Ceriatone Jtm-45 or HRDX with omega mod/speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FiestaRed869, Feb 28, 2012.

1. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

Been looking to make my first "big" amp purchase. basically I am looking for a good amp that can do Clean AND overdrive. I don't have the funds to buy a GREAT clean amp and GREAT o/d tone. I am sure in the future I will aquire more amps in my quest for tone, this is just the jumping off point and want alittle bit of everything. I have about 1k to spend and after a lot of research I landed on a Ceriatone JTM45 and omega mod HRD. the Ceriatone will be a bit more because I would have to buy a cabinet as well but they are close enough in price. I am going to GC over the weekend and seeing what I like but any thoughts on these 2 choices. Basically more interested in good OD's which is why I am leaning towards the HRD. The extra drive channel with the addition of some drive pedals gives me tons of tonal options. obviously I want good cleans for when I wanna bust out some little wing or under the bridge but most of my playing has some sort of OD. Any thoughts

2. Greaser

Greaser Member

If it were me and I already had od pedals I liked, I'd go with the jtm45. You should try and find a good used one though so you don't eat it too bad on resale if you decide to sell it later.

I used to have a hot rod deluxe, and now I have a hand wired tweed bassman. The hot rod was a nice amp, but I think the bassman is a much better amp. My hot rod did not have the omega mod though...

3. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

I'm alil confused is the jtm a 2 channel amp or 1?

4. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

The JTM 45 is a one channel amp. You would probably want some overdrive pedals with it. It's a good platform for pedals, but if you're looking for an amp with an overdrive channel and clean channel...than the Omega would be your best bet between these two. They are both going to be great amps.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you prefer Fender voicing, in a new amp, I'd go for a Gries 35.

The Ceriatone JTM 45 will be better built than any current Fender offering.

If it were my hard to earn $1000.00, I would probably buy a silver face
    Vibrolux Reverb or Super and reserve about $300 to have it refurbished as needed.