes this.